The Martha Stewart Show: Cancelled, No Season Eight

martha stewart show  canceledEven Martha would agree that this latest news isn’t “a good thing.” The Martha Stewart Show has been cancelled after seven seasons on the air.

Hallmark Channel has opted not to renew the daytime show due to high production costs and low ratings. Martha averages only about 225,000 viewers.

On the positive side, The Martha Stewart Show will remain in production and new episodes will continue through April. Stewart and her staff are planning a lavish series finale which will air in May. Reruns will continue to air for the remainder of the season, through the summer months.

Distributed by NBC Universal Domestic Television, The Martha Stewart Show debuted in first-run syndication on September 11, 2005. The series moved to Hallmark in the fall of 2010 as part of an overall deal that included a commitment from Martha Stewart Living Omnimedia (MSLO) to produce original new series and specials to compliment Martha and the rest of the cable channel’s lineup.

Hallmark initially scheduled an eight-hour block of Stewart programming but the ratings were poor so it was quickly scaled back to five hours.

The cancellation news was first reported by the NY Post. In response, MSLO’s Lisa Gersh told employees via email that the company will continue to do business with Hallmark, “we are currently exploring programming concepts for Martha Stewart and other MSLO brands beyond this fall.”

At December’s UBS investor conference, Gersh said, “Our expensive studio lease is expiring next year, and we will either bring television in-house or find lower cost space, which will significantly reduce our TV operating margins.”

The fate of Hallmark’s other MSLO-produced shows is still up in the air — including Emeril’s Table, hosted by Emeril Lagasse.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Stewart’s show has been cancelled? Did you follow it to Hallmark?

Patricia October 1, 2012 at 10:04 am

I’m shocked! I’ve watched Martha for as long as she has been on anywhere. Hallmark made a bad decision. If this new “Home and Family” is a replacement, someone(s) at Hallmark need their heads examined! Bad, Sad, Uggh! “Marie” is starting off well.

Perhaps this whole unfortunate event will give Martha another new beginning. (I do agree with other comments that the earlier shows from Turkey Hill were very good. I loved seeing her homes, and getting a peak into her lifestyle. Also enjoyed the travel segments.)

Hang in there Martha! Love you dearly! (even husband watched the shows with me !)

sharon October 1, 2012 at 8:33 am

I am sooooo disappointed that Martha Stewart has been cancelled. The show was like a breath of fresh air..Marie Osmond can not hold a candle to the class of Martha Stewart!! Please reconsider…or…maybe another network will pick up the show. Martha always taught you something while this show coming on -Home & Family – is a joke!! Really ridiculous!! Hallmark offers some great movies, but you dropped the ball by cancelling the Martha Stewart Show!!

jan September 30, 2012 at 5:35 pm

I can not believe you took off the Martha Stewart Show – she always had lots of great ideas and all my friends looked forward to seeing the show – what a waste – some of the stuff on TV is terrible

katarina September 30, 2012 at 3:53 pm

I am so sorry to not find the Martha Stewart on Hallmark channel now. It is a great loss. There is nothing else on that channel that is of interest to me. I love the MS show, Emeril, and Lucinda Quinn.
I don’t understand who could think these weren’t great shows.

Diane September 30, 2012 at 2:20 pm

Please reconsider, Hallmark. What on earth are you thinking. You can lose the audience, but please bring back Martha. I will never watch your network again.

Sherri Stewart September 29, 2012 at 7:10 am

I am so upset to find out that The Martha Stewart Show has NOT be renewed !!!!!! What are you people thinking!!!!! Martha’s was one of the few shows that taught you something. I can hardley believe that Little House, Frazier, Golden Girls & I love Lucy brought in more viewers than Martha. All the shows mentioned above will never have any NEW shows because most of the actors have passed away. I guess that production costs WOULD be higher when you actually produce a show, instead of just airing already “produced” shows! The Hallmark Channel should be renamed……
The Rerun Channel!!
I have seen all the above mentioned shows, mainly when they were new on network TV, I have watched many of the reruns on your channel while waiting for Martha’s show to come on. I now have NO reason to ever watch The Hallmark Channel ever again.
One thing all of Martha’s followers know is that in the face of adversity, Martha ALWAYS bounces back to things better than before!!

Faye Sarren September 27, 2012 at 12:54 pm

I hope Hallmark listens. Martha is one in a million. So many things she teaches. I love her animals.

Anonymous September 26, 2012 at 6:16 am

If production costs are the issue, maybe Martha could do a half hour show. I hope that at least you will consider doing some specials with her during the holidays.

Debbie Walker September 25, 2012 at 8:50 am

I am very saddened by Martha Stewart not being on. I have watched the Hallmark channel all day everyday because I love all the shows. Emeril’s Table and Lucinda Quinn and The Pet Keeper. These were my favorite shows. I don’t think Marie Osmond can be a good replacement. I am not into just talk shows. I learned a lot from all these other shows. Please bring back all the Martha shows.

Mary Bartz September 25, 2012 at 7:01 am

For the most part I don’t watch the hallmark channel any longer since Martha Stewart’s show is gone. I am VERY disappointed and have no interest in watching Marie Osmond and reruns of the Waltons or Little House on the Prairie ad infinitum. I had a four day weekend from work and had Hallmark on only once to watch Lucinda Quinn because I’ve seen most of her shows too! A VERY bad idea Hallmark!!

Carmen Tourangeau September 24, 2012 at 9:00 pm

I will really miss the Martha Stewart Show. One of the best shows out there. I agree, I dont want to watch their new line up. Maybe Hallmark will reconsider.

Susan Hidalgo September 24, 2012 at 4:47 am

I am so sad to not have my Martha fix and no one wants to watch Marie Osmond WHAT are you thinking Hallmark

Carol Noyes September 21, 2012 at 2:40 pm

SO DISAPPOINTED!!!!!! Just found out about the cancellation of Martha. Been waiting all summer for the return of the show. Halmark I will not watch your channel again .

Hawk Lessard September 20, 2012 at 11:48 am

I have watched martha for many years ane I am not happy that she has been taken from us. As someone who is artistic herself I enjoyed watching much of what she has to offer the world. Even though this last year was not up to her usual wonderful creative self I still enjoyed sitting down to watch her every day. Even though I am sad she is not going to be on the air anymore with your company I hope for her that she will enjoy sum much needed time off and will come back to us on another channel very soon. You are much loved Martha by many people.

Harriett Prine September 20, 2012 at 7:23 am

I think that Hallmark is making a huge mistake cancelling Martha Stewart’s show. I was looking forward to Marie’s show but never dreamed they would cancel the best show that Hallmark had going. Martha is a great teacher and a wonderful example for us all. It is a sad day for me.