The Bridge: New CBS Police Drama; Cancel or Keep It?

The BridgeCBS recently unveiled a new show called The Bridge. Never heard of it? You’re not alone and you just know that doesn’t bode well for the TV show’s future.

The Bridge revolves around a tough and dedicated cop who’s voted to become the police union’s leader. Officer Frank Leo (Aaron Douglas) ends up fighting crime on the streets while also battling corruption on the force. The series features Douglas, Frank Cassini, Michael Murphy, Ona Grauer, Paul Popowich, and Theresa Joy.

The TV show debuted on Saturday night with two episodes. Per the overnights, the first episode attracted an invisible 0.5 rating in the 18-49 demographic and just 2.98 million viewers. It was easily beaten by repeats of Cops and America’s Funniest Home Videos.

What do you think of The Bridge?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The second episode of The Bridge drew a 0.5 rating in the demo and increased to a still meager 3.51 million viewers. It was trounced by America’s Most Wanted but did beat a repeat of ABC’s struggling Scoundrels.

You know a series is in trouble when, after just a few episodes, it’s sent to a timeslot on little-watched Saturday nights. When a show debuts on Saturday nights during the summer, you can just tell the network has no faith in it and is just burning off the episodes.

TV show supportThe Bridge comes from Canada’s CTV, in a similar arrangement as Flashpoint. It’s much cheaper for CBS than the scripted programming that the network commissions itself. Still, these numbers are horrible. CTV has already ordered a second season but there’s essentially no incentive for CBS to pick it up with ratings like these.

CBS has 11 more episodes of The Bridge. As currently scheduled, they’ll run on Saturday nights through September. With ratings like these, that seems highly unlikely to happen.

What do you think? Had you even heard of it? If so, is The Bridge worth watching? Would you cancel or keep it?

Odie the police show addict April 22, 2011 at 5:22 pm

I’m still mourning the loss of this G R E A T show. I don’t get it. It was well done and I looked forward to it every week.
All of a sudden, POOF it’s gone???
I’m still hopeful however…

Martin January 16, 2011 at 10:46 pm

A great TV Drama! Give it a good slot and it’ll sell itself.

pepe November 19, 2010 at 8:28 pm

bring the damn show back dammit

Nancy. Brittain October 8, 2010 at 4:34 pm

Loved this show,very disappointed that I can no longer get it!!!

Brian Vollmer September 3, 2010 at 5:21 pm

This was the best cop show ever! Leave it to CBS to f**k it up. 10 times better than Law & Order. Seems to me like an inside assassination job to me. Ive never felt so strongly about a show before to actually write to complain. It was on wrong day & wrong time. Bring back the Bridge.Brian & Lynda Vollmer.

candy August 28, 2010 at 8:41 am

I saw one show and was hooked. Please bring it back, it was the only decent thing on television on Saturday night. I saved it on the DVR and would love to see more. The cast was believable, I too thought of Hill Street Blues, or NYPD blue and thought, YES!!!

charles murray August 23, 2010 at 8:58 am

i just got into” the bridge” and i thought it is great series,i would classify it in the same catagory as “third watch which was a great police series.keep it on!

dan deforest August 17, 2010 at 8:57 am

the best cop show since nypd blue! give it a chance in week day prime time in the fall you’ll see great numbers.

APellerin August 13, 2010 at 9:03 am

I love this show I hope they don’t cancel it!!!!

Anonymous August 10, 2010 at 8:43 am

Best show I’ve seen in a long time!! I thought I was watching the start of another “Hill Street Blues”

Pam & Tim Hurley August 8, 2010 at 7:11 pm

My husband and I LOVE this show. We have had trouble remembering it because it doesn’t get advertised. I’ve been trying to find out when it airs so I can Ti-Vo it. Unfortunately, to give it a Sat. night slot in the summer is not fair. Good show, great. realistic story line. We watch most of the cop/lawyer shows and this one has a refreshing take on so many of the other “canned” scripts. PLEASE KEEP THIS SHOW!!!!

theghost August 7, 2010 at 10:28 pm

Love the show. How can a good show debut on Sat nite?