How I Met Your Mother: Season Eight Ratings

CBS TV show How I Met Your Mother ratingsLast season, How I Met Your Mother saw a resurgence in ratings that got CBS thinking about ordering another season or two. Some of the TV series’ stars (Alyson Hannigan, Cobie Smulders, Jason Segel, Josh Radnor, and Neil Patrick Harris) have talked about moving on after season eight but you never know. If the ratings remain high, the network and studio could be very persuasive.

Below are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if How I Met Your Mother will be cancelled or renewed for a ninth season.

Final season averages: 3.2 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.31 million total viewers.

Episode 08-24: Monday, 05/13/13
3.4 in the demo (+31% change) with 8.57 million (+23% change).
Season averages: 3.20 in the demo with 8.31 million.

Episode 08-23: Monday, 05/06/13
2.6 in the demo (-4% change) with 6.99 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 3.20 in the demo with 8.30 million.

Episode 08-22: Monday, 04/29/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 7.06 million (+7% change).
Season averages: 3.22 in the demo with 8.36 million.

Episode 08-21: Monday, 04/15/13
2.7 in the demo (0% change) with 6.58 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 3.25 in the demo with 8.42 million.

Episode 08-20: Monday, 03/25/13
2.7 in the demo (-10% change) with 6.99 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 3.27 in the demo with 8.52 million.

Episode 08-19: Monday, 03/18/13
3.0 in the demo (-9% change) with 7.44 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 3.31 in the demo with 8.60 million.

Episode 08-18: Monday, 02/25/13
3.3 in the demo (-3% change) with 8.59 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 3.32 in the demo with 8.66 million.

Episode 08-17: Monday, 02/18/13
3.4 in the demo (+6% change) with 8.86 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 3.32 in the demo with 8.67 million.

Episode 08-16: Monday, 02/11/13
3.2 in the demo (-20% change) with 8.98 million (-13% change).
Season averages: 3.32 in the demo with 8.65 million.

Episode 08-15: Monday, 02/04/13
4.0 in the demo (+8% change) with 10.30 million (+2% change).
Season averages: 3.33 in the demo with 8.63 million.

Episode 08-14: Monday, 01/21/13
3.7 in the demo (-5% change) with 10.07 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 3.28 in the demo with 8.51 million.

Episode 08-13: Monday, 01/14/13
3.9 in the demo (+15% change) with 10.51 million (+21% change).
Season averages: 3.25 in the demo with 8.39 million.

CBS TV show ratingsEpisodes 08-11 and 08-12: Monday, 12/17/12
3.4 in the demo (+6% change) with 8.70 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 3.19 in the demo with 8.22 million.

Episode 08-10: Monday, 12/10/12
3.2 in the demo (+3% change) with 8.82 million (+7% change).
Season averages: 3.15 in the demo with 8.12 million.

Episode 08-09: Monday, 12/03/12
3.1 in the demo (-6% change) with 8.26 million (-5% change).
Season averages: 3.14 in the demo with 8.04 million.

Episode 08-08: Monday, 11/26/12
3.3 in the demo (+14% change) with 8.73 million (+17% change).
Season averages: 3.15 in the demo with 8.01 million.

Episode 08-07: Monday, 11/19/12
2.9 in the demo (-3% change) with 7.45 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 3.13 in the demo with 7.91 million.

Episode 08-06: Monday, 11/12/12
3.0 in the demo (+7% change) with 7.95 million (+10% change).
Season averages: 3.17 in the demo with 7.99 million.

Episode 08-05: Monday, 11/05/12
2.8 in the demo (-13% change) with 7.22 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 3.20 in the demo with 8.00 million.

Episode 08-04: Monday, 10/15/12
3.2 in the demo (+3% change) with 7.93 million (+1% change).
Season averages: 3.30 in the demo with 8.19 million.

Episode 08-03: Monday, 10/08/12
3.1 in the demo (-6% change) with 7.82 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 3.33 in the demo with 8.28 million.

Episode 08-02: Monday, 10/01/12
3.3 in the demo (-8% change) with 8.17 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 3.45 in the demo with 8.50 million.

Episode 08-01: Monday, 09/24/11
3.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 8.84 million total viewers.
Season averages: 3.60 in the demo with 8.84 million.

Year-to-year, the sitcom was down by 23% in the demo and 20% in viewers but last season’s opener had the advantage of airing on the same night as the first Ashton Kutcher episode of Two and a Half Men. The season eight opener essentially matched the season six premiere however. Either way you look at it, these are still very solid numbers.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season averaged a 4.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 9.66 million viewers.

What do you think? Do you like the How I Met Your Mother TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or continue for a ninth season?

sharon March 30, 2013 at 6:48 pm

What? Watch first run shows and spoil the reruns? are you nuts? HIMYM & Big Bang reruns are the high-light of my day!

Linda March 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Watched pretty faithfully the first few seasons, kind of lost interest when it looked as though Ted was NEVER going to meet ‘the mom’ – now that it looks like he will, have started watching more regularly again. Can’t wait to see how it all turns out!

PATT February 17, 2013 at 9:33 pm

I DO NOT LIKE THIS SHOW AT ALL.

I January 27, 2013 at 5:31 pm

I have no idea what to think about a possible ninth season. I would watch it, and I would love it – I’m just afraid it might be a failure. I’d love to see more seasons coming, I really would. As others say, this show has chemistry and history and jokes like no other show I’ve watched. I caught me the moment I watched my first episode, and I’ve been watching it ever since.
I would be really sad to see it end, though I obviously have to. After writing this, I’m kind of realizing how much I want a ninth season – and Ted’s girl isn’t born until 2015-ish, so there’d still be room.
The show still has it’s class and jokes, so actually, I’m going to just say it: I want a ninth season.

Lisa January 24, 2013 at 10:01 pm

I am frustrated with the direction of this show! Everyone loves Barney and Robin together, but I can’t stand em. Robin has become really irritating to me as a character, and Barney being in love is weird to me, to say the least. There have been too many twists and turns that have confused me, I’m all but done with the show. I loved it up until the season where Marshall’s dad died and we met Zoey. I check in with it now and then, but it’s not as funny to me anymore, which is a darn shame because it used to be my can’t-miss favorite show.

Brian R. December 20, 2012 at 12:35 pm

I love this show. I have not missed one episode since it has been on the air and I think that the cast has amazing chemistry, however sadly I do agree that it should end after this season. If it gets renewed then great and i will watch it because ido believe that this show has the ablilty to remain funny (yes it is funny regardless of what anyone says. this show is GOLD). I just do not know how much longer the veiwers have to wait for Ted to find his future wife. Why not introduce her this season as a love interest then in the season/series finale announce her as the mother? It would be a amazing end to an incredible show. I just think it would go out on top. I do not want it to suffer like the show “Chuck” I used to watch. HIMYM is a classic and I do not know if a show like this could be repeated.

Kathy December 18, 2012 at 8:47 pm

I really love this show, but I am not sure how much longer the producers can drag it out.
It’s about time Ted found his soulmate and got on with his life as his friends have. Although I would definitely watch a ninth season. I like these characters too much to give them up easily.

Gonout Backson December 5, 2012 at 12:03 pm

For some time already it has been like watching your favorite pet agonize. God is my witness, we loved the show, but season 8 is beyond embarassing: we’re with Anonymous on that, watching just to find out who was hiding under the yellow umbrella. But we might give up before that: how many “twenty minutes I’ll never see again” does one have in one life?

Anonymous November 20, 2012 at 8:04 pm

I can’t believe this show is still on, it is not one bit funny. I watch every week to finally see who Ted married, but every week not one laugh.
Get it off the air

Shannon November 20, 2012 at 5:13 pm

I think it should defintely be renewed for at least one more season, if not more. The chemistry is great, the story is there, keep it going!

Jenna November 12, 2012 at 8:38 pm

I love HIMYM and I watch it religiously, but it doesn’t make sense to renew it beyond Season 8. Future Ted’s daughter was born in 2015. Do the math. It has to stop at some point or they’d have to rename it to… “How I Raised My Two Kids After Meeting Their Mother.” I think it’s better for the show to go out with a classy bang and be remembered as an amazing show than for it to try to do the greedy ratings grab and start falling off. Have hope that there will be other good shows to follow!

Zack December 3, 2012 at 4:49 pm

Couldn’t agree more.

Ethan October 3, 2012 at 11:19 pm

Renewed for season(s) to come. Strong story and incredible acting. Give them what they want, and they’ll stay.

Liubakka September 26, 2012 at 5:01 pm

What do I think? I think How I Met Your Mother should DEFINITELY have a ninth season… This is my favorite show :( and I don’t know what to do when it’s over. Although, I guess I could watch repeats; but that just wouldn’t be the same! *sigh*