Partners: FX Comedy Likely to Be Cancelled

Partners TV show on FX; cancelled?In the past, Kelsey Grammer and Martin Lawrence have both had successful sitcoms that ran for many years. Unfortunately, it doesn’t look like the duo’s new FX sitcom, Partners, has much of a future. It’s very likely to be cancelled.

On Partners, a snobby lawyer (Grammer) and an overly ethics-driven lawyer (Lawrence) become partners and end up helping each other get their lives in order. The rest of the cast includes McKaley Miller, Telma Hopkins, Danièle Watts, Rory O’Malley, and Edi Patterson.

As you may recall, FX made a 10/90 deal for Partners with Lionsgate TV and Debmar-Mercury. If the sitcom’s first 10 episodes reached a certain ratings threshold then the cable channel was obligated to order 90 episodes for season two — assuring the studios would have enough episodes for a (potentially very lucrative) syndication package.

Charlie Sheen’s sitcom, Anger Management, has a similar deal and this week, the 67th and 68th episodes of that sitcom’s 90 installment second season aired. George Lopez’s Saint George comedy also had a 10/90 deal but drew poor ratings and it was cancelled.

Deadline reports that it’s highly unlikely for Partners to go past a single season and it’s easy to see why. The ratings have been absolutely dismal. This week’s pair of episodes averaged a 0.12 rating in the demo and a mere 415,000 viewers — far lower than Saint George ever dipped.

Supposedly, FX hasn’t reached a decision yet but, unless there’s some sort of miraculous turnaround, it seems like Partners is already doomed to be cancelled.

What do you think? Do you like Partners? Do you think it should be cancelled or renewed for a super-sized second season?

Anonymous April 7, 2015 at 2:14 pm

No keep it

Anonymous February 26, 2015 at 3:49 am

I like it

Tiitilayo February 19, 2015 at 3:35 pm

i liked the show, but am on the fence about this pairing. Kelsey was…well…Kelsey. i must admit that i was slightly disappointed with the lack of energy i’ve grown accustomed to from Martin. i felt his character was dry…like a piece of toast. i hope it continues to give them both the chance to be the great comedic geniuses i know them to be. keep it on!!

Anonymous February 17, 2015 at 7:47 pm

I liked the show, (the episodes I did watch) but there was a lack of good/ funny script writing for the characters. I felt that “they” were just trying too hard to be funny. Comparing this show to Frasier or Martin, it doesn’t come close. Hopefully with better marketing and freshness the show will be seen by more and not come off so stale.

NayNay February 17, 2015 at 9:25 am

I loved this show.

George February 14, 2015 at 10:48 pm

I think Frasier was one of the funniest shows of all time. Martin had its moments although not my taste. But Partners is AWFUL. I tuned out a long time ago.

Shimmy February 13, 2015 at 6:51 pm

I really enjoyed the show. A lot of people didn’t know about the show and thus the poor ratings

Bill January 30, 2015 at 12:54 pm

This was a ridiculous mistake, these two aren’t funny (together) and don’t have chemistry and it was clearly just a gimmick getting them both on a show. All these comments saying its great, I wonder what they pay you people! Is there ANY show that gets cancelled that you think deserve it? Because this one sure did and its good that its gone!

Bob Budner January 31, 2015 at 8:57 am

Bill, People like you just like to say bad things about a show just to be different. I would bet that you never watched the show or else you just watched one or two episodes. Yeah we get paid big bucks to have good comments to a show that’s about to get cancelled. Lol maybe if you watch more episodes then you would like it also.

Anonymous January 25, 2015 at 9:51 pm

I felt like it was a great show there just wasn’t enough marketing for it. How are you all suppose to get ratings up if people don’t even know the show exist

Dar!o December 31, 2014 at 3:08 am

I love this show. It’s very funny and I need more and more and more …….

Stevmarii December 30, 2014 at 11:58 pm

This really is a hilarious show. Grammar and Martin have fantastic chemistry. The problem is poor advertising/marketing. No one knows about this great show! I stumbled upon the show while it just so happened to be on and being a huge (huge, huge!) Kelsey Grammar fan, immediately set my Genie to record the series. The show needs to be better advertised and not just on FX but on Fox and any other networks, as well. I strongly believe they should change the theme song, too. As silly as this might sound, it’s off-putting and doesn’t fit the shop’s premise at all. Fix those, and I’m sure FX will have a winner!

Kim December 23, 2014 at 5:33 pm

I think it is a funny show. I loved it! Although it is not marketed well. Need to let folks know it is there.

Anonymous December 21, 2014 at 11:32 pm

I absolutely love the show! The combination of Martin and Kelsey was incredible. In my opinion I believe the show will do well. Please bring get back!!!

A.D December 11, 2014 at 6:02 pm

This is a great show. I don’t understand why this show will not continue maybe the network show give them a better time slot to get more exposure.

Anonymous December 11, 2014 at 11:22 am

Me and my daughter loved this show. We are HUGE Kelsey grammar fans. We love martin too. Thus show did come on demand so we never watched it when it aired. I really hope that if watching it on demand doesn’t ruin the chances of it having season two. A lot of ppl watched it on demand because there other shows are on.the same time slot. Please don’t cancel.