Parenthood: Season Four Ratings

NBC parenthood ratingsUnfortunately, Parenthood has never been a hit TV show in the ratings. Fortunately, the numbers have been good enough to keep it from being cancelled each year. Will the Braverman family’s luck hold out? Time will tell.

An ensemble family drama, the cast includes Bonnie Bedelia, Craig T. Nelson, Dax Shepard, Erika Christensen, Joy Bryant, Lauren Graham, Mae Whitman, Max Burkholder, Miles Heizer, Monica Potter, Peter Krause, Sam Jaeger, Sarah Ramos, Savannah Paige Rae, and Tyree Brown.

Season four of Parenthood typically airs on Tuesdays nights at 10pm on the NBC network. They’ve ordered 15 episodes.

These are the TV show’s ratings for the 2012-13 season, the best way to tell if Parenthood is going to be cancelled or renewed for season five.

The figures will be updated as the weeks progress so be sure to bookmark and return to this page:

UPDATE: NBC has renewed this show for 2013-14 and has ordered 22 episodes.

Final season averages: 1.8 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.98 million total viewers.

Episode 04-15: Tuesday, 01/22/13 (season finale)
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.87 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.98 million.

Episode 04-14: Tuesday, 01/15/13
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.96 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

NBC TV show ratingsEpisode 04-13: Tuesday, 01/08/13
1.9 in the demo (+6% change) with 5.30 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.99 million.

Episode 04-12: Tuesday, 01/01/13
1.8 in the demo (-10% change) with 5.37 million (-6% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.96 million.

Episode 04-11: Tuesday, 12/11/12
2.0 in the demo (+11% change) with 5.73 million (+15% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-10: Tuesday, 12/04/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.98 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.85 million.

Episode 04-09: Tuesday, 11/27/12
1.8 in the demo (+6% change) with 4.49 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.83 million.

Episode 04-08: Tuesday, 11/20/12
1.7 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.62 million (-4% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.88 million.

Episode 04-07: Tuesday, 11/13/12
1.9 in the demo (0% change) with 4.82 million (-1% change).
Season averages: 1.84 in the demo with 4.91 million.

Episode 04-06: Tuesday, 10/23/12
1.9 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.85 million (-2% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 4.93 million.

Episode 04-05: Tuesday, 10/09/12
2.0 in the demo (+25% change) with 4.95 million (+11% change).
Season averages: 1.82 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-04: Tuesday, 10/02/12
1.6 in the demo (-11% change) with 4.45 million (-8% change).
Season averages: 1.77 in the demo with 4.94 million.

Episode 04-03: Tuesday, 09/25/12
1.8 in the demo (0% change) with 4.85 million (-3% change).
Season averages: 1.83 in the demo with 5.10 million.

Episode 04-02: Tuesday, 9/18/12
1.8 in the demo (-5% change) with 4.98 million (-9% change).
Season averages: 1.85 in the demo with 5.23 million.

Episode 04-01: Tuesday, 9/11/12
1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 5.48 million total viewers.
Season averages: 1.90 in the demo with 5.48 million.

It wasn’t a great start of the season. Though Parenthood won its timeslot (opposite reruns), it was down year-to-year by 14% in the coveted demo (vs a 2.2 rating) and down by 13% in total viewers (vs 6.29 million). This isn’t a big surprise however since each season opener has been lower than the one before it.

Reference point: The 2011-12 season of Parenthood averaged a 1.9 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.13 million viewers.

Note: These ratings are collected by the Nielsen company and are the final national numbers. These are different from the fast affiliate numbers which are just estimates of the actual ratings and are reported by most other outlets. The final nationals are typically released within 24 hours of the programming or, in the case of weekends and holidays, a couple days later.

What do you think? Do you like the Parenthood TV series? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a fifth season?

Amazon.com Widgets

Duane December 7, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I can give or take it. I watch it but many times I yell at the screen at the wimpy guys except Dad and now the teacher/boyfriend guy. Can’t remember his name. Most of the women are nerotic except Mom. I still don’t know why I have this guilty pleasure. Maybe going senile?

Adam Decker December 6, 2012 at 2:21 pm

This website used to say where the show was rated among the other shows on the network. Why don’t you do that anymore?

admin December 6, 2012 at 3:23 pm

The rankings change too often for it to be useful on the individual show posts. I’ll be doing another big list for each network after this week.

Steve December 5, 2012 at 3:19 pm

Best show on TV per my family and many co workers. DO NOT CANCEL THIS SHOW!

bridget December 4, 2012 at 11:03 pm

Do Not Cancel PLEASE!! This show is so good!

Maddie December 3, 2012 at 1:44 pm

Wouldn’t be surprised if this show had the same destiny as Friday Night Lights. Both shows were/are the most underrated t.v. shows on television. MORE PUBLICITY

Helen November 29, 2012 at 6:07 pm

I LOVE THIS SHOW. THE BEST SHOW ON T.V.

Joan November 29, 2012 at 4:24 pm

Love this show…I work overnight shift, and look forward to watching my DVR of Parenthood EVERY WEEK…It is the ONLY series on TV (cable or network) that I consider “MUST SEE” viewing!

Ellen November 28, 2012 at 9:23 pm

The quality of this show has really dropped this year. The writing has declined and I find myself fast fowarding some of the inane dialogue. I’ll stick it out for a few more episodes, and if it doesn’t return to the sharp show it used to be, I can easily find a cable show with a lot more punch.

Madelene November 25, 2012 at 9:03 pm

This is definitely the best show that is still on TV that has even the possibility of being renewed. Most of the other shows that have come on in the few years have been horrible, and all of the other TV shows that I watch on a regular basis have simply run their course and will be done after this season.
I would be horribly upset if this show was cancelled. I look forward to watching it every week and its the ONE show that my husband and I bother to watch the day that it comes on.

RLewis November 23, 2012 at 8:22 pm

Love this show. My adult children are watchers as well.
We would be really sad if it is cancelled.

Kelcie November 21, 2012 at 4:44 pm

My husband and my favorite show on tv! We would be really bummed if it got canceled.

Daryl November 20, 2012 at 11:50 pm

This show is getting as bad as Brothers and Sisters. I realize it is a family drama. Tonight’s show 11/20/12 was way way to much drama. The same old crap with the same people fighting and making waves. The writers better get their stuff together. At this point I don’t care if I watch it or not. It started out interesting and I looked forward to watching. Now it has become a bore and turn off.

Carolyn November 17, 2012 at 6:21 pm

I have had my DVR set for Parenthood since last season and it has not recorded the new shows this year (I am very upset). I did not know the show was back on. I have reset the DVR and I will be watching every week. My husband and I love the show, we look forward to watching it. It is the only show I watch weekly.

Judy Larson November 13, 2012 at 5:52 pm

Please do not cancel this show – it is the best show on TV! I have never left a comment on any website before but I really think this show is worth it. I look forward to it every week.

joyce mclaughlin November 11, 2012 at 5:06 pm

Do not cancel this show promote it more it is the best show on t.v.