Smash: Cancelled? NBC Drama Sent to Saturdays

Smash canceledSmash has been sent packing. The musical drama will finish its season on Saturday nights. While the peacock network hasn’t said that the show’s been cancelled, there’s no way they’re bringing it back for a third season.

Smash follows a cast and production team in New York as they try to mount a new Broadway musical. This season, the ensemble cast includes Debra Messing, Christian Borle, Katharine McPhee, Jack Davenport, Megan Hilty, Anjelica Huston, Leslie Odom Jr., Jeremy Jordan, Krysta Rodriguez, and Andy Mientus.

Last season, Smash was a moderate success for NBC, thanks in part to the strong lead-in support from The Voice. It averaged a 2.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 6.74 million total viewers.

This season, Smash has really suffered without the reality competition’s support. The six episodes that have aired thus far have averaged a mere 1.0 in the demo with 3.48 million.

Other than Fashion Star on Friday nights, Smash is currently NBC’s lowest-rated series.

While there’s no way NBC will be making a third season, there is positivenews. NBC appears to be commited to letting the remaining 11 episodes air. Smash will start running on Saturday nights on April 6th, at 9pm.

What do you think? Are you sad about Smash’s fate? Do you like the show this season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

198 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Vic says

What I don’t understand is why don’t they air it on one of their other networks (like Bravo, USA, or Trio) instead of cancelling it?

2. Anonymous says

One of the only shows I will ever watch please don’t cancel it? It has gret musical numbers and a good plot!!!

3. Donna R says

Smash was successful when Broadway actors could watch it Monday nites, when Broadway was dark. Moving the show when it could not be supported by them was a hardship. This show had Broadway’s finest performing in it, but it appealed to the artistic audience more so than the sports fans. It was a quality performance which I loved.

4. Marcie says

I am so sad to see this show end I really enjoy it and have not missed an episode. I really hope NBC has a change of heart we need a show like this!!!!!!!!!!!!!

5. LeaAnn says

PLEASE DON’T CANCEL. Why do they cancel all of the good shows??? I love this show. The music and acting is great.

6. says

I too am sorry to see this show cancelled. I’m tired of murders and politics on tv. Enjoy the talent these actors have. I like singing and dancing but not prorams like the Voice or America’s Got Talent or others like that.I have been watching “Smash” since the pilot.

7. Lisa Kizer says

What is wrong with NBC? Why would you cancel a show that celebrates the performing arts? If NBC had just stuck to the original tag for the show, what does it take to bring a musical to broadway, you would have had a hit on your hands. I can see the network exec.’s now, scheming as to what they needed to ‘add’ to hook an audience, instead of cultivating and growing the one they had. Could have really been something special. Boo on you NBC.

8. says

Our family has really enjoyed watching Smash. We have been following the show since the Pilot and would love to see where it can go. Please reconsider letting this show go. We enjoy a show that is not a contest of voters or grotesque in nature. this is a fun show with a lot of opportunity to still grow…

9. says

Every time a TV show only appeals to a certain viewer it gets cancelled. this show is terrific ,even though there are not any murders or violence acts. Too bad the network can not deal with a low ratings show

10. Karen says

If i have to
    Choose between qvc or smash, smash wins hands down. I
    Have been a fan of debra messing since will and grace. I am an hour from new york but why leave my living room when the artistic talent on smash
    Is top drawer. Reality tv is sad, not entertaining and mostly trash. Let’s trade trash for SMASH!

11. Chelsie and Rachel says

We are ssssssssosooooooooooooooo devastated that smash is getting canceled! It is such a wonderful show with amazing music and actors! If they cancel it we will die!