Red Widow: Cancelled by ABC, No Season Two

Red Widow canceledMarta Walraven (Radha Mitchell) won’t have to worry about working for the mob for a second season. Red Widow has been cancelled by ABC after one season and eight episodes.

Red Widow follows a San Francisco housewife and mother who finds herself forced to continue her late husband’s work in organized crime for the sake of her family. The series’ cast includes Radha Mitchell, Clifton Collins Jr., Luke Goss, Sterling Beaumon, Suleka Mathew, Erin Moriarty, Jaime Ray Newman, Jakob Salvati, Lee Tergesen, Wil Traval, Rade Serbedzija, and Goran Visnjic.

The show’s ratings were unfortunately very low right from the start — debuting to a 1.5 demo rating in the 18-49 demographic with 7.13 million total viewers.

The numbers got worse for later episodes and Red Widow fell as low as a 0.7 rating and 3.47 million viewers — much too low to warrant a renewal.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show has been cancelled? Why do you think it didn’t catch on with a bigger audience?

maricela castellano June 19, 2013 at 3:55 pm

what??!!bring it back please! the characters are awesome! i love this show its a break from all the other typical shows on air right now!

bRAD June 19, 2013 at 3:36 pm

Red Widow is a very good show, worthy of renewal. Probably it was cancelled due in part to being a mid-season show, and in part to ABC’s lust for ratings over quality. (I am TRULY nauseated how they re-tooled a good show like “Body of Proof” to bring it back, sacrificing decent plots, character development, and good detective storylines in favor of shock value and unnecessary ridiculous plot twists. Obviously, it didn’t work, and by the time it was over, I was OVERJOYED to see “Body of Proof” GO. They made a decent show COMPLETELY UNWATCHABLE.)
At LEAST ABC didn’t give “Red Widow” the lobotomizing treatment they gave “Body of Proof”. BUT, I HOPE that NBC or FOX or even TNT or AMC or one of the other networks does the SMART thing and picks up “Red Widow”, showing ABC what a STUPID move they made in cancelling it.

Anonymous June 10, 2013 at 8:01 pm

Bring red widow back!!! It was a great drama with well thought out characters and actors!

lenore June 7, 2013 at 12:39 am

I never saw 8 shows
the last one on TV was May 5th
it did not show the ending
what happened????

joan fuess June 5, 2013 at 10:23 pm

I cannot believe that RedWidow was cancelled. It was high drama; but believeable with great acting, great story line. Maybe a little rushed but even so the characters were well developed. Hope it returns for a second season … it has much potential.

Maria June 5, 2013 at 7:35 am

I watched the first episode on tv and then came online to watch the following episodes as I couldn’t wait a week to see what was going to happen. The storyline is fantastic and I’m now left in agony wondering what could’ve happened. Please make another season and end it off but don’t leave those viewers who really liked the show in suspense.

Cassandra Brown June 4, 2013 at 11:35 pm

I just saw this show on hulu and it is absolutely awesome. I think ABC should have aireed repeat episodes, just as other networks have done with programs that were not doing so well. It is ashame that it is cancelled , because it is a good show. The network did not promote the show enough.If the rest of the world like me, they did not realize how good this program was. It was like it was setup for failure. The creators did not believe in themselves which it evident by only creating or consenting to air only 8 episodes. What a shame.

elizabeth June 4, 2013 at 4:53 pm

BTW, i never get to watch tv on Sunday night at 10:00 PM because i have to get up at 4 the next morning. i caught red widsow on On Demand, and remained a faithful fan since my first viewing. i think the timing was all wrong – Thursday night at 9Pm would be vetter, or move the show to TNT or USA, or provide episodes on line On Demand. thank you.

elizabeth June 4, 2013 at 4:42 pm

how can ABC cancel one of the bet writtenk fnely hewn character dramas ever? the chemistry between the mother AND Shiller was obvious. Irwin looked like a crook – to the extent that i’ll probably always think of the irwin character if i ever see this guy again, ditto the father – beautiful face and mouth –

the story line and sub plots – we watched this show twice a week – we NEVEr watch shows morie than once. Pleae pleae reconsider cancelling this show. I hear they resurrect other shows – why not this one? Thank you,.

skipping bear June 3, 2013 at 6:39 am

Sheesh. This show is brilliantly done – superb cast and very well-written. It strikes me that any show that requires one to actually PAY ATTENTION and FOLLOW THE PLOT is just too much to handle for too many people. I know, let’s replace it with another mindless reality show or a least common denominator sitcom filled with brainless drivel.

anastasia June 2, 2013 at 9:19 pm

r u serious…. come on.. how many shows are going to get canceled that i watch. first 666 park avenue now this. like come. on. who cares if some people dont like it!!!!!! others do!!! not everyone if going to like the same show!!

.. ugh. not cool! wtf.!

s b May 28, 2013 at 11:35 pm

this is ridiculous!! FINALLY A SHOW WITH some intrigue, plot, suspense, true chemistry, long term story line and of course they cancel it!!! Why is it they cancel the good shows and promote the stupide senseless ones?!!! This show was HOT and I was just drooling in anticipation of the next season and the heat that was to come!!! PLEASE BRING IT BACK! Of course it had low ratings…you all started it mid season and only gave it a few shots…take some of these dumb shows off the air and put this in a good slot and give it lots of new shows!! The writers and actors are amazing!!! such depth of character and history from the start!!!

Anonymous June 2, 2013 at 1:25 am

I really loved this show. Ratings bad – maybe you asked the wrong viewers. Everyone I knew loved it. Sorry to hear its cancelled and so many really crappy shows remain.

Sonna Cain May 27, 2013 at 10:38 pm

I’m totally disgusted with ABC. They promoted Red Widow with a two hour premier and then stopped. It’s almost like they did not care about this show and wanted it to fail to promote another show. If they would have kept it at the same time every week, didn’t have repeats every other week, Red Widow would have created the viewers that were needed. The chemistry between the cast was fantastic. I’m so sad that Red Widow has been canceled. What an empty spot it has left.

Anonymous May 27, 2013 at 10:15 am

I really liked Red Widow, maybe it wasn’t watched much because it was on at 10:00 and people had to work next day, who knows, I just know I have been looking forward to the next episode and it never did come back on!

Susanne May 26, 2013 at 10:21 pm

I can`t believe you guys took the show RED WIDOW off. That was the best show ever. I been looking forword ever week for that show. ABC please put it back on. There is nothing else on TV. That was the only show i would watch. I HATE all the Reality TV shows. Please RENEW the show RED WIDOW :)

Anonymous June 1, 2013 at 4:57 pm

I totally agree. This show was very intriguing and I couldn’t wait for it to show every week. The finale had some great twists and there is certainly scope for a second season. Take away reality shows and put on some more dramas. Red widow is definitely worth a second season.