My Name Is Earl: TBS Not Buying Jason Lee Sitcom, Staying Cancelled

My Name Is EarlNews recently surfaced that, in light of NBC’s cancellation of My Name Is Earl, TBS was interested in picking up the show for 13 new episodes. The cable channel currently airs the first three seasons and is scheduled to add season four in the Fall.

Unfortunately, all sides weren’t able to come to an agreement so there won’t be a fifth season of the sitcom. The Hollywood Reporter reports that series creator Greg Garcia and producing studio 20th Century Fox TV decided not pursue the deal after looking at the necessary budget cuts. Meanwhile, the LA Times believes that TBS felt they wouldn’t be able to afford the show and cut the discussions short. Either way, the end result’s the same.

Yesterday, actor Ethan Suplee (Randy on Earl) indicated that the deal was still possible. On Twitter, he wrote, “I heard TBS MIGHT stand for TheBestStation.” Earlier today, he changed his tune and wrote, “TBS isn’t TheBestStation for reviving Earl. Good news is I’m now available to play Shia Laboof’s better looking brother in Transformers 3.”

A little while ago, 20th Century Fox TV issued a statement that said, “Greg Garcia’s brilliant My Name Is Earl kept America laughing for the past four seasons and certainly deserved to continue for many more.”

“While we had hoped to find a way to produce additional episodes for TBS, in the final analysis we simply could not make the economics work without seriously undermining the artistic integrity of the series. As none of us, Greg included, want the show to go out on anything but a high note, we regret that we must put to rest any speculation that Earl will continue.”

“We are grateful to everyone at TBS for their enthusiasm for the series and wish to offer our heartfelt thanks to the cast and crew of My Name Is Earl for their incredible work.”

So, the sitcom is apparently over. Unfortunately, the viewers have been left hanging. If you had your choice, how would you like to see the Earl story concluded?

Donna February 25, 2013 at 3:09 am

I watch the DVD’s with my 11 year old son and so far am only on season 2 but at least bring it back so that we can see what happens after earl’s list is completed.

Chris February 23, 2013 at 8:09 pm

ending the show the way it was, made me fucking depressed. if they brought the show back that would be so fucking awesome. maybe it will pull a family guy and come back soon.

Huge Fan February 11, 2013 at 9:20 am

Please bring this show back! It was so original and we were always laughing watching it! It had good morals too! Do good and good things will happen!

Nissa January 19, 2013 at 2:18 pm

‘My Name Is Earl’ is the best TV show out there!!! The characters are awesome!! BRING IT BACK!!!!!

kendelle January 17, 2013 at 3:57 am

PLEASE, PLEASE, BRING IT BACK!!! ONE OF THE MOST ORIGINAL, CREATIVE SHOWS IN UH, FOREVER!!! AWESOME WRITING, PERFECT CASTING (SO TALENTED!), EVEN COMES WITH A MORAL. HOW DID NO ONE JUMP ON THIS OPPORTUNITY!?! PLAN B: PLEASE AT LEAST MAKE A MOVIE AND TIE UP THESE LOOSE ENDS THAT ARE DRIVING US CRAZY!!! YOU FIND AN ENTERTAINING WAY TO TEACH AMERICA ABOUT ACTION AND CONSEQUENCE -EARL’S HAPPY ENDING COULD SPARK A NATIONWIDE CHANGE FOR THE BETTER! NEVER KNOW, COULD HAPPEN-AT LEAST WORTH A SHOT….AT WORST -WE’D HAVE THE ANSWERS WE’VE BEEN CRAVING AND ONE OF THE BEST MOVIES OF THE YEAR. HEY, KEVIN SMITH!! GET ON THIS ASAP!!!

Crabman January 6, 2013 at 6:08 pm

What a shame Earl got cancelled, it was simply the best show ever. They should start making new episodes.

PS: Hey Earl!

Earl February 18, 2013 at 5:53 pm

Hey Crabman!

keanu January 1, 2013 at 12:24 pm

would be sick if the cast decided to finish for free just for us, best show ever, but then it would also be cool if they kept going for like 20 more seasons rest in peace earl

gamer9890 December 30, 2012 at 8:24 pm

my name is earl is one of the best shows anyone could watch and then you cancel the show at a to be continued im sure jason lee never wanted to end the show it was hilarous it was the best i miss it so much is there anyway you can get it back????? please!!!!!

Earl December 6, 2012 at 10:09 am

I loved this show it was the best

Erykah Garcia September 22, 2012 at 5:47 pm

I believe they NEED to have the show back on. Now a days the things their playing on tv is overrated & not as good as the shows back in the days.

AliKatt September 12, 2012 at 2:50 pm

This show is amazing you can’t just stop were you did that’s bogus

raider nation August 27, 2012 at 5:01 am

Dude I just got into the show on netflix watch all the way up to season four would have loved to finish to see who was really earl jr dad is please finish making it I think a lot if people would watch

loulou August 9, 2012 at 10:54 am

I can’t believe they cancelled the show… They should’ve at least added a few more episodes…

Anonymous July 15, 2012 at 2:41 pm

my nae is earl was one of very very few things on television worth watching wat the fuk

Ivyn June 25, 2012 at 11:06 pm

Big fan of the show. Still even watch the older episodes from time to time. Its a shame that NBC let it go and TBS couldn’t hang. I really want to know whos Earl Jr’s dad is, or will Earl finally finish his List, and etc. NBC and TBS are knuckleheads. Another brilliant station should pick this show up and revive it with all its comedic glory.

Anonymous July 5, 2012 at 11:06 pm

^^you are a smart person. i also wish any station would pick Earl up. it’s too awesome of a show to end, especially like that!