New Amsterdam: FOX Cancels Immortal Show

New AmsterdamFOX has decided to cut short the run of New Amsterdam, the dramatic TV show about an immortal cop from the Big Apple.

The series has had a rough ride at the network. Amsterdam was initially scheduled for Fall 2007 but was pushed back to mid-season. On top of that, FOX cut its episode order from 13 to eight episodes.

On the positive side, the series was scheduled for an unpopular Friday night timeslot but was ultimately given a shot on Monday nights.

Amsterdam’s season average of 8.34 million weekly viewers isn’t great but it certainly outperformed and outlasted Canterbury’s Law.

Though FOX considered continuing the story of John Amsterdam (Nikolaj Coster-Waldau) for another year, the network ultimately decided his story had come to an end. Still, Amsterdam executive producer David Manson hopes that the series will live on and find a new home on another network. Will that happen? Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

ARN March 25, 2009 at 4:51 pm

Also, Sci-Fi is owned by NBC. Are they kidding us by thinking they are doing anyone a favor in filling their Friday night line-up with canceled shows like “Moonlight”, etc? HELLO??? If we are Sci-Fi channel buffs, we have already devoured every episode of any of these shows – and are still mad at you for canceling them on your “regular” network! I am thankful I have DVR – or else I would never have been able to finish watching “Charlie Jade”, when, after a week on Friday night, they put it to 3AM on Tuesdays. Because they felt it was too sophisticated for sci-fi viewers? PLEASE bring on sophistication like that 24/7 you morons!

ARN March 25, 2009 at 4:44 pm

I loved the show as well – but the problem today is that idots run the networks, and they have no vision beyond the end of their greedy noses – and those are stuck in their wallets. Always looking for the next “instant hit” – and to hell with the fans who actually become devoted to a show! Too bad they don’t remember the phenomenon of a little show called “Star Trek” – canceled early, but went on to be a multi-billion dollar franchise! And don’t look to Sci-Fi as any kind ofr “saviour” entity – remember a show called “Stargate”? Noone except the network wanted that to end – not the creators, cast, writers, or especially the fans!

Jennifer March 24, 2009 at 7:20 pm

SERIOUSLY…WHAT THE HELL?? As hard pressed as I am to find anything on TV worthy of my attention, I finally came across this promising ‘New Amsterdam’ show that I found to be very compelling and THE FOX GENIUS A**HOLES CANCEL IT!!

POLLY March 23, 2009 at 6:19 pm

DON’T CANCEL NEW AMSTERDAM!

Tela March 11, 2009 at 6:35 am

So typical to dump another great show. Fox was smart enough to pick up some good stuff. They nabbed American Idol and So You Think You Can Dance. Those two shows get ratings like no other shows. It would also be nice to have some serious scheduling to mix up the week. Damn, damn, damn, damn. I LOVED New Amsterdam!

mike March 2, 2009 at 11:31 pm

I happened to stop at this site and learned of New Amsterdam’s cancellation. This show is one of the best written, best produced, intelligent programs of its type. It is certainly better than Medium. The immortality theme is heightened by its emphasis on his humanity. Move it to Sci-Fi or USA or Bravo. It’s too good to die.

Alexia February 22, 2009 at 6:28 pm

WOW another really great show cut. Why search for intelligent programing. It will only get canceled anyway. Kyle XY, Journeyman, etc….
I truly enjoy watching Fringe and The Mentalist. I bet those shows will cancel too.
I hope the Sci-Fi channel will pick up New Amsterdam.

matwon February 17, 2009 at 8:12 am

I LOVED New Amsterdam and looked forward to watching it on Monday nights. I even recorded it so I could watch it again, as did my son. Why is it all the good shows get cancelled and the mindless dribble gets renewed? Do the FOX Execs think the public as a whole has no brain?

Rachel February 17, 2009 at 4:01 am

I LOVED this show and was so sad to see it was cancelled! It was so awesome and I think it just wasn’t given enough chance. There was NOT enough advertisment for the show otherwise I think more people would have watched it. It was an excellent show! There is SO much crap on TV especially on FOX. Too bad they were too dumb to keep a good show.

elitaysmommy January 29, 2009 at 7:54 am

I loved New Amsterdam. I hope it comes back on!

Jeannie January 21, 2009 at 10:03 am

Please, please, please put New Amsterdam back on the air. I finally find a show worth watching after NYPD Blue that is not mindless, brainless crap and what happens….it gets canceled. Are you kidding? With all the crap on TV geared to people that are afraid to see anything that doesn’t include a straw up your nose or some air head bimbo you get rid of a wonderful show that has many, many stories to tell and endless directions to take. This show should be a writers dream. Are they not sick of writing the same old boy meets air head. Please reconsider this show and bring it back for the rest of us. It was not given a fair chance or a fair amount of time to take off. Some people didn’t even know it existed the first few episodes and when they finally found it and got into, it it was yanked. This show is right up there with the likes of Law and Order and NYPD and I’m not the only one that thinks so. Please….8 episodes are just not enough for you to judge. Some people just stopped watching TV because everytime a new show comes out it is directed at the young male and the bimbo girl. When finally a show like New Amsterdam comes along it takes a while for the word to get out that a really great show is back. Don’t let this one go, it would be a very big mistake.

Dave January 10, 2009 at 12:25 pm

Sorry to see it go. I couldn’t watch it on TV because of the time slot, but always caught up over the weekend by watching it at the Fox website. I’ve been watching a lot less TV this winter, but am home sick today and went to the Fox website to catch up on the show. I couldn’t even find a reference to it anywhere on their website to register my disappointment that it’s not there anymore.

Andrew H. December 13, 2008 at 10:11 pm

I hope CBS picks up the show because it seems only CBS knows what good television is with shows such as CSI, NCIS, Numb3rs, Cold Case, Criminal Minds, and the Mentalist.

I thought FOX would learn their lesson after what happened to ‘Family Guy’.

Ken @ Monroe, NC December 7, 2008 at 2:07 pm

New Amsterdam was an excellent show with an unlimited plot option. It aired a an impossible timeframe, yet many watched and enjoyed it. I just looked here to see when it would return and found out it was cancelled. Major error FOX!!!!!!!

We need new, exciting myster shows with a little SciFi mixed in. Let’s bring it back for another season. Like Start Trek’s slow start, this could mushroom into something really big if given a chance.

MJ November 26, 2008 at 2:32 pm

I should have realized New Amsterdam wouldn’t last as it was one of the best new shows I’ve seen in quite a while. Intriguing plot, mystery, excitement, great acting…of course it couldn’t last! Would sure like to see it resurrected.