24: Will the Series Be Cancelled or Continue for Season Nine?

24Could the clock be running out on Jack Bauer and company? Rumors are rapidly spreading that this could indeed be the final season of 24.

In approximately real time, 24 follows the exploits of heroic (and frequently tortured) Jack Bauer (Kiefer Sutherland) as he tries to save the country from all manner of terrorism. The current season features Mary Lynn Rajskub, Anil Kapoor, Annie Wersching, Cherry Jones, Chris Diamantopoulos, Freddie Prinze Jr., Jennifer Westfeldt, John Boyd, Katee Sackhoff, and Mykelti Williamson.

Once a huge ratings draw for FOX, viewership for 24 has declined over the years. At the same time, costs have risen. This season’s averaging a 3.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.83 million viewers.

Word is that FOX is preparing to end the veteran drama and the decision will be made in the next few days. Kevin Reilly, FOX’s President of Entertainment, has been unsure of the show’s future for awhile and as recently as last week said, “It’s a very tough call. It’s a huge part of our legacy, and there’s not a lot of shows that could do a 9 share against the Olympics. Tremendous sales asset for us still; a show we’re so very proud of creatively. So it’s not an easy call.”

Do you think 24 will move to a new network?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The studio is supposedly shopping the series to other outlets to see if there would be any interest. Considering the price and the age of the series, a move like that doesn’t seem likely.

THR recently mentioned the prospect to Angela Bromstad, NBC’s President of Primetime Entertainment. She didn’t feel it was likely given the cost but didn’t rule out the possibility either.

If 24 closes after eight seasons, fans can take consolation that the characters will, as expected, continue in movie form. Twentieth Century Fox recently hired screenwriter Billy Ray to write a feature film version. According to Variety, his idea is to take Jack Bauer to Europe. That idea is apparently already a hit with the executive producers and the studio.

If this is indeed the final season of 24, the studio likely wants to have enough time to promote the rest of this season as the final episodes of the season. It would also give the production team enough time to tweak the final episodes if needed.

What do you think? Do you think 24 will end this season or do you think that it could realistically move to another network?

Gaddafi May 4, 2011 at 10:07 pm

I bleave that the makers of 24. If the like the will take the season to 100. And now why.? Pls continue. Thenks

Miss Von March 20, 2011 at 7:11 am

PLEASE BRING BACK 24…WE ALL MISSED JACK AND THE CREW….

mark adonis December 11, 2010 at 12:45 am

Jack Bauer is no non sense character. A real one. And i love it. I have collected all the dvd from season 1 to 8 and I think it should continue since Jack still out there alive. It should only stops if Jack is dead. I think it is the most realistic tv series ever made.

Jack Bauer is Kiefer Sutherland. No one else.

Mary Sanders August 23, 2010 at 4:02 pm

How can I get a full set of Season 8 of “24″? I don’t want any other seasons as I have collected 1-7!

I’m getting more and more frustrated!

admin August 23, 2010 at 7:40 pm

@Mary Sanders: I’m sure it’ll be released within the next six months.

Brenda Vivlamore May 28, 2010 at 4:46 pm

I want to say that I love this show. Please continue “24″ and keep Jack and Cloe on. This show and all seasons have been wonderful to watch,entertaining and as always,kept me awaiting each week to watch again and again. I love what this show has offered for entertainment and it deserves to continue on. Thank you!

Melvin Spicer May 26, 2010 at 7:29 pm

I certainly hope 24, Jack Bauer, Chloe & Comany should keep going. I understand that Keifer Sutherland ( our man Jack Bauer), gave a rather emotional, tearful thank you address to his cast and crew. Jack doesn’t want the show to end, and neither to we, his multitudenous fans and supporters. We love 24!

There was- I think, a subtle hint that Jack will be back- and not just in the form of a full leangth movie.

Here are a couple of revealing clews: 1) The finale scene left you with the impression that there was still more to come. Jack’s future and fate are left in in “cliff Hanger” suspense, as in preveous season finales. 2) President Taylor still has some “splainin’ ” to do, and justice to face. 3) When someone died on the show, the clock at the end of episode would always fall silent. If the sho were truly dead, the appropriate way to end the series would have been with silence. Also, when I heard a radio preview for the finale, the announcer said, “24 will end …. …. (really long “pregnant” pause)… forever! It left me with the hope and possibility, that 24 will definitely be back for another season.

I sincerely hope that I am right. Come on, NBC, pick up the searies for another couple of seasons, at least. Please!

Don’t leave us, Jack! We need you and want you to stay. So stay!

Lance W. Lemke May 26, 2010 at 9:04 am

I believe you should keep it going, unlike the so-called realities shows, this show still carries lots of drive.

Gerald J.Jolie Sr. April 9, 2010 at 2:57 pm

24 is the # 1 show on tv an 24″ deserves to go on for at least 2 more season I love the intensity and suspense and the action. Please keep this show on for 2 more seasons sounds good to me.