The Philanthropist: NBC Drama Officially Cancelled

The Philanthropist TV showNBC’s not being very charitable to fans of their summer series, The Philanthropist. The feel-good drama has been cancelled.

The Philanthropist revolves around Teddy Rist (James Purefoy), a once-selfish billionaire who decides to channel his money and power to help those in need. The series also features the talents of Jesse L. Martin, Neve Campbell, Michael Kenneth William, Lindy Booth, Krista Allen, and James Albrecht.

The Philanthropist TV showFor a summer show, the drama did pretty well in the ratings initially. But, as the weeks wore on, the numbers fell off. NBC stuck with it and ran all eight episodes, with the last one airing on August 12th. Though it looked unlikely that the show would be renewed, many viewers have been holding out hope. The network didn’t make an announcement about the show’s fate but they rarely do.

Now, an upcoming DVD release from Universal Studios Home Entertainment has put the chances of the series returning to rest. They’ve announced the upcoming release of The Philanthropist: The Complete Series. The two-disc set will be available on January 5th and will include all eight episodes but unfortunately won’t have any extras.

What do you think? Are you sorry that the show is officially over? Any storylines you would like to have seen?

Canceled and renewed TV show

121 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. s16s says

I live in Dubai, so things get to us a little later over here! I JUST watched the first episode of The Philanthropist and thoroughly enjoyed it. I thought I’d check online to see which season was playing in the States now and was GUTTED to discover that yet another great and ORIGINAL show had been canned!! I don’t want to watch any more now because I know I won’t get to see more after ths season. Honestly, NBC…. shame on you….. again.

2. says

I totally agree! Especially now that only reruns are on. They could at least put on the reruns of The Philanthropist and this way they will see all those who watch them again.

3. Pam says

Do we need anymore proof of our dumbing down? Apparently people would rather watch “Reality TV” as opposed to real acting, travel, scenery, suspense, and paying it forward with good acts. I am very disappointed that “The Philanthropist” is cancelled and there is only drivel on TV when you really just want to take a break, sit down and be entertained. What a shame! The only control we have as consumers is to not support or watch the stations that make these kind of moves.

4. Shannon says

I was so hoping to see a new season of “The Philanthropist”! It was a great summer series, and I had hoped for it to continue – we in my family religiously watched every episode. We are very dissapointed, and a bit put out with the network to say the least!

5. Chad says

Someone tell me why NBC always cancels the best shows on TV. It makes me mad that all of my favorite shows get cancelled because NBC is stupid.

6. shongan says

they never said what hapend to he’s son only that they blamed each other for he’s death so it can’t have been an illness most have been an accident ore something else.

7. the Deester says

Another brilliant, refreshing show has bit the dust. What’s up with NBC?! I’m still trying to get over ‘Kings’ being canned. I’m still not over the cancellation of ‘Book of Daniel’! I’ve seen some of NBC’s planned programming, and all I can say is I’m so glad that summer is coming. I’ll be outside on the patio listening to music with a bbq going on.

8. sung says

I loved the show b/c it was feel good. Work is tough and I enjoyed going home and watching a show that reminds me of humanity and not all the destruction and crap on the news. Bring it back and even better!!!!!

9. Eric Ford says

This is sick. Like others who’m have commented here, this show had meaning. The most memorable episode comes to mind where Teddy hosted a fundaraising dinner with his elite friends where they only ate a small bowl of rice, and he informed his friends that this is what the majority of the world lives on. We need a good show that opens our eyes to the world’s suffering because many of us forget that we could have been born in the shoes of those who are suffering. The cancelling of this show was a huge mistakea, and it should of been given a chance during the fall TV season during the heart of prime time.

10. says

My wife and I fell in love with this show and would love to see it come back. I think the story lines were well drawn out and the scenes very believable. Please give the show another shot this fall.

11. says

I have waited months in hopes that NBC would wise up and reinstate this wonderful show. It had such meaning, beautiful locations, and hardly an episode aired that didn’t make our family feel grateful for our lives as they are. Popular TV has moved on its ridiculous reality-themed shows that families can’t enjoy quality time watching. Dedicated viewers of great shows are again being dumped to make room for more trash. Hope some smart network will take up THE PHILANTHROPIST, like they did with Medium, and similarly co-shared Friday Night Lights.

12. Jason says

Simply a great show. But since it didn’t spoon feed mindless conflict of (made up) daily drama of vapid, lobotomized teens it was obviously doomed to condemnation by the commercial-watching crowd. It’s what TV is for, The Vast Wasteland.

13. says

When the show was cancelled, my husband and I couldn’t believe it. We were so bummed. However, NBC has cancelled some shows that were bad but The Philanthropist was not like the rest. It was the type of show that one could feel good about after watching it. Unlike so many shows on TV, The Philanthropist was eye catching with James Purefoy and the locations were amazing. As a person that travels, I really appreciated the places Teddy jetted off to. It was the type of show that allowed me, as a woman, to fantasize about exotic places to go and be of assistance to those who need help. It was the type of show that gave me vision for my future. I pray it will return. I can only guess that the reason it had sinking ratings in July of 2009 was because it lacked sleezy content that seems to be so exciting to brainless individuals.

14. Kyle Duncan says

I first noticed James Purefoy’s talent in the HBO drama “Rome” where he did a smashing job as a self-centered but likeable Marc Antony. Then that great show was cancelled. Then Purefoy finds his “star vehicle” in the excellent show “The Philanthropist.”

As a UCLA grad, I went to school with many of the higher ups at NBC, and have this to say: Grow a pair, boys and girls, and stop defaulting to the lowest common denominator (i.e. the reality show crowd)!

I can only imagine the coin it took to produce this show, with its multiple exotic locales. Which, of course, is one of the reasons it was such a winning show.

Purefoy will be back. Not to mention the rest of the excellent cast, including the lovely Neve Campbell.

More’s the pity.