Prison Break: After the Shocking Finale, What’s Next?

Prison Break series finaleAfter four seasons of jail, torture, perilous escapes, stabbings, and death, Michael Scofield’s saga has come to an end. Tonight’s Prison Break series finale solved many of the drama’s ongoing storylines and then, we were treated with a montage that shows our “heroes” four years down the road. And then, the unthinkable happened. While fans have all been expecting a big finish, few expected it would truly end this way.

Prison Break follows architect Michael Scofield (Wentworth Miller) whose half-brother Lincoln (Dominic Purcell) has been jailed for a murder he didn’t commit. To save his brother’s life, Michael concocts a detailed plan to have himself imprisoned and then to free both of them. Along the way, they realize they’re involved in a far-reaching conspiracy with dire consequences for all around them.

The show’s massive cast has included Amaury Nolasco, Robert Knepper, Wade Williams, Sarah Wayne Callies, William Fichtner, Paul Adelstein, Marshall Allman, Rockmond Dunbar, Jodi Lyn O’Keefe, Robin Tunney, Stacy Keach, Leon Russom, Phillip Edward Van Lear, Peter Stormare, Muse Watson, and Patricia Wettig.

The FOX drama debuted to solid ratings in 2005 but, over time, the audience’s interest has dwindled. In January it was announced that the show had been cancelled and that the story would soon come to a close.

Are you satisfied by the Prison Break finale?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

As difficult as it is to take, Michael’s final fate does makes some sense. Executive producer Matt Olmstead told the LA Times, “When we got to the end, the only real, noble thing for Michael is to have it be that what he did — the initial act and the ramifications — were not in vain and weren’t selfish,” Olmstead said. “So, good comes out of it, but he himself would also have to pay a sacrifice.”

Olmstead tells EW that, “It just felt a little weird for us to have Michael and Sara holding hands on the beach walking away — though that would be gratifying in the moment. Knowing that there was pretty much a scorched path behind them in terms of what happened, [having him die] balanced the books for us. He also paid the ultimate sacrifice and, in doing so, everyone else close to him was able to live, including his child.”

Thankfully for fans, the story’s not over just yet. There’s a two-hour made-for-DVD movie that will be released on July 28th. It’s a self-contained story that takes place during the four year fast-forward; soon after the characters are exonerated but before Michael’s death. We’ll learn the details about Michael’s big sacrifice and whether it’s directly tied to his condition.

Olmstead explains the premise this way, “Sara is on the hook for [killing] Michael’s mother and she gets locked up while pregnant. The tables are turned… once a doctor in prison now imprisoned, and Michael’s on the outside. The majority of the cast is back. It’s Michael, Lincoln, Sara, Sucre, T-Bag, Mahone… all the heavy-hitters.”

While Olmstead is sorry that Marshall Allman (Linc’s son) wasn’t available to return for the finale, he doesn’t have any regrets about how they’ve ended the Scofield story. He says, “Every story was exhausted. Every creative juice wrung out. It was a completely worthwhile experience, and I know the other writers [agree]. It was a difficult show to pull off, and we did it.”

What do you think? A fitting end or a disappointment? Either way, will you be buying the DVD in July?

delia vito April 4, 2011 at 3:54 am

may hapi ending sana si sarah eh

delia vito April 4, 2011 at 3:53 am

`hayyyyyyyyyyyyy im disappointed really i thought micheal still alive…the story hungs up

FAN January 28, 2011 at 10:00 pm

I pretend that show ended on the boat in Panama, Linc, Mike, Sarah… But, because it didn`t: MAKE SEASON 5 RIGHT NOW!!!!!! They can`t do this to us.

kara January 14, 2011 at 4:54 am

well, i would like to see a season 5 too…..in africa and kenya in particular, we loved the show, can we have michael back please? a spin-off would do for me.

Anonymous November 18, 2010 at 11:28 am

please continue with the show. make it seem like michae’s death was fake. the show wouldnt be the same without him.

david October 11, 2010 at 8:49 pm

This is the best show ever. it is so addicting and every season was great. for all of those who said the ending sucked i agree and disagree with you. We all hoped for a good ending, but that would just be retarded. I mean so many people died cuz of him, and it will be stupid to see him happy after all that. season 4 was good and people dont realize that it was all about revenge micheal and linc, fight against the people who put them in jail. I love prison breakkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkkk

ti-ti November 8, 2010 at 6:43 pm

people didn’t die because of him… it’s not like he killed them, so it’s not his fault.. he helped so many people, he was the last person that should have died. i hope this show comes back, that would make me soo happy!

Kavoo September 14, 2010 at 11:47 pm

Since i watched season 1,i have never stopped.A great series but an ending so tragic!bring back our Scofield,he cant die!am waiting for season 5

Ruth September 2, 2010 at 7:53 pm

At the end of the final show, could you please tell me the name of the song that was playing..thanks

samuel February 28, 2011 at 8:16 am

yeah that what my friend ammar saidhis body was not shown in the end and there would be season 5

sadprisionbreaklover September 2, 2010 at 7:28 pm

its so sad i loved the series im 16 years old they have some stupid shows on television why dont they get rid of them and keep prision break

Ammar August 27, 2010 at 8:56 pm

Just hold your ben and start writing a new story . as Colby said that ” We didn’t see Michaels body when he died and they did that for one reason and one reason only.” So, that’s not the end of the show it’s just the begin’. Prison Break depended on suprising us. that sence of Michael died is fake. it’s not real. so, that’s the point …
Hope to see it on Fox soon.!!!!

Anonymous August 21, 2010 at 11:24 am

i think there should be a season 5 because there is more of the story to come

Colby August 7, 2010 at 5:58 pm

CAP be quiet. Now the show was awesome and I don’t wish I could take it back it was so addicting like Tiffany said and the ending was very sad and made me depressed for a week! We didn’t see Michaels body when he died and they did that for one reason and one reason only. To make sure just incase they got put back on the error, they could continue with Michael and make a new story. I wish so much that they would bring it back up. There would be so many viewers FOX’s servers would go down. They did this same thing with season 1 but it was only a year. It’s been 2 years. If you guys aren’t going to come out with a season 5 then make 1 more episode saying how Michael comes back and he really didn’t die and he got the brain tumor out of his head again and have it a good ending so we can all be satisfied. I know I would. Thanks Colby.

CAP July 29, 2010 at 1:55 pm

I loved Prison Break, but the ending totally RUINED the show for me. I wish I could erase the whole thing from my mind and get those hours of my life back. What IDIOT decided that this was a “good” ending?! They just tried so hard to be edgy that they just became CLICHE. Thanks for nothing. I hope the DVD sales TANK. Morons…

Jonathan October 2, 2010 at 9:39 am

I cant agree more ALFUL ENDING !!!!

ti-ti November 8, 2010 at 6:39 pm

thats exactly how i feel! like the ending made me wish i hadn’t watched the show at all… this is bull… i cried like a little baby and was depressed for a week! there needs to be a season 5…

Anonymous January 7, 2011 at 5:03 am

Ha I’m so pissed!!! How could they fuckin do this wow

michelle March 30, 2011 at 7:23 pm

omg!!! i agree! this ending had me upset for weeks…i cannot believe all of the hell they went through all for michael to be dead in the last episode??? really?? i stopped watching during the regular seasons – probably during season 3 – and picked it up again on netflix…i hate the ending! but bringing it back without michael would suck!! i’m pissed about this one!!

Tiffany July 8, 2010 at 1:17 pm

I am only 16 , and I enjoy watching prison Break I believe that the producers should really consider bringing prison break back . I still watch the reruns with my brother , we are addicted to the action in each episode. Please make prison break come back

kris ordonio June 5, 2010 at 2:22 am

I think it was a very sad ending. I hope that producers and writers would work together in making another comeback season. I didn’t like the storyline of the fourth season. Probably that is why it had lesser impact on the viewers. The storyline of the fourth season didn’t fit the concept of the first season. There must be connection. I think the producers and the writers should make up for it. I hope there would be another season.