The Riches: Izzard Says TV Show Will Continue as a Movie

The RichesMany fans of The Riches were left on the edge of their seats for months, waiting to hear word about the fate of the gritty FX series. Unfortunately, when the word finally came down, it wasn’t one they wanted to hear: cancelled. But, according to one of the TV show’s stars, the story isn’t over.

The Riches TV show debuted in March 2007 on FX. The series follows a family of Irish con artists who assume the identities of a wealthy family who perished in a car accident. The show stars Eddie Izzard and Minnie Driver in the roles of Wayne and Dahlia Malloy. Others in the cast include Shannon Marie Woodward, Noel Fisher, Aidan Mitchell, Todd Stashwick, Gregg Henry, Margo Martindale, and Bruce French. Stashwick broke the cancellation news to fans last month and an official cancellation notice came soonafter.

In a recent TV Squad interview, series star Izzard says that there are plans to make a Riches feature film, inspired at least in part by the interest of a famous fan.

Do you think a Riches movie will really be made?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Izzard says, “Oh, there was unfinished business [in the series]. We want to do a film about it. We want to do a film to continue it on….We’re already working on the script for it. Because I met Samuel L. Jackson in a lift, or an elevator, as you say, in London. And he was going, ‘So what happens with your kids…they gonna be ok, you continuing, what’s going on?’ So I thought, well, if Samuel L. Jackson wants to know what’s going on, we have to do a film. So we’re going to pick up…the plan is to pick up exactly where we left off, and we think we’re going to make a film of the next bit.”

The actor believes the timing for a movie couldn’t be better. “You know, with the Internet exploding, with all the finances going through the roof, we’ve got passionate fans. We had great reviews, and passionate fans all over the world… But we didn’t have the right number of them. ”

While the show’s declining ratings ultimately doomed it, Izzard believes simply measuring a show’s popularity via traditional television viewers is unrealistic. He said, “And how you test with these Nielsen boxes, it’s antiquated. It’s 1950′s technology, and we’re doing stuff that is different. People are looking at it in different ways.”

He concludes, “Numbers apparently stopped us, but passion keeps it going.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

BRING IT BACK! June 13, 2011 at 12:45 am

please…

tina June 3, 2011 at 6:43 am

Watched all episodes on Netflix not aware that it was canceled. I’m so sad wish I had never started because I miss it.

Anthony June 2, 2011 at 10:29 pm

The Riches is definitely one of the best series I’ve ever watched. I just finished re-watching it for the third time and once again find myself scouring the internet for any sign of a movie being made or even better the show coming back on the air. It’s hard to describe the dissatisfaction I feel after finishing season two, regardless of how spectacular it is. I really wish someone would do something about it. I’m glad to know that I’m not the only one who still feels this way.

Nick West May 26, 2011 at 5:08 pm

The Riches series had to be one of the best that I have encountered in years. Raw production, a few absent minor details like the overly simple and out of place opening graphics. Only naming 2 of the 3 starring actors, etc. The acting however is top-notch, real and the character introductions making them ‘strangely likeable’ almost immediately. Mr. Izzards timing, script delivery and body language speak and he had me almost choking with each exciting episode. Canceling midway in season two, shame on FX. This series deserves a better conclusion with more series episodes, a movie or, even a book. I have to know more….

lori rae March 27, 2011 at 6:07 pm

Where’s the rest? Now that we all can stream on netflix etc we are turned onto all Kinds of new series that there was no opportunity to watch previously. I loved the riches and am disappointed in its incompletion. The timing now is perfect to resell this series.

Jason Scrubb March 16, 2011 at 8:23 am

Come on.. do I have to get on my knees and beg… I put the “The Riches” on the same platform as “Weeds” and “Rescue Me”… It is paramount that you producers and networks get this show back on the Networks.. I have a void that needs filling… PLEASE!!!!!!

inge klare February 21, 2011 at 8:44 am

I live in Amsterdam Holland and i also get hooked on the Riches show, absolutly brilliant!!!!!!Eddie Izzard, Minnie Driver and all the other actors, what a preformance, best show i have ever seen.

Please keep me informed about any news or a new episode or movie from THE RICHES!!!!!

Jake Karl February 21, 2011 at 2:40 am

I watched the show when it aired. Now i jus recently watched the last 4 episodes I missed couple years back on netflix on my ps3. Made me wonder whats going to happen next and that I would love to see a movie or continued season……

UNKNOWN February 10, 2011 at 5:41 pm

BRING BACK THE RICHES!!!!!

Jay Burnett February 4, 2011 at 7:10 pm

Damn it, at least make the movie before the players move too far on……..this was the greatest…..

Michele January 22, 2011 at 10:19 am

My husband and I watched the show when it was on FX. We watched the 2 seasons again just recently. We really would like to know what happens.

Evon December 28, 2010 at 9:34 pm

Netflix has both seasons and I watched both from beginning to end. Please either put back on the air or make a movie. I got hooked and want a finale. Izzard, Driver, and all the actors were brilliant.

Lydia Mendoza November 20, 2010 at 11:01 pm

I just finished watching both seasons on my new x-box knect netflicks. boy did I get hooked. Please don’t leave me hanging I want to know whats going to happen next.

debra ayotte November 6, 2010 at 8:30 am

eddie izzard, please continue in making a movie on the conclusion of the riches. i loved that show but after i watched a few episodes i couldnt find it anymore and was very dissapointed.

angry fan November 3, 2010 at 10:44 pm

I simply can’t believe that the producers of FX didn’t have the integrity to finish an existing project that was adored and acclaimed by so many intelligent viewers… It just goes to show how much the exec’s at FX care about their viewers satisfaction and gratification. I say boycott!!!!! Since the cancellation of The Riches, how many ridiculous, mindless, and useless shows have premiered on network TV? Should I be demeaned into watching un-entertaining reality shows about the superficial lives of half-retarded celebrities? HELL NO, D&%# IT, BRING BACK THE RICHES!!!!!!!!!!!!!