Pan Am: ABC Denies Cancellation But…

Pan Am canceled?Today, actress Karine Vanasse sent out a tweet indicating that Pam Am had been cancelled and it had TV fans and pundits in a tizzy.

The actress wrote, “Well, we received THE call, #PanAm is only coming back for one more episode after Christmas. But up to the end, we’ll give it our all!” (A French-Canadian, she also tweeted it in French: “C’est confirme, un seul episode de plus en janvier pour #PanAm. J’espere que vous serez la jusqu’a la fin!”)

ABC reps were quick to respond by saying that the show has not been cancelled and is still under consideration for a second season. The cast and crew are continuing to produce the 13 episodes the network initially ordered as well as one more. A final decision won’t be made until May.

Vanasse later tweeted to say, “Sorry for the confusion #PanAm fans; we still have 5 new episodes to air until February!” You’ll note that Vanasse didn’t say that the show hasn’t been cancelled, merely that there are still a handful of unaired episodes remaining.

Though the network won’t admit it, and there’s certainly no benefit for them to do so, the early assumptions are on track.

The retro-drama is one of the lowest shows on the network and currently has a “D+” grade on this season’s report card. Realistically, Pan Am is not coming back for a second season and the network’s actions support that theory.

In releasing their mid-season schedule, we know that ABC has opted to take Pan Am off the air after February. That means that, if ABC wanted to renew it, they’d have to put a lot of money into relaunching the show, one that had been off the air for at least seven months. There’s simply no point in putting that much effort into a show that has been limping through its first season.

It seems likely that ABC ordered the extra episode so that producers will be able to wrap up the series in a satisfying way. Hopefully for fans that’s what they’re doing.

What do you think? Do you think that Pan Am is actually cancelled? Is there any hope for a second season?

MS December 5, 2011 at 7:59 pm

I love the show. please dont cancel it.. what can we do to help keep it on the air??

Jay December 5, 2011 at 4:31 pm

I hate the prospect of this series being cancelled. It is such a good period piece with great side stories that give us a picture of how things developed into what they are now…I hope the network reconsiders and gives the marketing of it half a chance.

jane everett December 5, 2011 at 1:58 pm

PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL PAM AM…EVERYONE I KNOW IS SO CRAZY ABOUT IT!!!!!! LOVE THE CHARACTERS..THE CLOTHES ARE TO DIE FOR..AND THE BLOT IS GETTING BETTER AND BETTER!!! PLEASE DO NOT CANCEL!!!!!!

smartman December 5, 2011 at 9:44 am

Ouch I knew the show had missed the bar set by Mad Men but I didn’t realize how many bars it missed in the first place. Its gone, I suggest you look up the show that it was inspired on. Mad Men will have many more seasons.

barb December 4, 2011 at 6:28 pm

no wonder i have stopped watching tv! you get a show with a good plot, great characters, mostly, and it’s gone! the direction of tv is for idiots and teenagers. good luck!

Denise December 2, 2011 at 10:37 pm

Love, love this show as do a lot of people here in California. So ridiculous to cancel such a great show!!!!

Dianna December 1, 2011 at 9:01 am

Don’t cancell Have enjoyed the show and the characters

Anonymous November 30, 2011 at 3:50 pm

DONT CANCEL PAN AM!!

dido November 30, 2011 at 10:15 am

Really ??? Give me a break. Why do they get rid of all the good shows and keep all the crap.
Gee I hope they put on another stupid singing contest or another lawyer show or even better another Bachelorette/Bachelor show (hear ya on that one Bruce) Who is running the networks,….. twits ? I guess I just answered my own question.

Bruce November 30, 2011 at 9:18 am

Yeah the network IDIOTS strike again. The show has “only” 7 million viewers ON A SUNDAY NIGHT AT TEN PM, so, that’s not good enough for them, they spend millions to produce it (re creating 1964 or whatever down to the cars, the 707s etc is not cheap), spend NO TIME AT ALL advertising it, and then, cancel it. What a bunch of morons. I guess we’ll get more “Bachelorette” or “Dance Dance Dance your butt off” something or other, instead. PathETic.

Val December 1, 2011 at 10:46 am

You tell them Bruce. I agree with 100% on everything you wrote.

MK December 1, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Word.

Rob December 5, 2011 at 6:12 pm

Exactly

Ric November 30, 2011 at 7:50 am

Good-bye! this show is as dead as the airline it’s named for! It wad okay for an episode or two, then it was like the loveboat in the air, YUCK!

Barbara November 30, 2011 at 4:50 am

I love this show. Last episode I got on iPad apt for ABC was Nov 13th. I would hate to see it cancelled.

Kat November 29, 2011 at 9:44 pm

It sure does sound like Pan Am is heading towards cancelation. The very fact that they’re pushing back the last five episodes is not a good sign — haven’t the networks learned yet that shows, particularly new shows, lose momentum as more time passes?

I recently saw an advertisement that tried billing Pan Am as a “Desperate Housewives”-esque show. It isn’t. And that’s a good thing. Sure, there are soapy plot twists and the show’s female-led, but “Pan Am” has something “Desperate Housewives” is desperately seeking — class. I guess ABC’s so focused on finding the next Desperate Housewives (will it be “GCB”? I won’t be watching to find out!) that they’re willing to give up on a good thing (albeit not a ratings winner). Wouldn’t be the first time, won’t be the last.

donna November 29, 2011 at 7:07 pm

Well, that’s what I figured, so instead of watching them live, I’ve been saving the episodes in my DVR. Guess it’s very close to time to go ahead and delete them. Did the same with PRIME SUSPECT and saved myself a lot of time and effort getting into it. Learned my lesson after DIRTY SEXY MONEY, CASHMERE MAFIA, LIPSTICK JUNGLE and MOONLIGHT.

Antoinette November 29, 2011 at 4:15 pm

OMG!! I really, really hope that it is not cancelled! I have truely found a series that I am enjoying and I feel that it can go in soooo many different angles!! I love the show and hope that they continue and that this is all a ruse!!!!! Please ABC,,,keep Pan Am!!!!