Revenge: What Happened? Has the ABC Series Been Cancelled?

Revenge canceled?This evening, fans of ABC’s Revenge may be in for a surprise. The freshman drama has been replaced by an ABC special with a similar name — Revenge for Real. That’s no doubt the network’s attempt to attract regular viewers to watch a news special. So, has the real Revenge been cancelled? When will it be back?

For those who aren’t familiar with the TV series, Revenge revolves around Emily Thorne (Emily Van Camp), a young woman who comes to the Hamptons with a secret agenda; to exact vengeance on the wealthy people who ruined her family’s life and reputation. The drama also features the talents of Ashley Madekwe, Christa B. Allen, Connor Paolo, Gabriel Mann, Henry Czerny, Joshua Bowman, Madeleine Stowe, and Nick Wechsler.

Revenge debuted to a healthy 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.0 million total viewers. Week two saw the all-important demo fall 18% and week three dropped another 11%. Over the next several weeks, the ratings rose and fell, dropping as low as a 2.1 demo rating.

The way things were going, it looked like Revenge might be heading for the cancellation pile — like so many failed ABC dramas that had come before it — but the numbers evened off and the show’s been averaging a healthy 2.5 in the demo in 2012. While the show isn’t a big ratings hit, it certainly isn’t a flop either. Revenge’s demo average is actually stronger than that of aging shows like Castle and Private Practice.

Unfortunately, ABC has now put the series on hiatus for four weeks — a bit of a scheduling gamble that could seriously hurt viewership.

ABC News’ Revenge for Real will take over for two weeks and then repeats of a new Thursday night drama, Missing, will fill the slot for two weeks after that. Revenge isn’t slated to return until April 4th. It’s unclear if that night will feature a repeat or one of the six remaining originals.

The way things stand right now, it looks like a sure bet that Revenge will be renewed for a second season. Hopefully, enough viewers will return to watch the show after the hiatus so the ratings don’t drop and put the series’ future in jeopardy.

UPDATE: Revenge will now return on April 11th with a recap show. An original regular episode will air on April 18th and the finale will run on May 23rd.

What do you think? Will this hiatus cause the ratings to drop or do you think Revenge is assured of a season two renewal?

Canceled and renewed TV show

Debbie May 20, 2015 at 10:50 am

Please don’t cancel such a good show my husband and I watch faithfully every Sunday night and even tape the episodes….GREAT SHOW!

Barbara May 14, 2015 at 9:17 am

Can’t for the life of me understand why channel 10 would cancel such a good show.
I am not a big television watcher, but this I must say is one of the best shows that I have seen on TV. They seem to keep shows on TV that really sometimes make no sense, and I know that everyone enjoys something different that is why they make chocolate and vanilla, but this show happens to be excellent with the best cast I have seen in a long time. Please rethink putting it back on. I know Emily’s revenge is over, but you can change the name and continue where it left off. It allowed you to think that it could continue.

Dar May 11, 2015 at 3:56 pm

Please do not cancel Revenge. I look forward every week to Emily. Love this show!!!!

Rowena Ulu April 6, 2015 at 4:37 pm

What happen to revenge last night? I am a huge fan of REVENGE i would like to know what happen if the show is ended for good or there is more to come… PLEASE don’t end it. I love EMILY THORNE and JACK PORTER..too much..lol

Pamela McGeathy April 5, 2015 at 1:56 pm

I’m a Hard Core Revenge Lover, it’s one show in along time, you just don’t know what going to happen next ,and I just can’t wait till the next episode!!!!! IT’S WORTH THE WAIT! FOR ME! However I couldn’t figure out why the episodes we’re so far and few apart? So.. if new people we’re checking out the show last year and started to watch season 4 I’m Sure that might be a reason why some people got annoyed wait and new shows we’re coming out, it was times it seamed it was two till three weeks had to wait in between episodes! !!! So.. I’ve was approached many times this year if it had been canceled in the middle of the season!! So.PLEASE DON’T CANCEL OUT IN NEW ENGLAND SATURDAYS THREE IS NOTHING TO WATCH! !!!# THANKS YOU FOR ALLOWING ME TO PUT INPUT!!!!! PAMELA.

Anonymous April 19, 2015 at 7:15 pm

I have been a follower of Revenge for the past 4 years. It is great. The actors are a delight to watch. The story line wanders sometimes, but I watched “mash” forever and so did their story line. But you loved the characters as I do with Revenge. So much of tv programming is so black and ugly. It is nice to have a crazy fantasy show that leaves you wondering ” what will Victoria or Emily do next. LOVE IT. Give it another go.
I also love ” Castle”. Great characters also.
Good job!,,

Sheila March 6, 2015 at 10:23 pm

I have been looking for Revenge. Hopefully, the series will return.

JAYSCORPIO March 1, 2015 at 7:49 pm

Please don’t cancel revenge. It’s my all time favorite show on TV. Its really annoying to wait this long for such a great show.