Mental: FOX TV Show Cancelled, No Season Two

Mental canceledAfter a disappointing run last summer, FOX has quietly cancelled their Mental TV series.

Mental follows the work of an unorthodox psychiatrist who becomes the Director of Mental Health at a fictional Los Angeles hospital. Created by Dan LeVine and co-executive produced by his sister, Deborah Joy LeVine, the series stars Chris Vance, Annabella Sciorra, Derek Webster, Jacqueline McKenzie, Marisa Ramirez, Nicholas Gonzalez, Warren Kole, and Edwin Hodge.

The series debuted in late May with 5.8 million viewers and a 2.1/5 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. Those numbers put the series in third place for the timeslot. The numbers fell significantly after that, and episodes sometimes attracted less than half of the viewers as the premiere.

Some of the Mental castmembers have already moved on to other TV projects. Vance has had a recurring role on USA’s Burn Notice.

Webster has been cast in an ABC drama pilot called Edgar Floats. He’ll reportedly be playing the therapist of the main character who’s a former police psychologist turned bounty hunter.

Meanwhile, Kole has been cast in a new CW pilot called Nomads, about four young friends who are backpacking across the world. To earn money, they agree to do secret missions for the CIA and Kole will play their handler.

What do you think? Are you sorry to hear that Mental won’t be back for season two?

henrique December 13, 2013 at 2:33 pm

Isso é tão frustrante, você se envolvido em uma grande série, eles deixam você em um cabide penhasco – querendo mais – então eles vão e cancelar a série. Esta foi uma grande série que eu recomendado para os outros, porque ele enfatiza a saúde mental de uma forma não estigmatizar. Se as equipes Governo / Produção quer ajudar a saúde mental tornam-se menos estigmatizados – devemos ter mais programas para ajudar as pessoas a compreender as condições. Isso é um desperdício Dragic de um bom programa. Eu vivo no Reino Unido e eu só vi isso uma vez anunciado – adorei – mayb se fosse mais divulgada aqui, pode ter provado mais bem sucedido. Trazê-lo de volta, se puder.
verdade a série é muito show ♥☺

Andari February 16, 2013 at 4:28 pm

Leaving me here in Asia waiting for the next move on what is gonna be Jack’s moves…come on….
Would it be too much of you to continue to the second sessions of Mental?
I have learned and enjoyed so much of having this series..Make the second sessions happened….please

Beatriz February 6, 2013 at 1:24 pm

I am really dissapointed that this kind of series has to be cancelled. I think the script is great, I think there should be more seasons for all of us people interested on this kind of shows. It would be very good if the writer could receive the support to continue teaching us so much about human behavior

Donna jones October 8, 2012 at 6:33 pm

I really liked this show myself and grandson were so sad it did not return we wish there was a DVD of the first season

Hutch September 20, 2012 at 5:35 am

Another excellent new show cancelled. Really enjoyed this series would have loved to have seen it return. Fox, please remember audiences outside US, don’t cancel a series before its had chance to air outside the US. Just like The Finder, series 1 cancelled before its finished airing in the UK. (Albiet Michael Clarke Duncan) Oh, and not forgetting Lie to Me. All great shows!

diego vaz August 27, 2012 at 12:44 am

I’ve watched in brazil, and i’m really sad that they canceled the show, but looking in another angle, they closed all the gaps in the history of the serie, with jack finding his sister and deciding her future, rylan getting out of the history, giving veronica, even if it has not been shown in the serie, a chance to move on with her life, and I think that those are the biggest problems to be resolved by the characters.

sorry about the bad english, but i’m not really good yet at it, but I think that i made myself clear.

Sharon May 21, 2012 at 7:56 am

This is so frustrating, you get engrossed in a great series, they leave you on a cliff hanger – wanting more – then they go and cancel the series. This was a great series that i recommended to others because it emphasises mental health in a not stigmatising way. If Government/ Production teams want to help mental health become less stigmatised – we should have more programmes to help people understand the conditions. This is a dragic waste of a good programme. I live in the UK and I only seen this once advertised – loved it – mayb if it was more widely promoted over here it may have proved more successful. Bring it back if you can.

Sammy Snot Rag January 11, 2012 at 2:34 pm

OMG – I’ve only recently found out that ‘Mental’ existed and I believe it has been around since 2009! I have watched all 13 episodes every spare minute I’ve had! Im gutted to find out that there is no season 2. Mental is a great show! I work within the profession myself and enjoyed the whole lot. Was this programme shown in the UK?

natalie November 28, 2011 at 6:39 am

Watched this in England, how annoying that there are not going to be any more, it was a great show have been watching house since the start and it is easily as good as house, what a shame.

Anonymous November 10, 2011 at 9:18 am

Several shows don’t make it during the first session-that doesn’t mean you should give up and cancel them. We need a show like Mental to help people empathize with the nurmous number of Americans that struggle with “mental illness.” The people at FOX give up too easily!