Black Box: Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

Black Box TV show canceled or season two?ABC recently cancelled several shows (Mixology, Suburgatory, Betrayal, etc.) and renewed many others (Resurrection, Revenge, The Goldbergs, etc.). What about the new Black Box series that airs on Thursday nights?

The show revolves around a beautiful and brilliant neuroscientist (Kelly Reilly) who’s hiding the fact that she’s bipolar. The rest of the cast includes Ditch Davey, David Ajala, Terry Kinney, Ali Wong, David Chisum, Laura Fraser, Siobhan Williams, and Vanessa Redgrave.

The show debuted on April 24th to a poor 1.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.87 million viewers. The ratings have gotten even worse as the weeks have progressed. This week’s installment hit a new low with a 1.1 rating and 4.31 million.

While ABC hasn’t cancelled Black Box, they surely will. The ratings have just been too low to be renewed for a second season.

The question now is, “Will all of the episodes air?” There are nine episodes remaining. If the ratings keep going down, the network could easily pull the show and replace it with reruns. Hopefully they’ll either air or release them so the show’s small audience can see them.

What do you think? Do you think that Black Box should be cancelled or renewed for a second season? Do you think ABC should air all of the episodes they have?

Amy July 3, 2014 at 1:17 pm

I LOVE this show…. I was hoping they would keep it.. My husband is always like.. don’t watch it and get addicted because it’s going to be canceled anyway.. ! I can’t help it.. not sure why it has low ratings.. but I rate it pretty damn high! It’s different.. and exciting and sexy ..

Diva July 3, 2014 at 10:53 am

This show has potential. I think it needs some work but the concept is interesting and the acting is good. I don’t like the mistress part. I think the writers need to be a bit more realistic with the medical portion and go into more depth about the other characters who also look interesting.

kellyreillyfans July 3, 2014 at 9:30 am

Why diss a new show, only part way through the series??

scare mongering like this will only put people off.

NO decision made, until end of the series.

Carolyn Heinrich July 2, 2014 at 9:37 pm

Keep this program and get rid of stupid mistress, horrible program!!!!!!!

Denise July 2, 2014 at 8:48 pm

I love this show! Abc needs to listen to more than ratings! We want this show to come back! Please dont cancel!

shaun July 2, 2014 at 2:51 pm

Please don’t do it ABC I am begging you. Let there be a season 2

Anonymous July 2, 2014 at 2:23 pm

It has potential; I think it’s better than a lot of shows that have been renewed already. With some rethinking and perhaps more careful writing, coupled with some studio support, I think it could be a strong series. The bad reviews at the beginning weren’t all wrong, but I recorded 4-5 episodes and watched them all at once and found it was a series worth watching.

Lou July 2, 2014 at 12:39 pm

Please keep this show! It is very well written. It is very smart and sexy!

Maryellen July 2, 2014 at 11:17 am

This is an amazing show, please don’t cancel it. QBC believes idiots like the Goldbergs is better than this? Are you kidding me. Mental illness affects so many families, it’s done wonders for showing the advances, the treatments and what happens when people go off their meds.

Adele Maldonado July 1, 2014 at 8:47 pm

I like Black Box. Beleive me if I can watch Grey’s Anatomy I can watch this show easily. I do need my dose of medicine and it deals with mental issues people really do have. Please keep it or at least view all the segments so we can find out what happens. Thank you.

Anna Cormier July 1, 2014 at 8:08 pm

This show needs to remain on-air. I’m a Psych grad and there’s no comparison to the detailed accuracy this show entails. Absolutely a keeper!

TMWat July 1, 2014 at 5:16 pm

This show needs to be cancelled. It’s not a good plot, poor medicine and practice. It’s time for it to go

Anonymous June 30, 2014 at 9:32 pm

This one is a Keeper!! It is well writen; and the characters/actors have nailed it. Fantastic Storyline!!!!
Hey maybe another timeslot!! This is a really good show that has so much potentional. PLEASE continue! I truly think people will be hooked if given another chance. Thanks so much! ( – : pjp

Aika Gaye June 30, 2014 at 7:05 pm

I love Black Box…had no idea it was even being considered for cancellation. It’s smart and sexy. Please keep it!

Anonymous July 2, 2014 at 7:48 am

I agree with you. Make it more about the therapeutic relationship and intertwine it with her career. ABC NEVER listens. Yet they keep a dumb show like Mistresses on the air. Even Betrayal was more realistic

Lynn Lello June 30, 2014 at 5:05 pm

Please RENEW this show. ABC is always canceling the best shows. Just find a different night and time slot for it. Thursdays at 8 is too early. It is a prime time show. Add more episodes with Vanessa Regrave and Kelly dealing with her bipolar 1 disorder. The show could really work. Perhaps a Tuesday prime time slot would be better.