Wilfred: Ending with Season Four on FXX

FX season two ratings for WilfredIt’s been announced that Wilfred has been renewed for a fourth but final season. The FX comedy will be moving to FXX for its final run of 10 episodes (the show’s smallest season).

Based on an Australian series of the same name, Wilfred revolves around the relationship of Ryan Newman (Elijah Wood) and his neighbor’s dog, Wilfred (Jason Gann). Their relationship is unique in that Ryan sees Wilfred as man in a dog suit and the two have ongoing conversations. Fiona Gubelmann and Dorian Brown also star.

Wilfred’s ratings have been in decline since its first season which attracted an average of 1.47 million viewers. Season two brought in 1.11 million and season three, which finished airing last month, dropped to an average of 590,000.

Season four, which will be the show’s final run, will air on new channel FXX sometime in 2014. Because the cast and crew know that the series is ending, they’ll have time to give the show a proper series finale.

What do you think? Are you glad that Wilfred is returning? Will you miss it? Do you think they should make season five?

14 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Jeas says

Are you kidding me ?! Ending ?! I have never been so attached to a show its retArted how much I love this show and I know a few people’s inputs arnt going to make it come back but the is upsetting I would choose silly Wilfred over the walking dead anyday !

2. Peter Flynn says

I absolutely love this show. Australiansand Brits swear like no other. Jason Gann’s Wilfred is hilarious. Crass, obnoxious funny. I want to drink some pints with him. He has to me as funny as his character. In Islington UK one night u heard a guy say, E’s a cun, mate. And the movie Erotrip where one of the dorks says nobody swears like Brits. They really take it to the level of art. God bless someon like Jason Gann.

3. Keith says

What happened to the cast members? The mom and Bruce changed out in season 4. And what happened at the start of season 2 with the writing? Season 1 was great, but a few shows into season 2 I was wondering why I was watching, the writing was terrible. It’d be cool to know who woke up or who came back and salvaged season 2. I love dogs and that’s a big part of why I loved Wilfred, the kooky things Wilfred did.

4. Joshua st.pierre says

well that’s stupid 590,000 people have to suffer because you don’t have enough ratings. wow i’m never starting a series again.

5. Travis says

Wilfred is my absolute favorite show and not just because Elijah is my favorite actor, but just the comedy it uses and a real story at the same time. I love this show because as I watched it, I felt more than just a sensation in my head, it made me feel in my heart. When sad scenes happened it made me sad, happy made me happy, and so forth. I cried in season 3 and that’s when I was attached. I always loved the show but now It’s a show engraved in me. I can’t wait for the 4th season, and I’m so glad that there won’t be a cliffhanger, but man it’s going to suck watching that last episode and knowing it’s over. But, it will be chill.

6. Ron says

In this day and age where so many shows don’t have a proper ending, I am glad that they knew of the final season in advance. They can wrap up the story properly which is what I was hoping for.

7. Nicky Ferrante says

I am honestly so bummed out. I cant believe that this show is getting canceled! There needs to be a revolt. If futurama could come back like 3 times than wilfred can do it. FANS UNITE!!!!! LETS GET THIS SHOW BACK ON THE AIR FOR A SEASON 5!!!!!

8. Ryan says

Why cut this show this show is awesome ! And hilarious I think I should have at least 5-6 seasons to create a longer and more in depth story line both great actors and great morals and it’s a roller coaster ride I look forward to and I would like to see it continued for at least 2 more seasons I hope they see how much people like this show and bring it back when they see their ratings drop and the reason no one sees this show is because it’s on fx or Fxx if you had this on prime time regular television you would have people going nuts for it and its so much better than Louie by a landslide along with whatever lame shows this show actually makes me hang on the edge of my seat, the first episode hooked me in instantly and when season one ended I got up went to hmv and bought season two so I think they should realize this show has potential !

9. Smith Smith says

I’m glad it’s ending. It’s kinda like “How I Met Your Mother.” You get halfway through the series, and start hating it, but you have to know how it ends, so you keep watching.

10. MrFurious says

I like the show, but it’s time to end it. It’s good that they know that this will be the last season and can wrap it up. I’m all for shows ending when they’re still good instead of dragging on and on and on for over a decade, so I think this is very good news.

11. Jennifer says

This is a bittersweet thing for me. I have enjoyed the past three seasons of Wilfred and am very happy to see it will be given a fourth. On the other hand, it’s sad that the fourth will be the end of it. I enjoyed the Australian version but think that the US is much better. Wilfred and the characters around him are much more engaging. There have been a few US episodes that I haven’t loved but, overall, I’ve greatly enjoyed the series. I’ll miss it when it’s gone but will savor that last season. It’s wonderful of Fox to let the cast and writers know ahead of time so they can properly close out the series rather than leaving things up in the air and leaving fans with unanswered questions.