Underemployed: Is the MTV Series Essentially Cancelled?

underemployed on MTV canceled soon?MTV has quietly shipped their Unemployed sitcom off to Saturday nights, an evening when their target audience is likely out doing other things. Is this a bad sign for the show’s future?

Underemployed follows the lives and relationships of a group of young people whose lives haven’t worked out as they’d hoped. The cast includes Diego Boneta, Inbar Lavi, Jared Kusnitz, Michelle Ang, Sarah Habel, and Charlie Weber.

The sitcom has been under-performing in the ratings and this season has been averaging just a 0.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 490,000 viewers. Last week’s episode hit a new series low with just 340,000 viewers. (You can check out the week-by-week ratings.)

For comparison’s sake, the last season of Teen Wolf averaged a 0.7 rating and 1.69 million viewers.

The Inbetweeners, another MTV sitcom, only fell as low as 530,000 viewers and that show was cancelled last week.

So yeah, it looks like Underemployed is doomed to be cancelled. On the positive side, there are five episodes left.

What do you think? Do you think that Underemployed should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Is it a better show than the ratings indicate?

Jessica January 15, 2013 at 1:20 pm

I guess people would rather watch stupid reality tv instead of entertaining scripted shows I enjoy this show of friends sticking by each other in the real world after college . I liked “I just want my pants back” but that got cancelled n now I’m into “under employed” n they’re probably cancelling this show too!I hope not!!

Joseph January 15, 2013 at 5:01 am

Underemployed has been fun to watch. It has been fun watching the drama associated with the reality of life and its struggles hitting you in the face.
Will be sorry to see it go.

805OXNARD January 15, 2013 at 1:35 am

Great show. Depicting the youth dreams persuing the world and showing no matter the obstacle never giving up.actually showing some perservearance instead of watching snooki trying to find oit where she left her baby

Michelle January 14, 2013 at 11:28 pm

This show is absolutely too amazing and real to cancel it after the first season. Like everyone else has said it’s not fair, give it a chance !
I mean if the shittier show in history (jersey shore) had 6 seasons underemployed can have a second one!

Isa January 14, 2013 at 12:17 pm

i hope there is a SEASON 2 because i absolutely love UNDEREMPLOYED, its one of the best shows i have seen

jaz January 14, 2013 at 12:04 am

I will be really disappointed if MTV cancels this show, which I feel like is going to happen. Just like majority of the other viewers on here I feel the same way, they continue to air the crappy shows but didn’t even give Underemployed a chance. They re-run every other show a zillion times but did not do that for this show. It was like they set it up to fail from the beginning like one of the viewers also pointed out. I like a couple of other MTV shows but do not know if I am going to continue with their station. I’m just tired of lame shows period.. Again so very disappointed.

Alex January 14, 2013 at 12:03 am

Absolutely loved it 2nd season please!!

Anonymous January 13, 2013 at 10:12 pm

2nd season!!! Love it!!!

val January 13, 2013 at 9:57 pm

This is one of MTVs best shows. Awkward is good but it’s so cliche and overplayed. Underemployed is actually authentic and different from all the repetitive junk on tv. If MTV had any sense they would stop rerunning shows like buckwild, Snooki and Jwow and all those other shows that do nothing but kill brain cells and devote some time to shows with actual potential like Underemployed.

CJ January 13, 2013 at 9:36 pm

Really enjoy this show but outside the target demographic.
Give a show a chance to catch on. Only Fox is less patient

ashley January 13, 2013 at 9:25 pm

THERE BETTER BE SEASON 2,
i love this show, its the only normal show on mtv, that is base on real things that go on in life, i started freaking out when it wasn’t playing my t.v for some reason…. that didnt stop me from watching it tho, went too mtv.ca, i can not go with out this show, i need the weekly shows, i love all the cast and there acting, it feels soo real. i love them, and the show, do not cancel it please, i need more of them lol,

stephanie January 13, 2013 at 9:20 pm

i love this show. if they promoted it like they do their trash reality tv it would have a chance.

Nikki January 13, 2013 at 9:11 pm

Aww I really hope this show doesn’t get cancelled!
It’s one of my favorites! I just hate the fact that MTV plays
all these other dumb shows over and over and didn’t even give
this great show a chance.

jessi January 13, 2013 at 8:58 pm

NO THEY BETTER NOT CANCEL THIS! :(
I freaking love this show

Nikki January 13, 2013 at 8:49 pm

Aww I really hope this show doesn’t get cancelled!
It’s one of my favorites! I just hate the fact that MTV plays
all these other dumb shows over and over and didn’t even give
this great show a chance.