Mental: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

Mental canceledAfter a disappointing run last summer, FOX has quietly cancelled their Mental TV series.

Mental follows the work of an unorthodox psychiatrist who becomes the Director of Mental Health at a fictional Los Angeles hospital. Created by Dan LeVine and co-executive produced by his sister, Deborah Joy LeVine, the series stars Chris Vance, Annabella Sciorra, Derek Webster, Jacqueline McKenzie, Marisa Ramirez, Nicholas Gonzalez, Warren Kole, and Edwin Hodge.

The series debuted in late May with 5.8 million viewers and a 2.1/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers put the series in third place for the timeslot. The numbers fell significantly after that, and episodes sometimes attracted less than half of the viewers as the premiere.

Some of the Mental castmembers have already moved on to other TV projects. Vance has had a recurring role on USA’s Burn Notice.

Webster has been cast in an ABC drama pilot called Edgar Floats. He’ll reportedly be playing the therapist of the main character who’s a former police psychologist turned bounty hunter.

Meanwhile, Kole has been cast in a new CW pilot called Nomads, about four young friends who are backpacking across the world. To earn money, they agree to do secret missions for the CIA and Kole will play their handler.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mental won’t be back for season two?

Canceled and renewed TV show

106 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Camilla Froiland says

There most definitely should have been a second season. FOX does have a tendency to cancel shows without time to let people get hooked. For Chris Vance fans: “Mental” was one of the best shows he’s made. He plays a brilliant and caring psychiatrist who has his own family demons to make him vulnerable and by the end of the season I just wanted to hug him and tell him it will be all right. He’s a great actor who can pull off all kinds of roles! I’ve seen him play good guys and not so good guys (Rizzoli & Isles; Burn Notice) He also appeared in All Saints, an Australian ER show playing a doc there, too. But so far my favorite Chris Vance shows are Mental and Transporter with All Saints right behind! I noticed he’s a producer on the Transporter, maybe if the powers- that- be cancel season 3; he’ll be able to find another great show to star in; maybe he should do a sequel to Mental letting us in on what happened to Dr. Jack Gallagher after he punched out his pompous ass nemesis and got fired from the hospital. I watched Mental when it aired on Fox and bought the series on Amazon. com. It’s definitely worth a binge-watch or two! And it would be great to see a continuation of this great series. I hate the way networks cancel series with a cliffhanger ending!! Anyway,
    I’d watch Chris Vance in anything even if I am old enough to be his mom; not just because he’s smokin’ hot with boyish good looks and dreamboat eyes ; but he’s actually quite a good actor.

2. diana says

This show should be one that has many seasons. I really enjoyed watching it. I like how the doctor put himself in the patients shoes and made the patient feel safe.

3. says

Isso é tão frustrante, você se envolvido em uma grande série, eles deixam você em um cabide penhasco – querendo mais – então eles vão e cancelar a série. Esta foi uma grande série que eu recomendado para os outros, porque ele enfatiza a saúde mental de uma forma não estigmatizar. Se as equipes Governo / Produção quer ajudar a saúde mental tornam-se menos estigmatizados – devemos ter mais programas para ajudar as pessoas a compreender as condições. Isso é um desperdício Dragic de um bom programa. Eu vivo no Reino Unido e eu só vi isso uma vez anunciado – adorei – mayb se fosse mais divulgada aqui, pode ter provado mais bem sucedido. Trazê-lo de volta, se puder.
    verdade a série é muito show ♥☺

4. Andari says

Leaving me here in Asia waiting for the next move on what is gonna be Jack’s moves…come on….
    Would it be too much of you to continue to the second sessions of Mental?
    I have learned and enjoyed so much of having this series..Make the second sessions happened….please

5. Beatriz says

I am really dissapointed that this kind of series has to be cancelled. I think the script is great, I think there should be more seasons for all of us people interested on this kind of shows. It would be very good if the writer could receive the support to continue teaching us so much about human behavior

6. Donna jones says

I really liked this show myself and grandson were so sad it did not return we wish there was a DVD of the first season

7. Hutch says

Another excellent new show cancelled. Really enjoyed this series would have loved to have seen it return. Fox, please remember audiences outside US, don’t cancel a series before its had chance to air outside the US. Just like The Finder, series 1 cancelled before its finished airing in the UK. (Albiet Michael Clarke Duncan) Oh, and not forgetting Lie to Me. All great shows!

8. diego vaz says

I’ve watched in brazil, and i’m really sad that they canceled the show, but looking in another angle, they closed all the gaps in the history of the serie, with jack finding his sister and deciding her future, rylan getting out of the history, giving veronica, even if it has not been shown in the serie, a chance to move on with her life, and I think that those are the biggest problems to be resolved by the characters.

sorry about the bad english, but i’m not really good yet at it, but I think that i made myself clear.

9. Sharon says

This is so frustrating, you get engrossed in a great series, they leave you on a cliff hanger – wanting more – then they go and cancel the series. This was a great series that i recommended to others because it emphasises mental health in a not stigmatising way. If Government/ Production teams want to help mental health become less stigmatised – we should have more programmes to help people understand the conditions. This is a dragic waste of a good programme. I live in the UK and I only seen this once advertised – loved it – mayb if it was more widely promoted over here it may have proved more successful. Bring it back if you can.

10. Sammy Snot Rag says

OMG – I’ve only recently found out that ‘Mental’ existed and I believe it has been around since 2009! I have watched all 13 episodes every spare minute I’ve had! Im gutted to find out that there is no season 2. Mental is a great show! I work within the profession myself and enjoyed the whole lot. Was this programme shown in the UK?

11. natalie says

Watched this in England, how annoying that there are not going to be any more, it was a great show have been watching house since the start and it is easily as good as house, what a shame.

12. Anonymous says

Several shows don’t make it during the first session-that doesn’t mean you should give up and cancel them. We need a show like Mental to help people empathize with the nurmous number of Americans that struggle with “mental illness.” The people at FOX give up too easily!