Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Orders Five More Episodes

Accidentally on PurposeThings can change awfully fast in the TV biz. One minute your show is the hottest thing on the air, the next minute it’s cancelled. When it comes to CBS’ new sitcom, Accidentally On Purpose, what a difference a few weeks can make!

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around a thirty-something movie critic (Jenna Elfman) who’s broken up with her charming boss (Grant Show). She ends up having a one-night fling with a much younger man (Jon Foster) and becomes pregnant. She ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The sitcom got off to a good start back on September 21st with 8.99 million viewers and a 3.2/8 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The numbers started to decline in the next couple of weeks. Coupled with mixed reviews, this led some to think that the show would be following in the footsteps of short-lived CBS sitcoms like Worst Week, Welcome to the Captain, and The Class.

Which Monday night sitcom would you rather watch?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Then, in week four, the ratings started to go back up. Last night’s episode hit a post-debut high in viewers (8.54 million) and matched its premiere numbers in the demo.

CBS is cautiously optimistic about the series and has just given the sitcom an order for five additional episodes, rather than the usual “back nine.” This brings the first season order to a total of 18 installments. The order may also be influenced by the fact that CBS has Rules of Engagement waiting in the wings.

TV show supportNow, struggling Three Rivers is the network’s only freshman series that hasn’t received an order for additional episodes.

What do you think? Does Accidentally on Purpose measure up or do you prefer Rules of Engagement, or one of the cancelled sitcoms?

Canceled and renewed TV show

52 Comments on "Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Orders Five More Episodes"

Notify of

Pam
Pam
March 22, 2010 6:45 pm

My husband and I only watch TV once a week, and thats on the Monday line up. We always watch straight from How I met your Mother until Two and a Half Men ends, but now Accidently on Purpose has been replaced with Rules of Engagement. We REALLY dont care for Rules of Engagement, so now we change the channel. Please Keep Accidently on Purpose! We love the Characters and want to know what’s going to happen next! Please bring back our show!
Thanks

Dee
Dee
March 22, 2010 2:24 pm

Has Accidentally on Purpose been cancelled? Sure hope not. My husband and I do not care for Rules of Engagement. Love Jenna Elfman and her show. Please continue this series. Thanks.

jan spring
March 9, 2010 7:52 pm

PLEASE KEEP TIHS SHOW ON. IT IS THE BEST. WHEN WILL NEW EPIDSODES COME ON I WATCH EVERY TIME IT COME ON AND ON IN DEMAND ALL THE TIME. THANK YOU JAN SPRING

jan spring
March 9, 2010 7:49 pm

please keep the show on the air it is the best. When will we see new epidsodes I can’t wait.This is the best new show of the year. Please let me know when the new epidsodes will be on. I watch on the day it comes on and on in demand over and over again. I can’t get enough of it. ONce again PLEASE KEEP ON THE AIR!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Deena
Deena
March 8, 2010 6:58 pm

I Love this show as well, totally bummed I can’t veg out for 2 hours uninterrupted. Spade sucks & the dude from Seinfeld had his 15 minutes. Please keep the show on!!!!!

Carrie
Carrie
March 8, 2010 6:53 pm

Please don’t cancel this show! I love it and I think it fits perfectly on Monday nights!

keri
keri
March 7, 2010 3:58 pm

please do not cancel AOP. It is the best show. You have ruined my monday nights. Davis is great! PUT THIS SHOW BACK ON SPADE IS PLAYED!!!!

Miranda
Miranda
March 1, 2010 10:16 pm

I love accidentally on purpose and I like rules of engagement, if I could keep only one it would be accidentally on purpose.

Anonymous
March 1, 2010 8:53 pm

please dont cancel! just ruined my monday night by it not being on! rules of engagement stinks!

mac
March 1, 2010 8:14 pm
Please cancel this show. Rules of engagement has always been a far better show, directing, acting, jokes all flow seamlessly. AOP is contrived, the actors try to hard . I gave up on that show after the first episode. Sitting through that show was like a trip to a really bad dentist. The sooner that show is off the air the better off all intelligent viewers will be. Now I don,t have to find a show to fill in the time between How I met your mother and Two and a half men. Thank you for bringing back Rules of… Read more »
Amber
Amber
March 1, 2010 6:38 pm

Please bring back Accidently on Purpose. This is one of my favorite shows on CBS along with The Big Bang Theory. Nobody cares about Rules of Engagement. I wanna see what happens with Billie and Zack. Also, Davis is so freaking funny!

Anonymous
Anonymous
March 1, 2010 6:35 pm

Please, please, pretty please dont cancel this show. This is one of my favorite shows along with The Big Bang Theory. Nobody cares about Rules of Engagement.

Heather
Heather
March 1, 2010 5:34 pm

I love Accidently On Purpose. I am disappointed that it’s not on tonight! Rules of Engagement is not a show that I look forward to. Bring back Accidently On Purpose CBS!

mossmommy
mossmommy
February 25, 2010 7:50 am

I absolutely love Accidently on Purpose! It has turned into my favorite Monday night comedy. Don’t get me wrong though I love “How I Met Your Mother” and “Big Bang Theory” but AOP is the best!! Please don’t cancel the best new comedy of the year!

genuineact
genuineact
February 22, 2010 8:34 pm

Please do not cancel Accidentally on Purpose it is a great show and VERY funny!

wpDiscuz