Traffic Light: New FOX Sitcom Cancelled; No Season Two

Traffic LightFOX has cancelled a number of series this week and some have been a bit of a surprise. Lie to Me, Human Target, and The Chicago Code were all canned and most had been expecting at least one to survive. One cancellation that doesn’t come as a shock however is Traffic Light. No one was expecting the low-rated sitcom to be back for a second season.

Traffic Light follows the lives of three men who’ve been friends since college — Mike (David Denman), Adam (Nelson Franklin), and Ethan (Kris Marshall). Now in their thirties, they find themselves in different places in their lives and various stages of relationships. Mike’s married to Lisa (Liza Lapira), Adam lives with girlfriend Callie (Aya Cash), and Adam’s still the perpetual bachelor.

The premiere of Traffic Light attracted just a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 4.59 million viewers. In week two, the numbers fell more than 25%, to a 1.4 rating and 3.49 million. With figures like these, it was pretty clear that Traffic Light was doomed.

Should Traffic Light have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The ratings for subsequent episodes kept falling and even went as low as a 0.9 in the demo and 2.24 million viewers. The newbie sitcom averages a pitiful 1.5 in the demo and just 3.66 million viewers. It’s currently the lowest-rated series on the network, even ranking below Fringe which airs on Friday nights.

FOX has now officially cancelled Traffic Light after one season and 13 episodes. The final unaired episode of the series is scheduled to air next Tuesday, May 17th. The last episode produced, titled “Tommy Guns,” ran last night.

For now, FOX plans to air repeats of Traffic Light at least through the end of June. In light of this cancellation news, that schedule may change.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Traffic Light didn’t get a second season? Is the series better than the ratings indicate?

Vlad September 25, 2014 at 11:26 pm

Bring this back. Our family love this show!

deester April 24, 2014 at 1:04 am

Caught this on Netflix. Loved it & am very sad there won’t be anymore episodes. It was very funny & the characters meshed well together. I wish there were more eps. I got hooked on it and want more.

Anonymous March 24, 2014 at 2:54 pm

Please bring this back…love all characters .. Love the show

Rocco de Giacomo January 23, 2014 at 2:34 pm

This is too bad. It was such a funny show! I hope Netflix picks it up.

Lori B August 23, 2013 at 6:59 pm

I accidentally heard about Traffic Light on Netflix. I don’t recall ever seeing it promoted, nor have I come across it while channel surfing. Must have been in a horrible time slot and day! I really enjoyed the 13 episodes on Netflix Instant Watch. Would like to see another station pick it up and place it in a better time slot.

Lori B August 23, 2013 at 7:01 pm

I would like to add that ALL the characters are very likable! I described this show to friends as a cross between Modern Family and Friends. :)

Anonymous January 10, 2014 at 12:23 am

I totally agree!!!!

Anonymous July 26, 2013 at 7:50 am

Bring it back! Awesome show….just discovered it on Netflix.

Dedrik July 16, 2013 at 1:55 pm

Traffic Light was a great show, maybe it just came out at the wrong time. It looked like the characters enjoy what they were doing and that’s what I love about a good show.

Troy June 2, 2013 at 5:31 am

Great show!!! Terribly promoted needs a second chance!

Erin April 13, 2013 at 9:46 pm

I only just discovered this series on netflix. It is great! I think the poor ratings have more to do with bad network promotion than they do with the actual show. Shame on you FOX. You should do better for your shows!!

Bill Sloniker January 2, 2013 at 11:47 pm

The show is a cool type of funny and should be given a better chance. People should check it out on Netflix and maybe they’ll put a funny show back on the air.

Sandie Sloniker January 2, 2013 at 11:26 pm

LOVE this show please reconsider!! It just needs a chance.

Red December 19, 2012 at 10:57 pm

It sucks…i cant even laugh at it
Let it go,people

Ryan Grove October 3, 2012 at 1:20 am

I feel like its an under appreciated show that didn’t take off right away but in a few years people will want it back, kind of like how family guy and futurama was, even though its not an animated comdey but it is really hilarious, I just don’t understand how it had such low ratings, I for think it could have been a very successful show, Everyone i know thought it was hilarious and it was released at an improper time there were other shows that people were already tied into, please reconsider It will be a great show

fronbon September 23, 2012 at 4:47 am

Watched it on netflix, probably one of the funniest shows I’ve seen in a while! Some one please bring it back!!