Dallas: Should the TNT Series Be Renewed for Season Three?

Dallas cancel or renewed for season 3?This evening, TNT airs the final two episodes of Dallas’ second season and, unlike the price of oil, the ratings have been down. Will the TV series return for a third season or will it be cancelled instead?

The new Dallas picks up several years after the original show ended. Time has passed but the Ewings and the Barnes are still at each others’ throats. And, though Larry Hagman passed away, there’s still plenty of drama at Southfork. The cast includes Patrick Duffy, Linda Gray, Josh Henderson, Jesse Metcalfe, Jordana Brewster, Julie Gonzalo, Brenda Strong, Mitch Pileggi, Emma Bell, Kuno Becker, and Judith Light.

Last season, the new Dallas was one of TNT’s most-watched dramas, averaging 4.42 million viewers and a 1.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic.

This time around, the ratings weren’t so hot. The second season has averaged 2.64 million with a 0.8 demo rating. The numbers spiked for the JR Ewing funeral episode but they went back down the following week.

While the ratings admittedly haven’t been as strong this time around, Dallas is still TNT’s best performing show right now. Both Monday Mornings and Southland have only been averaging about 1.4 million viewers.

The cable channel also knows that the show is facing a lot more competition at this time of year — compared to when the first season aired last summer.

While TNT hasn’t cancelled or renewed Dallas yet, it seems very likely that the Ewings will return for another round of in-fighting and deception.

What do you think? Would you like to see Dallas return? Is the show as enjoyable as it once was? Should TNT move it back to summer?

Anonymous April 24, 2013 at 8:23 pm

Bring Dallas Back!!!!

Binchelle April 24, 2013 at 8:14 pm

I love this show, refreshing new actors … I want to see it back ….. please!

Gary April 24, 2013 at 8:06 pm

Defintely bring back ‘Dallas’ for a 3rd season and all the way thru for 10 years. It is a quality TV Show and nothing on any network can compare to it bar none. Josh Henderson put on that stetson and boots and carry on the Ewing name you are J.R. Ewing III. Make everybody proud especially Larry Hagman and the crew of Dallas

Jean Balch April 24, 2013 at 7:07 pm

Yes please bring it back!

Debra Lavery April 24, 2013 at 6:42 pm

I feel they should renew Dallas. It is the best show in quite awhile!

JudyL April 24, 2013 at 3:33 pm

I love, love, love the new Dallas; also never missed an episode of the old Dallas. The new Dallas is the best show on TV right now, cable or regular network. The characters are growing into their roles and the storylines leave you guessing and on the edge of your seat. Please, please renew Dallas for a 3rd, 4th and 5th season. I’ll be anxiously waiting to start watching it again!

Stephen Gent April 24, 2013 at 12:52 pm

If only season 1 had been as good as season 2. Season 2 has been by far one of the best shows on TV. I am looking forward to the next series.

Randy Reynolds April 24, 2013 at 10:54 am

It should be given another year. Season two was actually very entertaining. Obviously it is doing better than any of their other programs. Should be a no brainer.

Brenda April 24, 2013 at 10:32 am

Love watching Dallas please bring it back.

liz April 24, 2013 at 9:05 am

I have been there from day one of the first series . . . yes I am 62 yrs. old and have watched much TV. Dallas is and was always the best drama on TV. I thought I might not enjoy it as much with the new younger members of the family but I’m loving it!!! I would love to see it stay on. I was so disappointed when it went off the first time. JOHN ROSS YOU ARE YOUR DADDY’S SON FROM “TIP TO TAIL”. . . I read another viewer’s comment who thought it would be a good idea to keep up the bit where a cast member possessed with a problem would go and have a bourbon and branch with J.R.’s photograph and talk to him about it – – Pretty Good Idea. We need a large portrait of J.R. at Southfork.
From a devoted fan

Mike April 24, 2013 at 7:40 am

According to Wikipedia, Dallas was renewed for Season 3 on April 22, 2013. Hopefully so.

admin April 24, 2013 at 12:40 pm

It has not been cancelled or renewed yet.

Natalie Pennie April 24, 2013 at 5:55 am

Please, Please, TNT renew ‘Dallas’ for years to come! I can wait to get home on Monday’s to see the show. It has a great cast, but I think what will build up the rating is to bring Victoria Principal back , and to create a villain who would make J.R. look like an angel-someone like Joan Collins-I think she could mix it up and make ratings even higher because no one would think a character for a competing soap on ‘Dallas’ would appear on this soap. Now that would be thinking out of the box, and bring in a popular young actor or actress to interact with the younger cast members.

From a true ‘Dallas’ fan!
Natalie Pennie

Anonymous April 24, 2013 at 1:12 am

Would love to see it back. I loved it the first time and am enjoying this on. Miss JR but
nothing can be done about that. I really hope they bring it back. I get so tired of reality show.

Dan April 23, 2013 at 10:27 pm

Dallas is just awesome!! Dallas fans had to be heart broke once in 1991.
Please do not let that happen to us we just got the Dallas
fever.. Also it would be cool if you could insert scenes of characters during the intro.

Renetta Alexander April 23, 2013 at 8:41 pm

The New Dallas Series deserves to be renewed for years to come, after all this has always been one of my favorite shows of all times, even though I will miss the late great Larry Hagman who portrait The almighty J.R. Ewing, but with all the great actors remaining on the show, his legacy will live on through them, keep up the Good Work Team !!

From A Fan