Golden Boy: Cancel or Renew for Season Two?

Golden Boy cancel or renew?CBS’ Golden Boy was originally supposed to run on Friday nights but its first few episodes did well enough for CBS to leave the series on Tuesdays. Has it been a success? Will it be cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Golden Boy follows the story of Walter William Clark Jr. (Theo James), a young and ambitious New York cop who quickly rises through the ranks to become the youngest Police Commissioner in the Big Apple’s history. The cast also includes Chi McBride, Kevin Alejandro, Bonnie Somerville, Holt McCallany, and Stella Maeve.

The police drama debuted to a 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 10.56 million viewers. While the total viewership was healthy, CBS really needs their new shows to attract younger viewers. Still, a 1.8 rating was better than what Vegas had been raking in.

Golden Boy’s numbers fell in the next two weeks and it looked like the show was doomed to be cancelled. But then, the demo started to perk up and rose to a 1.7 rating. Perhaps there was hope after all?

Unfortunately, that hope was short lived and Golden Boy’s ratings quickly fell again. Last night’s episode hit new lows and attracted just a 1.2 demo rating with 6.99 million viewers.

Based on the ratings, it looks almost certain that Golden Boy won’t be back for another season and we won’t get to see the rest of Clark’s journey to greatness.

But, what do you think? Are you hoping that CBS still renews Golden Boy or should the timeslot be filled by something else? Is it worth watching?

Eugene Tyree May 15, 2013 at 11:54 am

This is a good show about a regular guy who grew up with many family problems, but he is trying to help people in his job as a police officer. He wants everyone to get a second chance, if they want to work for it. His partner really cares about him like a son he never had. Clark really appreciates being a part of something special the police department where he can make a difference in someone life besides his sister. It’s not only a cop show, it’s a family show like Blue Bloods but different. I hope they renew it, because I believe it will make it once people get the jest of the theme of the story. Not him becoming the youngest police commisissioner, but what he is doing as a public servant along the way and the lessons he learned.

Jackie May 15, 2013 at 11:41 am

Please keep Golden Boy. I look forward to seeing this show each week. I think him and his partner on the show are great together. The whole cast is great.

JOHN May 15, 2013 at 8:01 am

GREAT SHOW…KEEP IT…MAYBE ANOTHER STATION WILL PICK IT UP

Golden Girl May 15, 2013 at 3:44 am

CBS is insane. Does everything have to be skewed to a younger audience? Golden Boy
Is one of the better shows on TV. I hope another network will pick it up. I care about
Detective Walter Clark even though CBS doesn’t. BRING BACK GOLDEN BOY!

jerry May 15, 2013 at 1:50 am

I find very few shows on prime time that hold my attention anymore but golden boy did it is sad that it did not get a fair shake. hope they will try at least one more season before they bury a really great show!

BOB May 15, 2013 at 12:37 am

RENEW,RENEW,RENEW.

Georgette Lengyel May 14, 2013 at 11:40 pm

My husband and I really liked the show, I don’t think they gave it a chance. Its a great cop drama. I hope they decide not to cancel the show. The actors in it are very good.

I thought this would last for years to come.

Georgette Lengyel May 14, 2013 at 11:42 pm

Please keep this show. There is a lot going on it. Just when it was getting really good
it gets canceled. One of the best cop dramas going.

Lyn May 14, 2013 at 11:07 pm

Yes, the show is good. I wish a cable network will pick it up. CBS did not give it time..

Sue May 14, 2013 at 10:49 pm

PLEASE. Renew Golden Boy. Now that it has been on awhile we are all into it. It’s a very good show. – many stories within the mainframe. Really enjoy it. Great surprise for a new policeshow

Dawn Martin May 14, 2013 at 7:54 pm

Please do not cancel Golden Boy. Give it another chance. I am sure the ratings will get
better. I really do enjoy this show and I have never missed an episode.

Please, please do not cancel it

Georgia High May 14, 2013 at 7:37 pm

I hope CBS keeps Golden Boy – it’s an excellent drama with talented actors. It’s an interesting plot line that I look forward to week after week. If they cancel this show, the network is making a big mistake.

Lizzie May 14, 2013 at 5:59 pm

KEEP Golden Boy…….Great show!!!!
One of the better ones on tv!!!!!!

Lisa May 14, 2013 at 3:32 pm

Golden Boy is the best show on tv. I was really looking forward to watching this show in the years to come. Networks are silly. They never give a show a chance. I hope USA Network or TNT pick it up. Their shows are really good and they give the shows a chance to catch on. We should all e-mail CBS and let them know we don’t want Golden Boy to go. Or e-mail USA Network or TNT and ask them to pick it up.

Georgia High May 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm

I keep telling CBS to renew Golden Boy – I LOVE this show and look forward to viewing it week after week!

Alejandro May 14, 2013 at 11:11 am

Come on !!! Please keep this show, it needs more time to properly get off the ground.

Shawna May 13, 2013 at 8:36 pm

Please keep the show!!!!!