In Treatment: HBO TV Series Cancelled; No Season Four, But…

In Treatment canceledIt looks like the doctor is out — for now. HBO has cancelled In Treatment after the seasons on the air but may be interested in keeping the series going in another form.

Starring Gabriel Byrne as Dr. Paul Weston, In Treatment first aired in January 2008 and ran five nights a week. That didn’t perform as well as expected so it was reduced to two episodes twice a week for seasons two and three. While In Treatment has been a favorite with some critics, the ratings haven’t kept up. The season three finale, which aired in December, attracted just 253,000 viewers.

Byrne noted that the role was quite demanding in that it required him to memorize large amounts of dialogue in a short amount of time. He was nominated for two Emmy Awards and appeared in all 121 episodes of the series. Dianne Wiest won a supporting actress Emmy and Glynn Turman won in the guest actor category. In 2009, In Treatment won the WGA Award for best new series.

Though In Treatment may be done as a regular series, HBO is interested in a new incarnation. A statement from HBO states, “It’s true that we have no plans to continue with In Treatment as previously formatted. However, we are in continued conversations with the executive producers to find another way to continue telling these rich stories.”

What do you think? Are you sorry that there won’t be a fourth season of In Treatment? Would you like to see it continue in another form?

Jamia Hil November 16, 2014 at 11:06 am

I recently discovered this series via Amazon prime. After avidly watching the first season, I invested about $40 in purchasing seasons 2 and 3. Since they were not offered via Amazon Prime, that was the only way I could keep watching. I’d think that knowing that viewers are so attached to this show that they are willing to PAY to keep watching would help convince producers at HBO that this series has a future and should be revived. I hope so. Perhaps in the style of Netflix’s Orange is the New Black, where the season is produced and released in its entirety rather than expecting viewers to tune in at network-determined intervals to keep abreast of the stories.

Janet Colli November 2, 2014 at 4:22 pm

As a psychotherapist myself, I have some very real answers about how to revive Paul and this series–that would involve a far more personal approach to therapy. That, after all, is what he is searching for. The Psychoanalytic approach simply no longer serves him. I believe his instincts are correct. Not having been nurtured and supported within his family of origin, he is dissociated from himself, if not from his clients. Rather than see this as pathological–a blurring of boundaries–as Adele says, let’s follow that instinct and let Paul find a more nurturing approach to therapy. First, with his own therapy, and secondarily, with his clients. And given Season 3’s ending, it looks like Adele longs for that, too.

Manny November 2, 2014 at 9:51 pm

Janet! I think that’s a wonderful idea. It makes sense!

Manny November 2, 2014 at 1:14 am

I am finishing up season three and decided to see when season four would be out. Then I found out it wouldn’t. Disappointing.

When watching the series, I felt identification with problems or situations presented by various characters. I felt as though I got to know these people and cared for the them. All the credit to the writers and actors.

I’ll miss the series.

Wanda Brown October 31, 2014 at 10:08 am

Love this show. Totally enjoy it and I am so disappointed it has been cancelled. Love all the different characters and how their personalities develop over the weeks. Please bring it back!

Marge October 27, 2014 at 5:37 pm

Just finished season three and disappointed it was cancelled. Gabriel Byrne has always been a favorite and enjoyed his superb performance. Would definitely be interested in some continuation of the series.

Helena Renberg August 17, 2014 at 4:48 pm

Just re-watching the seasons of In Treatment with my daughter and realise how well-made and well acted a programme this is. Just found out that a fourth season was cancelled. What a shame that more people never discovered this brilliant series! Hope there still is some (hope) for a fourth season..!

Valeska July 25, 2014 at 12:25 pm

Yes I am sorry it was cancelled. It is amazing how society would degrade themselves watching trash like true blood and fake reality shows. It just shows how people would rather escape from reality and watch sex and creatures. Its sad.

Mike July 25, 2014 at 4:43 pm

Yep I hear you friend. Although I did enjoy the first season of True Blood.

Mike June 5, 2014 at 11:09 pm

I love this show, sorry to find out it was cancelled. I still have about the last 1/2 of season 2 and season 3 to watch.

karl chester June 5, 2014 at 4:19 pm

I have been entranced throughout this series, and would very much be in favor of a continuation in some form.

Kim Howard May 29, 2014 at 8:16 pm

I absolutely love this series and am sorry to see it come to an end! My husband loves it as well and we have enjoyed watching and knowing the characters as well as “Paul”…the brilliant, devoted, and flawed therapist of this interesting, thought-provoking series. We are strongly in support of a continuation of the series, or a new incarnation of In Treatment. We will be waiting and watching!! By the way, Gabriel Bryne is perfect in this role!

Kitty DeHaan May 16, 2014 at 8:49 pm

I miss this show SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO much!! I have never felt so connected to a one on one show before. The acting and concept is truly amazing. Please please please bring it back!! (With more teenagers)

Beth Thiffault August 18, 2014 at 1:06 pm

I have only gotten into this wonderful series in the past month after joining Amazon Prime to get it on my iPad. I LOVE it, but wouldn’t have wanted to have to have to tune in several nights a week to see it. Sure hope they decide to continue it in an easier format, for the viewers AND for Gabriel Byrnne. He is a terrific actor, and I’ve been so impressed with all the individual characters in the roles of patients. I don’t get HBO unfortunately, so this is the only way I can see it – on line. PLEASE don’t drop it completely. Thanks.