Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Orders Five More Episodes

Accidentally on PurposeThings can change awfully fast in the TV biz. One minute your show is the hottest thing on the air, the next minute it’s cancelled. When it comes to CBS’ new sitcom, Accidentally On Purpose, what a difference a few weeks can make!

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around a thirty-something movie critic (Jenna Elfman) who’s broken up with her charming boss (Grant Show). She ends up having a one-night fling with a much younger man (Jon Foster) and becomes pregnant. She ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The sitcom got off to a good start back on September 21st with 8.99 million viewers and a 3.2/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers started to decline in the next couple of weeks. Coupled with mixed reviews, this led some to think that the show would be following in the footsteps of short-lived CBS sitcoms like Worst Week, Welcome to the Captain, and The Class.

Which Monday night sitcom would you rather watch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Then, in week four, the ratings started to go back up. Last night’s episode hit a post-debut high in viewers (8.54 million) and matched its premiere numbers in the demo.

CBS is cautiously optimistic about the series and has just given the sitcom an order for five additional episodes, rather than the usual “back nine.” This brings the first season order to a total of 18 installments. The order may also be influenced by the fact that CBS has Rules of Engagement waiting in the wings.

TV show supportNow, struggling Three Rivers is the network’s only freshman series that hasn’t received an order for additional episodes.

What do you think? Does Accidentally on Purpose measure up or do you prefer Rules of Engagement, or one of the cancelled sitcoms?

Carrie March 8, 2010 at 6:53 pm

Please don’t cancel this show! I love it and I think it fits perfectly on Monday nights!

keri March 7, 2010 at 3:58 pm

please do not cancel AOP. It is the best show. You have ruined my monday nights. Davis is great! PUT THIS SHOW BACK ON SPADE IS PLAYED!!!!

Miranda March 1, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I love accidentally on purpose and I like rules of engagement, if I could keep only one it would be accidentally on purpose.

Anonymous March 1, 2010 at 8:53 pm

please dont cancel! just ruined my monday night by it not being on! rules of engagement stinks!

mac March 1, 2010 at 8:14 pm

Please cancel this show. Rules of engagement has always been a far better show, directing, acting, jokes all flow seamlessly. AOP is contrived, the actors try to hard . I gave up on that show after the first episode. Sitting through that show was like a trip to a really bad dentist. The sooner that show is off the air the better off all intelligent viewers will be. Now I don,t have to find a show to fill in the time between How I met your mother and Two and a half men. Thank you for bringing back Rules of engagement. Do the rest of us a favor and bury AOP in as deep a hole as you can find.

Amber March 1, 2010 at 6:38 pm

Please bring back Accidently on Purpose. This is one of my favorite shows on CBS along with The Big Bang Theory. Nobody cares about Rules of Engagement. I wanna see what happens with Billie and Zack. Also, Davis is so freaking funny!

Anonymous March 1, 2010 at 6:35 pm

Please, please, pretty please dont cancel this show. This is one of my favorite shows along with The Big Bang Theory. Nobody cares about Rules of Engagement.

Heather March 1, 2010 at 5:34 pm

I love Accidently On Purpose. I am disappointed that it’s not on tonight! Rules of Engagement is not a show that I look forward to. Bring back Accidently On Purpose CBS!

mossmommy February 25, 2010 at 7:50 am

I absolutely love Accidently on Purpose! It has turned into my favorite Monday night comedy. Don’t get me wrong though I love “How I Met Your Mother” and “Big Bang Theory” but AOP is the best!! Please don’t cancel the best new comedy of the year!

genuineact February 22, 2010 at 8:34 pm

Please do not cancel Accidentally on Purpose it is a great show and VERY funny!

Hagar February 22, 2010 at 8:31 pm

Don’t cancel Accidently on Purpose. I hope that it is just going on hiatus as it is a perfect fit for your Monday night line-up. Jenna Elfman is great and the supporting cast fits well with Jenna’s comedic genius. Terms of Engagement is a dreary attempt at humor with very un-likable characters.

KEEP JENNA!!!

Kate January 14, 2010 at 8:36 pm

I’m usually not impressed with a lot of the comedy shows out there, but honestly-from the start I absolutely loved this show! It’s funny, the cast is great and they’ve got a lot of chemistry. It’s not overly cheesy and it’s actually laugh out loud funny. It would be a total shame to get rid of it. I love it!

deezle January 4, 2010 at 10:32 pm

this show is one of the best on TV. Jenna Elfmann’s comedic timing has always been superb, and the rest of the cast can deliver their lines almost just as effortlessly. Combine that with the chemisty of the cast as a whole… c’mon. Just a really good show, really fun to watch. Hope to see a bunch more.

audrey December 30, 2009 at 4:07 am

please don’t cancel accidentally on purpose. i love this show and i think the ratings will go up in the new year!!

Anonymous December 21, 2009 at 11:12 pm

AOP IS HILARIOUS> IT SHOULD BE KEPT ON AIR AND ADDED MORE EPISODES> WENT TO THE TAPINGS PERSONALLY AND ABSOLUTELLY LOVED IT.

john kraft March 1, 2010 at 7:25 pm

Absolutely agree – love AOP. Missed seeing the show tonight.