The Finder: Going on Hiatus, Cancelled?

Finder canceled hiatusThis evening, FOX released some new changes to their schedule that will take effect in the next couple weeks. One of the changes involves The Finder leaving the schedule. Will it be back, get a second season, or has the show actually been cancelled?

A spin-off of Bones, The Finder debuted on January 12th to a 1.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 5.5 million total viewers. It was in fourth place for the timeslot and lost 29% of the Bones lead-in audience. It was hardly a great start for the new show.

In week two, with powerhouse American Idol as a lead-in, The Finder drew a 2.2 in the demo with 6.58 million. While that was a nice improvement over the first week’s numbers, the show actually lost a whopping 61% of the lead-in’s demo.

In week three, The Finder rose to a 2.8 in the demo and 8.44 million, losing 49% of the lead-in’s demo. For the last three weeks, The Finder’s ratings have dropped lower each week. Last Thursday’s episode hit a 2.0 with 6.18 million, losing 56% of the Idol demo.

While each show is ultimately judged on its own ratings, FOX can not be pleased that Idol is delivering a huge number of viewers and more than half of them are making a conscious decision to turn the channel. It’s become clear, especially based on the most recent numbers, that The Finder would almost certainly tank without having a big lead-in. They’ve given the series the best possible lead-in they have and it just doesn’t measure up. Touch will take over the coveted spot once Finder is gone.

The Finder is set to leave the schedule in two weeks, on March 8th. At that point, there will be five unaired episodes remaining and FOX has noted that the show will return later in the season. While that may be true, it looks highly unlikely that the network will want to invest in a second season.

But, what do you think? Should The Finder be renewed for season two or should FOX just cancel it? Why do you think more people aren’t watching?

Gina October 13, 2012 at 3:13 pm

please bring it back, me and my sister got together to watch it every week and was looking forward to a new season.

james naylor October 9, 2012 at 7:05 pm

my wilfe an I its our favorite show

Lisa marie October 7, 2012 at 9:18 pm

Although Mr. Duncun died for which I am very sad, I absolutely LOVE The Finder show!! I was looking foward to season two to find out what happens. The show left on a cliffhanger and what a pain in the ass that is when the company cancels a show. I really hope they can come up with a viable solution to Mr. Duncan’s passing. Walter is a great character and looked foward to seeing him “find” the next solution. Please really consider bringing back the show since you have a definite fan here. Thank you.

lori October 4, 2012 at 5:20 am

I loved the finder. Hope it will get another chance

Sandy September 30, 2012 at 8:15 pm

I really enjoy a show with a new spin. It is unique to all the other cop/murder shows or reality shows. Please keep it on the air as their are so few good shows out today.

Anonymous September 25, 2012 at 4:54 am

i loved this show and i was looking forward to the new series we watched it every time it was on please bring it back

angel September 17, 2012 at 9:00 pm

Love the finder……..Please don’t take it away.

Janis Curry September 22, 2012 at 4:25 pm

I will so miss the finder please keep it such a quirky show and great characters never missed it

M. A. Fuller September 12, 2012 at 8:27 pm

KEEP IT! Just replace MCDuncan, RIP, with another interesting character….let it stand for a while…it was hard to find, most of the time, pre-empted, etc. HATE THAT…and it dooms a good solid show…..RENEW< PLEASE!!!!!!!!

Darlene September 8, 2012 at 9:34 am

I really hope The Finder continues. I have had a difficult time finding complete episodes that weren’t pre – empted in part by a full time advertisement and then when it finally came on it ended at the normal time before I could view the entire episode. I still have three episodes on hold that I am waiting for re-runs it hopes of viewing the entire episodes. So wrong for the series to be taken off. And I hope they can find out why they have pre-empted it with an advertisement. Sort of takes a person a way from helping with the statistics.

Denise September 6, 2012 at 2:59 pm

Keep it going love the show! Hate when I find a show I like and it gets canceled. Love Duncan and he will be truely missed by me. Loved him in the Green Mile. But just like life goes on!, it is also known the show must go on!I am sure the writers can write around this tragic death of a main character . I know I will miss his character and would hate to see him replaced unless they can find someone who could possibly carry the role. Please don’t end the show it is too awesome! Denise

Anonymous September 5, 2012 at 3:03 pm

need to keep it, great show with great cast RIP Michael Clarke Duncan

Marla Sparks September 5, 2012 at 1:17 pm

We love this show and are disappointed it won’t be returning.

Anonymous September 5, 2012 at 3:30 am

keep it keep it keep it keep it keep it I watch this show one of only a handful and enjoy it greeatly keep it keep it keep it

Bobbie Bradley September 5, 2012 at 1:05 am

PLEASE BRING “THE FINDER” BACK!!! Thanks!

PAM September 4, 2012 at 8:39 pm

I loved this show and set it to record each episode . had trouble finding the show each week because i dont watch shows like american idol. maybe that was the problem.i loved the characters and the mystery without all the violence most of the shows have. i really hope you are able to bring it back.