Dallas: A Next Generation TV Series Headed to TNT?

DallasWhile the Dallas movie continues to be stalled in development, it seems there’s interest in reviving the show for the small screen.

Dallas first debuted in 1978 and ran for 14 seasons on CBS. Telling the tale of a family of oil barons, Larry Hagman, Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Ken Kercheval, Victoria Principal, and Charlene Tilton became forever connected with the Texas big city.

The NY Times is reporting that Warner Bros. TV is considering doing a “Dallas: The Next Generation” style series for sister company TNT. According to an unnamed agent and producer connected to the project, it would focus on the children of the original characters — J.R. and Sue Ellen’s son, John Ross III, and Christopher, the adopted son of Bobby and Pam.

Both characters were last seen as teenagers in the 1996 TV movie, Dallas: JR Returns. They were shown to be well-adjusted teens. Of course, that kind of behavior wouldn’t make for good weekly drama, so it’s a sure bet that would have to change.

Of course, many pilot projects never actually make it to a series but Hagman, Gray, and Duffy have all been contacted about participating. No mention’s been made of including actor Omri Katz who played John Ross III for seven seasons and in the reunion movie.

What do you think? Would you be interested in watching a show like this? More interesting than CW’s version of 90210?

Linda July 25, 2012 at 10:09 am

I grew up back in the 70s and 80s. Apparently they ran out of ideas for television and movies so they keep remaking all the old shows and movies. It’s sad. I mean really they remade Man In The Iron Mask, Are You Afraid Of The Dark, 13 Ghost, The Fog, My Bloody Valentine, Footloose, Sabrina, The Glass House, Even Disturbia with Shia Lebeauf is a remake of Alfred Hitchcocks Rear Window starring James Stewart. Black Christmas is a remake of a 70s movie. Prom Night is a remake of a 70s movie with Jamie Lee Curtis. The House On Haunted Hill is even a remake. They tried to remake Knight Rider, Bionic Woman. They made movies out of the tv series Miami Vice and Dukes Of Hazzards.

Jessica August 15, 2011 at 8:01 pm

i’m in it for the love of dallas, i’ve watched everyone episodes and would love to see the old cast teach the younger ones a few new or old tricks, common, lets see if some one can top JR and please bring back pam, that would make the new mrs. bobby ewing very uncomfortable and very insecure about bobby and her marriage, yours truely dallas lover.

michael April 19, 2010 at 6:28 pm

i would definetly be interested, it would be about time that a good show will air on tv, besides those so-called reality shows. i have watched every dallas episode and own seasons 1-13 on dvd. i hope tnt really does this show, i am really excited

TONY March 18, 2010 at 11:31 pm

Yes I would like to see how it is played out with the son’s. can they be a chip off the old block,or wimpier. my guess is worse, if you can get any worse then JR. I would like to see it.

Jason February 22, 2010 at 3:44 pm

Dallas the Next Generation ya but does need most of the original Cast and needs to be on CBS. that would be like Mr Rogers Kid on Cmt.

Jason February 22, 2010 at 3:42 pm

UM Shela
Dallas was not a sitcom. Its a Drama, The Cosby Show is a sitcom.

jason

Patrick December 4, 2009 at 12:12 pm

I would love to watch a new generation of Dallas. would very interesting! of course nobody could top JR!

carlos brewster December 1, 2009 at 7:59 pm

OH yes bring it back!
Television has never been the same since the show went off the air. Matter of fact the show should have
never went off the air. I totally miss it . Its litterally my favorite show of all times. I was telling a co-worker that today. For If I’m ever asked whats your favorite television show? I can truly say without hesitation, without reservation Dallas. Oh I miss it so. Be a good sport and bring it back please.

Angel November 20, 2009 at 9:29 pm

I would possibly be interested, but only if they are able to get people from the original cast back…i mean the kids can (and should since they’re older now) play a large part, but I don’t think it would get the kind of attention they would be hoping for if it was all centered around them and didn’t also largely include J.R., Bobby, Sue Ellen, Lucy, etc. etc. into the stories

SIMONA November 3, 2009 at 10:09 am

YES, I WOULD BE TOTALLY INTERESTED. DALLAS HAS BEEN ONE OF THE BEST TV SHOW EVER. IT DESERVES TO BE CONTINUED, PLAYED BY JOHN ROSS, J.R. AND SUE ELLEN’S SON, AND CHRISTOPHER, BOBBY AND PAM’S.

Brian Hensley October 17, 2009 at 2:33 am

Please just shot him now.

MSD October 16, 2009 at 11:04 pm

oh no not yet another remake of an old show are writers totally running out of original ideas these days.

JaJuan June 13, 2010 at 1:44 am

I love Dallas and I would love to see a new series. It wouldn’t be a remake, it would be a new geration Rupert thing that focuses on the children from the original. It would really just be continuing the story line.

Sheila Hopkins October 13, 2009 at 11:15 am

Yes, I would definitely be interested. Dallas was one of the best sitcoms of all time and everyone who watched, misses JR and the gang.