In Treatment: HBO TV Series Cancelled; No Season Four, But…

In Treatment canceledIt looks like the doctor is out — for now. HBO has cancelled In Treatment after the seasons on the air but may be interested in keeping the series going in another form.

Starring Gabriel Byrne as Dr. Paul Weston, In Treatment first aired in January 2008 and ran five nights a week. That didn’t perform as well as expected so it was reduced to two episodes twice a week for seasons two and three. While In Treatment has been a favorite with some critics, the ratings haven’t kept up. The season three finale, which aired in December, attracted just 253,000 viewers.

Byrne noted that the role was quite demanding in that it required him to memorize large amounts of dialogue in a short amount of time. He was nominated for two Emmy Awards and appeared in all 121 episodes of the series. Dianne Wiest won a supporting actress Emmy and Glynn Turman won in the guest actor category. In 2009, In Treatment won the WGA Award for best new series.

Though In Treatment may be done as a regular series, HBO is interested in a new incarnation. A statement from HBO states, “It’s true that we have no plans to continue with In Treatment as previously formatted. However, we are in continued conversations with the executive producers to find another way to continue telling these rich stories.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a fourth season of In Treatment? Would you like to see it continue in another form?

Canceled and renewed TV show

200 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. D Austin says

I m sorry that it took me so long to watch this show. I finally started watching it and could not stop until the final season. I wish that there was more intellegent and thought provoking shows like this to watch. I am very sad that it is over, please bring it back.

2. Diane says

I just binged watch “In Treatment”. Great show! I don’t know why it took me so long to watch it. I hope you find a way to bring it back. I think, at these times, it would be so much more appreciated.

3. Ccg says

I hope you find a way to continue this program. I found it fascinating and it was done so well. I also think it can be very helpful to people who are at all introspective.

4. Natasha Cloutier says

I think in treatment should be brought back. It is true, reality based for real people. It needs to be aired because it really helps people.

5. kevin gorman says

sublime show … dialogue is absolutely divine ! Most intellectual shows don’t do well , go figure !

6. Michelle K says

Of course continue! Please! In Treatment is my very favorite show, the only one I’m interested in really. What am I going to do now that I’ve watched the last episode of season 3??? I may need to seek professional help to get through this.

7. Paul says

Best show on tv, sad to see they haven’t started it back with a season 4.
    Brilliant dialogue and acting. Shame on HBO.

8. Lynn says

Fantastic schow, never gets old because of all new patients. Extraordinary writing and acting. Fascinating storylines. No wonder it didn’t have mass appeal.

9. Yes, Please continue! Such an excellent program. I found it engrossing and poignant. says

I found this on HBO On Demand and loved it! So sorry that there will not be a Season Four. I work at a graduate college for counseling and was talking with one of our professors, who uses some of Dr. Weston’s sessions in her classes to illustrate different points. So powerful, thought provoking, poignant and impacting as you watch people struggle to reach their insights, aided by Dr. Weston. Yes, I really hope that it will continue in some form going forward. It’s not all about the ratings in my mind. Every time I find a show with substance and intelligence, it goes bye-bye and that’s a shame. Kudos to Gabriel Byrne and Dianne Wiest for their multi-faceted performances.

• Maria says

This is an excellent show. I hope that HBO may reconsider bringing it back in the future with Gabriel Byrne.

In the meantime, YES any new format of this show would be very much appreciated.

Why not have the same format but with another therapist if Gabriel Byrne is too busy to continue.