The Sing-Off: Cancelled; No Season Four

NBC Sing-Off cancelledWell, there’s one singing competition that won’t be back next season. The Sing-Off has been cancelled after three seasons on the NBC.

Hosted by Nick Lachey, this TV series seeks to find the most-talented a capella singing group in America. Judges have included Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, Nicole Scherzinger, and Sara Bareilles. The judges decide who advances to the finale and the final winners are determined by viewer votes. The champs take home a Sony recording contract and $200,000.

The Sing-Off began in December 2009 as a short-run series with just four episodes. It did reasonably well — averaging a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.9 million viewers — so the peacock network brought it back for season two.

It returned in December 2010, expanded to five episodes, and the ratings rose 26% — to an average of a 2.9 in the demo with 8.6 million viewers.

Should Sing-Off have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

NBC decided to take another chance and give The Sing-Off a two-hour timeslot on the fall schedule with 11 episodes. That gamble didn’t pay off and the ratings were much lower. By the end of the season, The Sing-Off averaged a 1.5 in the demo with 4.56 million.

On our NBC Ratings Report Card, which measures the relative demo performance of TV shows on the network, The Sing-Off has an “C-” grade. The network has now cancelled the show.

NBC could have brought it back for another limited run, perhaps over the summer or in December but were likely hesitant to flood their schedule with yet another singing/talent competition. America’s Got Talent has been very successful for them over the summer months and NBC plans to run two cycles of The Voice next season. There just wasn’t a place on the schedule for The Sing-Off any longer.

What do you think? Do you think NBC should have kept The Sing-Off, perhaps run it in December? Are you sorry to hear that it’s been cancelled and won';t be back for a fourth season?

Tom December 10, 2013 at 11:22 pm

singing reality shows suck they all should be taken off the air this is by far the worst one of theM all though

Anonymous July 11, 2013 at 7:10 pm

Sing off is returning…this is an old article. Check out the NBC website.

Marissa Morales July 11, 2013 at 4:16 pm

I believe they should keep it going or bring it back if they did cancel, especially after , of my favorite movies, pitch perfect it might have a bigger hit with people. I know my children and I we’re looking forward to it… So I hope we can watch it

Angela June 30, 2013 at 8:56 pm

I think that the show Sing-Off was an awesome show. I’m not quite sure how NBC checks their numbers on how many people watch, but I’m sure to say they don’t know everything. If you notice movies like Pitch Perfect ironically about a collegiate acapella singing competition did very well. It may not have been an over the top success at the box office (I’m not sure) but it sold extremely well at the stores, it rented well out of red box, also the show Glee which focuses on a high school choral class has a huge following. So, shutting down the show Sing-Off was a bit premature. And another thing…. there was a promise of recording contracts- where are the car’s because year after year I’ve looked and nothing is promoted.

Kim June 29, 2013 at 11:27 pm

Sorry to see it gone. I would have loved it this summer. All my fave singing shows are dissappearing for the same old, same old. Take more chances. People barely have a chance to find the show times and channels before they are switched and then cancelled.

Lucie June 17, 2013 at 11:20 pm

This was the VERY BEST of all the singing competition shows. Great judges, intelligent, and right on target critiques. I loved that the judges decided who stayed and who was to be eliminated because then the acts are truly judged on their talents. On other shows it seems to be more of a popularity contest. I sincerely hope they return The Sing Off. Great, great show. Shawn, Sara, and Ben were so wonderful. The talent on this show was so excellent, LIGHT YEARS better than on other shows. PLEASE bring it back!!!!

Sheri December 18, 2014 at 1:09 am

I completely agree with Lucie; EVERY SINGLE ONE of the other singing shows are like a carbon copy of the last one, and personally I am getting very sick of them, and this show was just like a breath of fresh air. I was so angry when I programmed my DVR for a series, as I usually do, and the TV Guide said “Series Premier”, and then it lasted for ONE SHOW! What is that?! How long do they think that we are going to keep watching these channels when they keep cancelling our shows; the good ones while they keep the stupid ones that make no sense. I read that NBC is planning to air another singing show that is EXACTLY a carbon copy of another on that already tried to work, but failed miserably. I will be happy to see that happen. Maybe they will bring “The Sing Off” back then.