The Waltons: Geico Commercial Asks Rhetorical Question About Classic TV Family

Geico guy Mike McGloneThe Waltons ran for nine seasons on CBS and was a cornerstone of the network’s Thursday night line-up for the entire run. Three made-for-TV movies aired soon after the series finished and then, three reunion movies followed 10-15 years later.

While the show is popular in syndication, most TV viewers today haven’t seen a single episode of the show or really know what it’s about. However, most do recognize the iconic scene that ended each episode; a darkened farmhouse with the voices of the family members pleasantly saying goodnight to one another.

The Geico insurance company is having a bit of fun with that part of The Waltons and are using it as the focus of one of their new “Rhetorical Questions” commercials. In the spot, actor Mike McGlone (The Brothers McMullen) asks the immortal question, “Did The Waltons take way too long to say goodnight?”

Take a look. (Sorry the quality’s not better.)

What do you think? Do most people understand the TV show reference? Does that matter for the commerical to still be funny?

Canceled and renewed TV show

37 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. Walton Fan says

Sorry to bust every ones bubble, but the whole ‘Good Night’ bit was taken from an actual episode ending. I have just finished re-watching seasons 1 through 9, and remember this ending very well. Grandpa wasn’t drunk either!

2. Diego Point says

It’s Will Geer who played Zeb Walton. Although, it does sound as if the has sampled some of the Col. Baldwin’s “recipe”.

3. Ali says

the voice to me sounds like that black Saturday Night Live comic Garrett Morrisson (not sure about the last name) He did a voice over on The Family Guy that was hilarious
    and sounds just like the commercial for Geico!

4. gso-chris says

to me, it sounds like Bill Cosby, back in the day. I can’t place the segment where BC sounds like that, but it just feels like that. I remember “The Waltons” and the good-night segment. I don’t remember what Grandpa sounded like, but the soundbite in the commercial doesn’t seem to fit with the rest of the cast tone of voice.

• mermaid says

No… you have to listen to that distinctive voice next time the commerical comes on TV. It is definitely RAY CHARLES !!

5. Spuddy98 says

I agree that grandpa sounds drunk!! Maybe he just stroked out before the commercial! Wish I had that kind of family – mine is scattered across the east coast – new york state, PA, FL, AR too.!!

6. larry cole says

That is such a dumb commercial, I change channels every time I see it, and the one “is too tall Jones too tall.

7. faine says

“I think it sounds like Red Foxx.”

Yes!! I’ve been trying to place the voice, and I think you’re exactly right.

8. airmac49 says

I think it sounds like Red Foxx. He had a sitcom in the seventies for several years. In all of that, I don’t doubt there’s at least one “Goodnight Everybody” since he was always trying to chase people off. It could have been cut & pasted in.