Swingtown: Bravo Picks Ups CBS Drama; Good News for Season Two?

SwingtownCable channel Bravo has purchased the exclusive rights to air CBS’ summer drama, Swingtown. Does this mean there will be a second season?

Swingtown debuted on Thursday, June 5, 2008 on CBS. The series was executive produced by show creator Mike Kelley and Jericho’s Carol Barbee. Set in the summer of 1976, Swingtown follows three families as they explore new freedoms and shifting moral values in Chicago suburbia. The series stars veterans of cancelled shows like Molly Parker (Six Feet Under), Grant Show (Melrose Place), Lana Parrilla (Spin City), Josh Hopkins (Pepper Dennis), Miriam Shor (Big Day), and Shanna Collins (Wildfire).

CBS’ President of Entertainment, Nina Tassler, gave the drama a greenlight in May 2007 after HBO had passed on the project. It was expected to air during the regular 2007-08 season but CBS decided to delay the series until Summer, typically a time used to burn off less desirable programming. Critical and viewer reception for Swingtown was mixed and the pilot debuted to fewer than 8.6 million viewers and a 2.5/7 rating/share in the 18-49 demographic. The ratings for subsequent episodes dropped from there.

After seven episodes, CBS moved Swingtown to Friday nights and gave Flashpoint its place on Thursdays. In its new timeslot, the viewership plunged to a low of 2.82 million.

Despite the disappointing numbers, Swingtown has attracted media interest and a devoted group of viewers. The series also still must have some supporters at CBS because the network execs opted to air all 13 episodes rather than pull it.

Should Swingtown have been renewed?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Though the series’ ratings are too low to warrant a season two renewal on the network, the CBS studio tried to find another home for Swingtown. They focused their efforts on cable channels which aren’t under strict FCC regulations. On cable, the writers could presumably take the show’s risque exploits even further and possibly attract additional media attention. Unfortunately, there’s been no takers.

Bravo recently made a deal for the cable rights to air Swingtown’s first season in the next few months. The cable station has made it clear that they are merely purchasing the pre-existing 13 episodes and have no intention of producing a second season. The deal effectively closes the door on the series’ future. With Bravo having the air rights for the first season, another cable channel would have little reason to produce season two.

On a positive note, the first (and only) season of Swingtown will be released on DVD in December. With any luck, the executive producers will use this opportunity to answer outstanding questions and to tell us what might have happened if the series had continued. Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

terri September 20, 2009 at 11:59 am

We want swing town back.

Drew September 20, 2009 at 9:02 am

Swingtown was outstanding!!! Not only was season one filled with an excellent story line; the cast was amazing and interesting to watch. It wasn’t the same old drama that we see everyday. I think that it is just as good as Mad Men: if not BETTER!!! Please let there be a second season. Whoever was doing the PR on the show slacked because I had never heard of it until I walked past it in a movie store. I think FX should buy it because its better than Nip Tuck and Rescue me; plus its very tasteful. Do not leave us hanging*****

Paula September 19, 2009 at 5:07 pm

Ablsolutely love Swingtown! My husband was intimidated by the thought of it, needless to say, one of my favorites. Guess you have to be comfortable with yourself to appreciate what the writers were trying to do. Wake up America! It happened, let those of us who didn’t, try it in the privacy of our homes. “Swingtown, Take Me Away!”

Kathy September 18, 2009 at 5:48 pm

I LOVED this show! Can’t believe they aren’t bringing it back. 1976 – two years after high school graduation – boy could I relate to this one. “It was the best of times – it was the worst of times” – It was the really cool times! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK!

COLETTE HEARON September 18, 2009 at 10:02 am

OMG!!!! THIS WAS MY FAVORITE SHOW, I HAVE BEEN WATING ALL YEAR WONDERING WHAT WAS GONNA HAPPEN AND YOU JUST CANCEL IT.. PLEASE BRING IT BACK FOR ONE MORE SEASON AND THEN END IT IF THATS WHAT IS NEEDED, DONT LEAVE US HANGING…..

Lisa September 15, 2009 at 9:46 am

I STILL miss Swingtown. It was the only show in years that I never missed. I can’t believe CBS didn’t give it a chance!

Angie September 13, 2009 at 8:51 pm

This show was just as good as Grey’s Anatomy and Desperate Housewives, I can’t believe they cancelled it! I would really like to see a season 2!!!

Kate September 13, 2009 at 6:37 am

Swingtown was amazing, I have been staying up late every Friday night to watch it. Please please please do a second season it can’t all be left hanging in the air.

Alvin September 12, 2009 at 10:22 pm

I Loved the first season of Swingtown, please bring it back,bring it back……..

Kelly September 11, 2009 at 12:38 pm

I absolutley loved SwingTown. BRING IT BACK! I very much miss it.

carlton September 8, 2009 at 10:42 am

bring it back we loved swing town

nina September 6, 2009 at 12:23 am

bring swingtown back!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Susan September 5, 2009 at 4:01 am

Ditto what Britteny said. Just found it on Netflix and am SOOOOO bummed to find out there is no Season 2!!! Come on!!

Brittney September 3, 2009 at 1:18 am

I just found Swingtown on Netflix and I absolutely fell in love. I haven’t been on the edge of my seat wanting more in a LONG time. I really wish someone would reconsider. Like someone said before, its just developing. At least tell us what “happens” next!!! I’m dying to know!

laurie September 2, 2009 at 10:33 pm

i loved this show, please bring it back, don’t leave us hanging from the last scene, hotel room…….