Copper: Cancelled Show May Return as a Movie

Copper canceled TV show movieCopper has been cancelled but Sunday’s series finale may not be the end for the characters. Deadline reports that executive producers Barry Levinson, Tom Kelly and Tom Fontana (also the co-creator) are considering a movie version.

Fontana has apparently worked out an extensive story arc for season three and may rework that into a movie script. It would supposedly look at life in America following Lincoln’s assasination and the Reconstruction years that followed.

Will Rokos and Fontana created Copper which premiered in August 2012 to 1.1 million viewers. That was a record-setting audience for BBC America and the period drama was renewed in October. Unfortunately, the numbers weren’t as strong in season two so the show was cancelled.

What do you think? Would you like to see a Copper movie? Do you think it will actually happen?

140 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Emme says

I am very DISAPPOINTED that the show was cancelled. In the age of reality and trash TV it is hard to find a series that is not only well written and acted, but one that holds the viewers attention and makes us look forward to the next episode.. Shame on you BBC America!

2. Jacqueline says

The movie would be a good thing, the weekly program would be better! Please bring the show back,I loved it!

3. Marc says

I cannot believe BBC America would cancel this fine series. The writing is superb, the characters are compelling, and the actors are simply wonderful. What a mistake they have made. I agree with the many posters who have pointed out the dearth of good programming available. How could the individuals who made this decision have thought that cancellation of such an excellent program was a good idea?

4. Patty says

I cannot add enough praise for Copper, especially since the comments from the other viewers are so true. My dad was half Irish, and I’ve always had an appreciation for the history of my Irish ancestors in America.
    I came upon Copper by accident as I’m sure other viewers had, also. Maybe if the non-thinking powers that be would have promoted the series better, it would have had a larger number of viewers/fans.

5. Barbara pope says

Impossible to find great shows like this!! The TV guides are horrible…I think the viewers couldn’t find it. The best show ever…characters, set design…it was fabulous!,

6. Linda says

It never ceases to amaze me how executives are so quick to dump series because they set arbitrary minimum viewer limits. These days you are not going to get multi-millions in viewers every season or episode with all the cable networks and Netflix to compete with. How could any studio exec possibly think it would be smart to throw away a series by top writers/producers/directors like the team of Fontana and Levinson? If that wasn’t enough, few other series come close to the brilliant cast and writing talent. Very foolish… I am very disappointed and was very much looking forward to Corcoran and Maguire mixing it up again post-assassination.

7. David Shupe says

I would rather see several more seasons of Copper back on BBCA or any other decent network. At the very least a movie to bring the show to a proper end would be good….

8. Anonymous says

Yes I would love to see the movie. And they should also realize what a big mistake they made and bring copper back.

• Chris S says

Making a movie is akin to throwing the last of the food to the dog…and watching him die. WE NEED A COPPER SERIES TO CONTINUE!!!

9. Alice says

HANDS DOWN Copper is one treasure of a TV series with profound depth of stellar acting, and writing that is rarely seen except on Downton Abbey, not to mention the sets, the authentic history, all told in one captivating episode after another. I could almost smell the streets. It was so realistic. I loved the costumes and manor of speech, so elegant, so full of witty intelligent thought provoking conversations that I could hardly wait for Sunday night to roll around to see what happened next at 10pm. I started to get excited 2 days before the next show aired. For the first time in my life I have become very interested in the history of our country. What a big disappointment to not be able to see Copper 2014. That is a joke I hope…. Won’t someone please renew this series so Americans can learn our history in an interesting and realistic venue? We need to see TV worth watching. I am so tired of stupidity being the main attraction for an hour long TV show with bare audible grunts serving for conversation. If it is impossible to come back as a season 3 then a movie would be okay but I doubt it can replace the series.