Scoundrels: Off the Schedule; Has the ABC TV Show Been Cancelled?

ScoundrelsFans of ABC’s summer drama, Scoundrels, may have noticed that the series isn’t on the schedule any longer. Has the show been cancelled?

Scoundrels revolves around the West family, a clan that’s had many run-ins with the law. Dad (David James Elliott) has been sent to prison and his wife (Virginia Madsen) is determined that she and their kids not follow him. The TV show’s cast also includes Leven Rambin, Vanessa Marano, Carlos Bernard, and Patrick Flueger (in a dual role).

The series debuted on June 20th to a disappointing 1.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.23 million viewers. In week two, viewership dropped to a 1.0 in the demo and 3.66 million viewers. The numbers got even worse in subsequent weeks. It hit a demo low 0.6 and, the finale attracted the fewest number of total viewers, just 2.73 million. Those are some terrible numbers for a major network, even for the summer months.

TV show supportOnly eight episodes of Scoundrels were produced and, to ABC’s credit, they aired them all — despite the low ratings. Unfortunately, the network has little reason to want any more. So, no, ABC has not officially cancelled Scoundrels but, it is highly unlikely that they’ll order a second season.

What do you think? Why do you think Scoundrels didn’t fare better? Is it a better show than the ratings reflect?

Canceled and renewed TV show

373 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Debra Hixson says

I was disappointed that the show was cancelled and think it would fare much better in a different rime slot.

2. jane do says

Now that is 2012 – BRING back SCOUNDRELS !!! that was the BEST show!! It was at a wrong time slot it was better than the one shown now with Christina Applegate and her baby. SINGLE people dont want to see that show it is not funny!! I am 55 years old and liked Scoundrels – the writers needed to make it so people got it and wanted to see it every week – it was hard to get at first and then you just loved it!! PLEASe bring back!!

3. Sandi says

Bring Scoundrels back, it was a different type show compared to other shows that were still on the air. Very entertaining and funny. Just when it was getting interesting, you pull it off the air.

4. jason says

I watched this show, i have to say it was good but wasn’t as good as the show it was based on (Outrageous Fortune) in New Zealand.

You all should take a look at Outrageous Fortune. It’s really well done, funny and went for 6 seasons! Especially since it looks like scoundrels isn’t coming back.

5. Kristina long says

I think scroundels was an awesome show!!!! Bring it back! I loved every single epsiode!!!!!!!!

6. Amy johnson says

I can’t believe this!! Scoundrels is fun and different. Bring it back!
    The ratings have to be wrong. The cast is so perfect. Not one episode did I see, and think cheesy. My husband and I both thought it funny and original. Don’t cancel I beg u!!!!

7. misty says

Bring this show back!!!! My husband and I looked forward to it each week! It was a show unlike any other…so nice to get away from reality tv trash, and sitcoms that aren’t funny, and dramas that are not about unrealistic law/crime!!!! BRING IT BACK!!!!

8. Jackie says

Bring back Scoundrels! It had a great premise and was totally different than any other show. I am so sick of reality TV! Where are these “ratings” coming from? There are plenty of viewers not with the Nielsen ratings that loved this show. Bring back Brothers and Sisters while you’re at it. You are not giving me much reason to continue watching ABC! More and more I am turning away from regular network television because you keep disappointing.

• TONI HENSLEY says

AGAIN I AM IN SHOCK! BOTH MY FAVORITE SHOWS FROM LAST SUMMER HAVE BEEN CANCELLEDM, THE GATES AND NOW SCOUNDRELS. WHAT RATINGS DO YOU EXPECT FOR SUMMERTIME SHOWS? I THINK I’LL JUST QUIT WATCHING ABC ALL TOGETHER, ABC DOES’T JUST SUCK, ABC SUCKS OUT LOUD!!!