Parenthood: NBC Series Gets Third Season Renewal

Parenthood season threeWe reported yesterday that NBC was working on renewing Parenthood for a third season. The deal is apparently done now, ensuring that the Braverman family will be back in primetime next season. There hasn’t been official confirmation about how many episodes have been ordered yet.

The renewal is actually a no-brainer, especially considering the state of the rest of NBC’s schedule. Parenthood has lost viewers over the last couple seasons but still ranks as the second-highest rated drama on the the network. This season has averaged a 2.1 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.34 million viewers.

Loosely based on a 1989 movie of the same name, Parenthood stars Bonnie Bedelia, Craig T. Nelson, Dax Shepard, Erika Christensen, Lauren Graham, Mae Whitman, Max Burkholder, Miles Heizer, Monica Potter, Peter Krause, Sam Jaeger, Sarah Ramos, and Savannah Rae.

NBC will officially unveil the new 2011-12 schedule to advertisers on Monday but will give reporters a preview on Sunday. Be user to bookmark and visit our NBC cancel/renew page to keep up with the latest comings and goings.

What do you think? How could NBC help Parenthood get more viewers? Would you change the show, maybe get rid of some characters?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our NBC cancel/renew page.

Steve Ramsey May 24, 2011 at 2:50 pm

I’ve been a big fan of this show from the first episode and have always been extremely frustrated by how NBC shuffles it around for live events, mini-series, etc… As a viewer, it makes it pretty odd/confusing when a show is on for 3 weeks, then off for two, then on again, then a break, etc…

My wife and I continually comment, “How on earth do they expect to attract new/consistent viewers if they can’t even schedule it regularly?” The same was true with Fox and Arrested Development. The show wasn’t the problem – it was the marketing and scheduling…

Hopefully season 3 will bring some renewed focus from NBC to give this show the presence it deserves. Best writing on TV at the moment. Hands down…

Francisco A. Rodriguez May 23, 2011 at 1:55 pm

Super show ! Too bad it’s only an hour. It’s been a long time since a quality show has been on air. Normally I watch cable as there are more quality and action-packed shows. The program needs more promotion , and steady broadcast day/hour. Amazing how each character feeds of each other—like Seinfeld, MASH and Magnum. That’s why they were great shows!!!. Thanks.

John George May 22, 2011 at 11:29 am

This is the best TV show, I am so happy to hear about season 3 renewal. It is such a positive example to viewers that families have challenges and are worth working together to resolve things! Love and respect are key ingredients, communication and conflict resolution, all expressed beautifully in season 1 and 2. Too many people simply give up today and do not resolve problems, whereas this show shows how awesome it can be done. I gifted season 1 dvd series to 6 different people and cannot wait to buy season 2 on dvd. My own kids got my wife and I to start watching Parenthood. I work for Speedo swimwear and hope for season 3 that Julia and her daughter and the swim team will reappear! Speedo had the privilege of providing products to NBC for season 1 episode. I also think Adam should stay in the active life style industry, now that he is unemployed, he can go to work for us as part of the show! I also hope for Season 3 they will have a Christmas episode for the first time, such a great family holiday. Yeh for season 3!!!

Anonymous May 16, 2011 at 7:39 am

I love this show thank you N B C

Vicki P May 15, 2011 at 10:14 pm

I love this show, but I believe it would do better if it were not up against The Good Wife, which I also love. I DVR both of them. I’ve never missed an episode of either show & would hate to lose them both.

Beth Coccaro May 14, 2011 at 3:19 am

Happy Happy Joy Joy!

This is one of my favorite shows. Whenever the dog airs before closing credits, I emit a little unhappy sigh that the current episode is ending….

Liz May 13, 2011 at 9:55 pm

I love this show. I think they should give more importance to Lauren’s character, she is to me the most underrated actress in Hollywood. Her character in this show is the most interesting. This show should be on air for a while because is really really good…So THANKS NBC. :0)

Valerie Welch May 13, 2011 at 2:56 pm

Parenthood is a great show.So glad it has returned and praying for it to be on for many more years. I hope NBC truly promote this show. We need more quality shows like this Keep the cast and add more cast members. Please continue the great work. I hope Oprah can find a way to put this show on her network. She would take care of this show like it should be taken care of. Thank you NBC for keeping this show alive.

RecceR May 13, 2011 at 12:59 pm

Awesome news! NBC needs to advertise the show much more. They did a decent job for season 1, but when season 2 came around not so much. I know it’s also a really hard thing for broadcast TV, but continuity helps a great deal. Long breaks and unexpected weeks off are a given for any broadcast show. However, it’s the fact that they do not advertize the returns enough ever. Chase’s return was not made known until the actual day it came back this spring; some did not even know it came back until days later. I think they should try out the Wednesday at 10pm timeslot. There is much less to compete with on that night and if they do a decent job with advertising, it could help the show. An Emmy nomination/win also never hurt any show, and Parenthood is truly worth it. Mad Men is a perfect example of that, considering it’s not so amazing ratings, yet it keeps living because of the popularity and Emmy wins.

RecceR May 13, 2011 at 1:01 pm

About the Emmy comment, I know NBC can’t give it that, but I’m just saying that may be helpful also. lol

Jeremy Rynek May 13, 2011 at 11:50 am

Good, but renew Law & Order SVU.

Ross May 13, 2011 at 11:36 am

Screw NBC and deport Steve Burke!

Cara May 13, 2011 at 9:53 am

“lost viewers over the last couple of seasons?” Seriously, does the author even WATCH TV?? This show has only been on the air for ONE season!! WTF??

admin May 13, 2011 at 11:05 am

Cara » Thanks very much for your polite comment. FYI:
Season one: 3/2/10 – 5/25/10
Season two: 9/14/10 – 4/19/11

Jan May 13, 2011 at 9:49 am

I am so happy that NBC renewed Parenthood. I don’t watch many current network shows but I really enjoy this show. I am a happy Grandma with one beautiful granddaughter so I can relate to the parent and grandparent characters.

mrsports May 13, 2011 at 9:05 am

Excellent show, one of the best on TV… thanks NBC for actually renewing a good show!

Jim May 13, 2011 at 8:53 am