Necessary Roughness: Cancelled by USA, No Season Four

Necessary Roughness - Season 3There won’t be a fourth season of Necessary Roughness. USA Network has cancelled the sports drama reports Deadline.

A network statement reads, “We are proud of this show and its writers, which had a unique ability to address topical subjects before they unfolded in real life on the sports pages… We want to thank Liz Kruger and Craig Shapiro, the incredible cast led by Golden Globe nominee Callie Thorne and our partners at Sony Television.”

The first season of Necessary Roughness drew an average of 4.18 million viewers but season two dropped to 2.5 million.

Despite the drop, USA renewed it for a shortened third season, adding John Stamos and other new series regulars. The additions didn’t seem to make much of a difference with season three averaging 2.45 million.

The defacto series finale aired on August 21st.

What do you think? Do you like Necessary Roughness? Are you sorry that the show won’t be returning for a fourth season?

38 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Disney Spells says

One of my favorite shows! Love the Nico Dani storyline. You change up the whole show by adding Stamos then cancel it just when we were starting to warm up to the new format. BRING IT BACK! The rest of the shows out there suck!

2. Denise says

NOooooooooooooooo.
    This is one of my favorite shows!
    I loved to relationship between Danni and Nicos characters.
    I really hope there is someway USA will change their mind, please. I was really looking forward to the new season. It is a big disappointment

3. Chris Wheeler says

I really liked this show, They could have, at least, finished out the story lines. I think USA made a mistake cancelling this show.

4. steven says

you have take the two of the three shows I like on usa Necessary Roughness and Fairly Legal so I’m down to one show that’s why I don’t watch usa network thanks a lot!!!!!

5. Amanda says

Yet again, USA Netwrork leaves us hanging and cancels great shows, Fairly Legal last year and now Necessary Roughness. Maybe the Network should re-think how they market their shows and inform viewers of the new season. I truly believe Necessary Roughness was over shadowed by Burn Notice. Anyone that watched a USA Network show new exactly when Burn Notice’s series finale was airing.

6. anna says

what is word with all networks. they but on show and then with out warning they cancel it. but do u think they would gave us an Ending. NO they will not !!!!!!!!!!! I’m tire of these networks. they don’t about us ( the viewer), all they care about is the MONEY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!1

7. monieet says

Another good show is killed off for no reason. TV is sucking big time. I will NOT watch any new shows that come on your network. We get no F N closure. Danni, Niko, TK. Just screw the fans!

8. Georgia says

I hate this. I enjoyed watching the behind the scenes aspect of sports. I thought Callie Thorne was great in the part. I liked watching TK evolve. Scott Cohen (Nico) is on Carrie Diaries on the CW. I saw Marc Blucas on Blue Bloods recently and will look for him on his new show. I hope the others are back on TV soon.

The only thing I watch on USA now is Covert Affairs, which is really great this year. I miss Burn Notice.

• Donna says

I love Covet Affairs and for some reason I missed a couple of their recent episodes on Dish. I tried to watch the ones I missed online today and that player kept on messing up and I knew it wasn’t my connection. I tried about 4 times and had to keep on starting over because they won’t let you start where you left off. I will miss Necessary Roughness too and I wish they would at least give us a great ending before they decide to cancel it. I also like Suits too. Lately, it is upsetting to watch anything on TV because they always cancel the good shows and keep the crap going on and on.

9. Barb "R" says

I am crushed. I can’t even put into words how upset I am. I thought the way season 3 ended indicated it was over, but I hoped. I guess I just don’t understand what the powers that be are thinking when they make these kind of decisions. The dynamic between Callie Thorne and her co-stars was awesome, and got especially good when the writers FINALLY paired her up with Scott Cohen’s character, Nico. They gave me hope for romance. Well, nothing I can do about. But I probably won’t be watching much of anything on USA since they can’t figure out good shows from bad, and leave the audiences hanging. They are a cable channel, and not worth wasting my money on anymore.

10. vp44 says

There goes F—— USA ******** us out of a show that was really interesting and the cast was fantastic, bye, bye you STUPID network, who does’t know it’s ass from a hole in the ground. No wander your losing viewers by the 1,000.s you deserve it and more because you SUCK!!!!! HATE YOU HATE< HATE YOU!!!

11. Sonya J says

I’m very sad about this. I followed the show since season 1. Season 1 was great, season 2 was a total MESS, and season three was when they seemed to find their stride and revamped in all the right ways. Marc Blucas/Matt leaving had to happen. The love triangle with Dani, Matt, and Nico had gotten very stale and redundant. Something needed to be done to revamp the show and move it forward and I feel John Stamos was a GREAT addition! The writing got much better and the new characters brought depth to the show. Bottom line it’s all about dollars & cents and RATINGS and the show didn’t have them. I know a lot of fans jumped ship when Marc Blucas left the show because they couldn’t see the bigger picture, but I stuck with it, even through the very disappointing season 2. Oh well, it is what it is. It was great while it lasted. :(

12. mary. says

It was never the same after Marc Blucas left to do another show…..Killer Women…which comes up in January with Tricia Helfer. She plays a Texas ranger.