Lie to Me: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Four

Lie to Me canceledSometimes the truth hurts — especially when it comes to television ratings. After three seasons, FOX has cancelled Lie to Me.

Starring Tim Roth, Lie to Me revolves around Cal Lightman and members of The Lightman Group. They’re a team of specialists who help law enforcement agencies uncover the truth by using applied psychology. Others in the cast include Kelli Williams, Brendan Hines, Monica Raymund, Hayley McFarland, and Mekhi Phifer.

Last season, Lie to Me averaged a 2.9 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic and 8.03 million total viewers. That was down from season one and the series found itself on the bubble for renewal. FOX ended up giving the TV series another chance and renewed it for 13 episodes.

Unfortunately, season three didn’t perform nearly as well as season two. It premiered last October to a 2.1 rating in the demo and 5.86 million. Viewership eroded in subsequent weeks and FOX declined to give the show a full season order. Lie to Me then hit a new series low in January, registering a meager 1.5 rating and 5.43 million viewers.

Should Lie to Me have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

In its final weeks on the air, viewers seemed to rally behind it and Lie to Me had its best ratings of the season — a 2.5 in the demo and 7.67 million.

Though the ratings had come way down, FOX execs claimed that they still valued the TV series and saw it as a solid utility player. Showrunner Alex Cary said, “Fox has been very clear with us — they know what the show is, they know what it can do. [The ratings bump] shows that people will come watch the show.”

TV show supportNow, after three seasons on the air, the series is over. FOX has officially cancelled Lie to Me after 48 episodes. All of the installments have aired. Though there are too few episodes for a traditional syndication package, the first two seasons have already been released on DVD.

What do you think? Should Lie to Me have been renewed for season four?

Belal Almomani November 16, 2012 at 3:42 am

You can tell how much “Lie to me” affected people, as they start pay more attention to the expressions ( or micro expressions) that are made by others, its a sword with two edges, you can use it to spot lies, read emotions, and try to understand why people behave the way they do and why they show ( or try to hide) a certain emotion at a certain situation…. Or you can use it to hide lies as you know what the person in front of you will be looking for if he tries to spot your lies or any other emotion you try to conceal.
“Lie to Me” is “too scary” to be out for the public as it became a part of their lives with or without their intention…
And YES… you cannot stop watching it….

Kn November 14, 2012 at 8:56 pm

I am so absolutely confused why this show is not on anymore, well besides the great points made by DW. Some one else should pick this show up!! Tim is fantastic! It kinda pisses me off when great shows like this are canceled and really mind numbing dumb shows are in their 6th season.

Lara November 13, 2012 at 7:07 pm

Lie To Me is amazing! Not your normal “catch the killer” drivel. Seriously, how many CSI’s does the world need!

DW November 4, 2012 at 8:03 am

This is 1 of many great shows that FOX have cancelled. At first i could not fathom out why, then i clicked one day and realized that it’s all to do with ratings. A TV network gets its highest viewer ratings when a new show premieres, and this makes the network lot’s cash…..but as the shows grow older i.e into season 2, the advertizing for it seems to diminish, they cut the show off for 2 or 3 weeks, and do it at least twice a year, sometimes like with Fringe taking it off the air for 2 months. This causes total loss of interest and prevents people from knowing when it returns to the air. This automatically loses viewers and subsequently, ratings. Look back at all the shows that were popular, it’s all the same.
I think that FOX purposely sabotages it’s own shows so that they can cancel them and bring new ones in that continuously bring the highest ratings because its an all new exciting show. How many new shows have FOX aired since the 90’s? the answer is many, and how many have made it the full distance? None

If these shows had been on NBC they would be given a lot of airing. There have been many shows like Friends that got a slow start in the first 2 seasons. Seinfeld also.
I mean, FOX cancelled Family Guy?? But brought it back because of the DVD sales.

They haven’t got a clue because its all about the money, not the viewers!!

If Lie to Me is ever going to get resurrected, it would be on a better Network, but the crooks at FOX would never allow that!! That’s why i don’t bother watching their shows anymore no matter how good they look, because as soon as you get into them, you’re left disappointed by another out of the blue cancellation!!

They’re going to sell themselves short because soon no actors will sign to FOX because they’ll be left with egg on their face by their greedy no good executives!!

Maria November 12, 2012 at 9:56 pm

I regret not seeing this show when it came out. I just got through all 3 seasons in less than 2 weeks. I could not let it go. The shows were well written, directed and most of all the actors were incredible.
If the show comes back I will see it this time, not only me, my entire family.

Jack October 30, 2012 at 3:03 pm

I REALLY WANT THIS SHOW BACK
It was amazing and I’m sad that its over.
Tim roth is amazing

Anonymous October 30, 2012 at 12:18 pm

absolutely amazing show!! please let there be another season!

Briony October 28, 2012 at 7:58 am

I totally agree with the previous comments. I’ve been watching it non stop on Netflix for the past two weeks and just got to the last episode only to find there weren’t any more. I think this is silly, Lie to Me is, in my opinion, one of the best shows on TV. It’s original, quirky, brilliantly funny, and clever. It is also extremely addictive which is another reason why I NEED series 4 to come out. I also think it is slightly strange/unfair that it was left on such a cliffhanger (Lightman admitting his love for Foster, finally, and hiring a new employee). I agree that series 3 hadn’t been quite as amazing as series 1 and 2, but that is only natural for any tv show which relies on a continual stream of fresh ideas – Bones, for example, another favourite of mine, isn’t as good now as it was in the first and second series but it doesn’t mean I love it any less! Lie to Me should be brought back – my obsession with Cal needs it.

Perriaqua October 26, 2012 at 3:13 am

Please bring back lie to me, I’ve only recently saw this on Netflix and I am now an addict. Only to find out that there will be no season four.

Great cast, great story lines makes you want to find out more.

Marketing guys where are you? If you don’t advertise good series like this. People like me only find out too late to support it :)

Kevin October 23, 2012 at 3:46 am

Wow, that’s sad. Just finished all three seasons on Netflix and loved it! Looked up the show on google to see when the next season was coming out and on what channel. Only to find out it was canceled over a year ago due to ratings. I never even heard about the show or saw a single advertisement for it. I know quite a few people that have watched all three seasons on Netflix. I remember on Facebook I put, “what tv series should I watch on netflix?” There were 6 comments for Lie To Me so I gave it a shot and couldn’t stop watching. I guess my point is that I believe there would be a lot more support for the show now especially if fox would actually advertise the show!!! Fox needs to get on it!

Names Don't Matter October 20, 2012 at 10:47 pm

I find it absolutely disgusting when a show with some much potential and unique quality is cut short. I frankly would have started watching the series from the show if there had been more advertising to the times and days the show was aired. By now Lie to Me will have a huge fan base of all those who found out about it after it already has been cancelled, I have a feeling that if they were to start up a season 4 trial to see how the rating supported with a good amount of advertising. Well then Fox would be making a good bundle of cash o9nce again and may even be able to walk Lie To Me until an eighth season.

Norma Callis October 20, 2012 at 7:13 am

I was wondering why the show had been cancelled, and am unsurprised to find out that it was due to ratings– not because the show wasn’t good enough for these ratings, but rather because I, alone, didn’t know what this show was, or on what channel it played, until this year. A friend suggested the series to me and I eagerly watched all three seasons within 2 days, and hate to think I will never see a fresh Lie to Me case! But, if there is another go-around with this series, FOX should do a little more marketing, maybe? I would have watched the show religiously had a known more about it. Then again we all need to adjust our communications to society who records-then-watches-TV or Netflix-ers. HOORAH (:

jamie October 17, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Its a joke like all these shows getting canceled by fox i hate and there all great shows

shay October 17, 2012 at 11:32 am

I’ve been watching Lie to me on netflix I looooove this Show, I went to look when season four comes out and it said the sow was canceled. OMG !!!! Pleeaaaase bring it back :'( if not fox I hope USA or FX or even HBO just please bring it back the show is brilliant!!!!!

Anonymous October 16, 2012 at 10:14 pm

Amazing show!!! Hope they bring it back.

Madeleine October 16, 2012 at 10:24 am

BRING IT BACK!!! Seriously I need more Lie to me!!
Damn Fox…