NY Med

Seasons: One

TV show dates: July 10, 2012 – August 22, 2012
Series status: Cancelled/ended

Performers include: (none)

past TV show

TV show description:
This docu-series follows the doctors, nurses, patients, and their friends/family members at three New York hospitals.

What do grandmothers, addicts and celebrities have in common? All of them seek care at Columbia and Weill Cornell Medical Centers the crown jewels of the prestigious New York-Presbyterian Hospital in New York City. For a full year ABC cameras had unprecedented access to document the mayhem and the miracles that occur daily in these world class facilities. Adding a Brooklyn dimension, Lutheran Medical Center also participated.

The TV series provides a raw and intimate look at life inside these hospitals where doctors spend far more time with each other than with their families, developing complicated and intertwined personal relationships.
space

Series Finale

Episode #8
Rita Saverino made a career in the cold-eyed world of investment banking, where success and failure are measured in profit and loss. Now this warm and affectionate mother of two boys must face the worst kind of risk analysis. She must calculate whether to have a rare and potentially fatal surgery in an effort to excise the extensive cancer in her abdomen. The surgery will remove her liver, stomach, kidney and intestines from the abdomen, cut away the adherent sarcoma, and finally put the organs back into Rita’s body. Dr. Tomoaki Kato is world famous for this operation, which has been criticized by some who says that not enough studies exist to support such a radical procedure. For Rita’s family, it is a gamble for life, a wager they cannot refuse.

Chris Towe and his wife, Vanessa Ho, are residents in surgery who sometimes get to operate together. This unique portrait of how a young couple tries to conduct a marriage in front of colleagues in the high stakes, high pressured world of medical residency, is revealing, funny and moving.

Allan Stewart is a cardiac surgeon who drives high-end sports cars and is engaged to a celebrity food show host. He says there are three kinds of surgeons “slow and bad,” “fast and bad,” and “fast and good.” He says he is the latter. Unabashed in evaluating his own skills, Stewart knows that nobody wants a surgeon who lacks confidence or is unsure of himself.

Jesse Gottfried looks like a 13-year old boy. The problem is that Jesse is actually 18 and has Crohn’s disease, which leaves him with intestinal blockages so severe that he has trouble absorbing the nutrients his body needs in order to grow. Fabrizio Michelassi is the charming chief of surgery at New York Presbyterian’s Weill Cornell hospital who has invented a new kind of colon surgery that could provide Jesse with a normal life.
First aired: August 22, 2012.

space

What do you think? Do you like the NY Med TV series? Would you like to see it return for a second season?

ruth selitto August 26, 2012 at 6:22 pm

Thank-you for this reality show. I work in the medical field and love to see how others react in the same issues we as medical techs face each day.

JAN AZZARELLO September 12, 2012 at 11:24 am

LIKE THE SHOW IMMENSILY

Sandra Dodge August 26, 2012 at 12:51 pm

Loved the show. Absolutely the best thing I watched all summer. I hope there are plans to bring it back again. I am a fan

Lynne August 23, 2012 at 11:16 pm

LOVE THIS SHOW! Ive been watching the medical shows on Discovery Fit & Health, but some of them are nearly 10 years old! Its very interesting to see what goes on behind the scenes, and I hope you bring this show back!

Robin S August 23, 2012 at 9:27 pm

I have really enjoyed this show, in the world of reality shows, this has by far been the best, and a very informative show, I have worked in the medical field for 25 yrs and now, i am a patient, I am in need of a kidney, so seeing other families and what they have had to go threw has really helped me understand my illness better, I hope we havent seen the last of this show!

kimberly Quinn August 23, 2012 at 3:17 pm

I love this show. Enough of the medicine to be interesting but not graphic, enough of the human stories, both doctor and patient, to be real but not a soap opera. Please bring it back next season

Patty Dragon August 23, 2012 at 2:08 pm

Please don’t take this show off. I enjoy it so much. I think it is so informative. It really is like being in a real hospital. I’ve been in many times myself. I have spina bifida and also have had many surgeries.

Renee August 23, 2012 at 12:50 pm

I love this show! My 16 yr old daughter is in the health academy in High School and she also loves this show! Gives her a little more in site to what to expect when she enters Med School.

sarah Allen August 23, 2012 at 12:11 pm

Yes I would love it they came back.SO PLEASE BRING THE SHOW BACK ABC!!!!!!

Barbara Frease August 23, 2012 at 10:01 am

This show is a cut above all other summer shows. Real people, real drama of hospital employees and patients. I’m so hoping there will be more episodes but with the low watchers in the “all-important” 18-49 age group it most likely will end. Quality shows don’t often last!

Patricia Light August 23, 2012 at 8:39 am

One of the best shows on tv….I absolutely love it. I have told some family members and they like it too. I guess it’s considered reality tv, but if it is, it’s in a class by itself!
Great stories that are believable and tug at your heart!! Please keep the show going!

Irene Solis August 23, 2012 at 8:24 am

I really enjoy this show, please bring it back and keep up the great job. We really learn about what goes on in hospital and to see Dr.Oz doing his job away from his show.

Carol August 23, 2012 at 1:12 am

Watched it for the first time 8/22/2012. Loved it! It’t the real deal, emotional as well no matter what the out come is. Dr. Oz. Is a genius!!

Kathy M August 23, 2012 at 12:23 am

this is a great show. Hope it stays on the air

patricia August 22, 2012 at 9:56 pm

LOVE THE SHOW

Pat Stringfield August 22, 2012 at 8:50 pm

I enjoyed this show so much. Would love to see if come back for Season 2. This medical reality show was unlikely any I have watched in the past. Had a little bit of everything. And Dr. Oz. Great job.