The Firm: Exiled to Saturdays; Cancelled?

The Firm canceled on ThursdaysNBC has cancelled the Thursday airings of their low-rated legal series, The Firm, and sent it packing to Saturday nights at 9pm beginning February 11th.

The Firm follows attorney Mitch McDeere (Josh Lucas), his wife Abby (Molly Parker), and their daughter Claire (Natasha Calis), as they emerge from the witness protection program after 10 years. They relocate to Washington, DC to restart their lives but problems from the past quickly resurface. The show’s cast also includes Callum Keith Rennie, Juliette Lewis, Tricia Helfer, and Shaun Majumder.

NBC had high hopes for the legal drama but it stumbled in the ratings right from the start. The two-hour premiere of The Firm registered just a 1.4 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 6.32 million viewers. The numbers got even worse once the show moved to Thursday nights and, for the past two weeks, has only mustered a 0.8 rating with fewer than three million total viewers.

It’s no surprise that NBC is banishing The Firm to Saturday nights with ratings like these. Grimm repeats will fill the Thursdays at 10pm timeslot for the immediate future. Starting March 1st, the peacock network’s new drama Awake will take over.

While it looks highly unlikely that NBC will purchase a second season of The Firm, it seems certain that viewers will get to see all 22 episodes of season one.

If The Firm had been a typical network show, the episode order probably would have been cut down to 13 installments because of the low ratings. However, NBC’s deal for The Firm is unique and a bit more like the one the network had for Merlin, the supernatural drama produced by the BBC.

Sony and Entertainment One partnered to produce The Firm, primarily for the overseas market. Thanks to pre-sales and Canadian production tax credits, the cost of producing the series was already paid for and NBC was able to pick up the show for a greatly reduced licensing fee, just like any other secondary buyer.

If The Firm had been a big success, NBC would have made quite a profit on the series. As things worked out, the network may still be making some money on the deal or at least hasn’t lost much.

Will there be a second season? That depends on Sony and Entertainment One, not NBC.

What do you think? Do you like The Firm? Do you think it should continue?

Julie August 30, 2012 at 4:14 pm

This was absolutely the best show on TV – please bring it back!!!!!!!

Betsy August 29, 2012 at 8:21 pm

Love The Firm , hope it runs for another season.

B August 29, 2012 at 3:23 pm

What do you mean “IT’S CANCELLED!!!” Everyone I know loves this show.

susan August 29, 2012 at 11:17 am

It’s my favorite show! hope it continues

diana August 28, 2012 at 7:13 pm

i cannot believe you cancelled the firm. if ncis and ncis la wasn’t on nbc i would not
watch nbc.
you leave the episode on the 22nd chapter, how fair is that

Nikki August 28, 2012 at 9:12 am

I like the firm tv show it should stay on……. It was one of the best shows. It kept me on the edge of my seat. The firm is a great tv show. This show was one of the best compared to what is on tv now. Please bring it back.

Debbie August 27, 2012 at 9:06 pm

This was one of the best new shows last year. It has so much more substance then the mindless reality shows that are on. Give it another try….it just didn’t have enough chatter but it will catch on. You should have run summer reruns. People who don’t like reruns of other shows would have watched and gotten hooked.

LaVerne August 27, 2012 at 6:03 pm

I cannot believe that a series as excellent as The Firm would end. It must go on and have a 2nd season…. it is one of the very few great story lines. Very realistic, exciting and full of suspense, intrigue,love, you name it, it’s got it ! The actors are all perfect for their parts. Of course Mitch is the best, his brother second, Joey is excellent and of course the ladies are very good. Come On People, let us have a decent show, give us the 2nd Series please.
For God’s sake, you left us just hanging after chapter 22 ! We need the rest of the story.

Lori Walker August 27, 2012 at 4:58 pm

They put in on on Thursdays and I already had Thurdays recording what it could.
The move it to Sat. Night. They did not give it a chance. It should have be moved to Mon or Tues. I don’t record anything on those nights. I am really getting tired of finding a show I really like then they get canceled.

Paul August 27, 2012 at 12:06 am

Please leave the FIRM on T.V. I am bed ridden and I look forward to this show every Sat. night, season YES!!!!Thanks Paul

Anonymous August 26, 2012 at 4:10 pm

I liked the show I think they should give it another try!!!

Linda Young August 26, 2012 at 9:08 am

Hi,

Please bring back the firm. It is a great show. I look forward to watching it every week. It’s one of my favorite shows on TV. I hope to see it back on real soon.

Regards,

Linda

bstarr August 25, 2012 at 5:05 pm

my wife and I vote for season 2

Cheryl August 25, 2012 at 4:39 pm

I don’t understand why the ratings were so low. It was a great show. Come on people, what is wrong with you.

Mary August 25, 2012 at 7:51 am

Love this show…..hoping for season 2.