Cougar Town: Saved from Cancellation for Seasons Four and Five?

cougar town not canceled?Though Cougar Town has been performing very poorly this season, the show may go on if ABC cancels it. Talks are currently underway with TBS to possibly take over the series.

As I noted here, the ratings for Cougar Town have been so bad that ABC is sure to cancel it later this month — unless they want to keep it alive so it can amass enough installments for a syndication package. The problem is that there will only be 61 episodes by the end of season three and even a full fourth season would only bring the tally to 83 installments.

According to Deadline, ABC Studios is in discussions with TBS to potentially take over Cougar Town for two seasons of 15 episodes each. The article notes that conversations are still in the preliminary stages and transitioning a broadcast series to cable can be tricky deal-wise.

A rep for Turner Entertainment Networks declined to get into specifics but said, “Should the show become available, TEN looks at all opportunities presented to us that fit our brand.”

If the scenario works out, this will be the second Bill Lawrence TV show that’s survived a cancellation and switched channels.

After being cancelled by NBC, ABC Studios’ Scrubs moved to ABC for two final (and low-rated) seasons to increase the episode tally for syndication. Turner’s TNT picked up Southland after NBC dumped it and the cop drama has performed well enough to be renewed for a fifth season on cable.

What do you think? Would you follow Cougar Town if it were picked up by TBS? Or, should the declining ratings be taken as a sign that it’s time to cancel the show?

MARIE June 7, 2012 at 11:49 am

I’M YELLING, BECAUSE THIS IS MY FAVORITE SHOW!!! PLEASE SAVE IT, ID FOLLOW THEM TO TELEMUNDO IF I HAD TO.

James June 4, 2012 at 10:27 am

Save it, it’s a great show.
Good humour, great cast.
Slap stick comedy is better than the more serious type of sitcom.
PLEASE SAVE IT.

eggnogs May 31, 2012 at 9:56 am

Its the worst show ever. The acting and lines makes you cringe at times. Has no creativity what so ever. Cancel it and put this in a file marked ‘mistakes never to be repeated again’.

Cindy May 31, 2012 at 3:51 am

SAVE IT.

TBS works for CONAN!!

Please save Cougar Town~

Elizabeth May 8, 2012 at 11:03 pm

As long as Cougar Town stays on, I will watch it anywhere! It is my FAVORITE show!

lusdd May 8, 2012 at 9:55 pm

Save it

johne May 8, 2012 at 5:15 am

Wow! i have to say if this goes through i would envy fans of this show I mean to get a renewal of not one but two seasons, for a show that should have been canceled after the first episode is incredible. As a couch potato i can’t count the number of series I’ve gone through over the years hoping for just one renewal, getting more up to the point of syndication…. that there is living the dream.

Amber May 7, 2012 at 8:35 pm

@Steven Leitner TBS couldn’t save My name is Earl because the Creators refused to go from single camera to a multi camera format. It was to expensive to shoot a show with a single camera format for TBS to take the risk and spend all that money in acquiring the rights for a show that already had poor ratings. With cougar town its already a multi camera format so its chances are better at making the jump. I’m with Jason Lee i think its time for a My name is Earl movie!! lol and I really hope we get more cougar town Ill be happy no matter what station its on.

Rogers May 9, 2012 at 12:30 pm

TBS never showed any original episodes of “Earl,” they were all syndicated. So, your camera point is moot.

mylo May 7, 2012 at 5:38 pm

I will watch Cougartown on any channel!

Dee Vincent May 7, 2012 at 10:36 am

I don’t have access to TBS, so it would depend if it still airs on a Canadian station as well.

Leanna May 7, 2012 at 7:39 am

I would totally keep following Cougar Town. I love this quirky comedy! Makes me laugh every time I watch it. Don’t cancel!!!!

Bre May 7, 2012 at 7:30 am

ABC screwed up the ratings for this show by waiting until mid-season to bring it back and changing the night it was originally on. This show is great. Please save the show.

Steven Leitner May 6, 2012 at 7:37 pm

TBS couldn’t save My Name is Earl. Can they save Cougar Town?

Roy May 6, 2012 at 7:32 pm

Cougar Town is funny. TBS should get it anyway cause they know how to promote shows.

Craig May 6, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I like the show, but not as much as I did last season. ABC kept the show off the air for so long, that I lost some interest in the show. The show also needs some more variety if they want to do two more seasons. The highlight of every episode can’t be the drinking jokes in the kitchen.