V: ABC Cutting Season Two Episode Order; Doomed?

VWe recently reported that ABC had decided to hold the second season premiere of V until January 4, 2011. It had looked like the network would bring it back in November but fans of the series will have to wait until next year, nearly seven months since the last original episode.

Now comes word that the network is cutting the episode order from 13 to 10 installments. Season two of V will air on Tuesdays at 9pm, taking the place of the Dancing with the Stars result show. It’s lead-in will be the compatible No Ordinary Family.

If V had returned in November, ABC would have needed at least 13 episodes to fill the timeslot until the next cycle of DWTS begins on March 29th. Because it won’t be returning until January 4th, and there are only 12 Tuesdays until March 30th, ABC doesn’t need as many episodes. The network is reportedly already planning a pair of preemptions.

The cast and crew are still filming so the scripts will be adapted to bring the season to a close after 10 episodes.

How does this bode for V’s prospects of a third season? Not very well but then, the show has always had an uphill battle ahead of it.

V was barely renewed last May because of low ratings and last season’s finale brought in just a 2.1 rating in the all-important 18-49 demographic. It’s a science-fiction serial drama with lots of ongoing storylines so V is unfortunately not very conducive to new viewers to start watching. Even if everyone who watched the season finale returns to watch season two, V will be one of the lowest rated shows on the network. If it were on the schedule right now, it would only be beating The Whole Truth, a ratings disaster.

What do you think? Do you think the series will last long enough to see a third season or is it sure to be cancelled? What would you do to get the TV show some new viewers? Is it possible?

Anonymous December 18, 2010 at 9:39 pm

I think V is for Vapid. To tell you the truth, the plot line for this series becomes more moronic with every episode. ABC should have kept Defying Gravity…at least it was improving as it progressed.

Anonymous December 13, 2010 at 1:28 am

Show Morena Baccarin naked! That should generate enough of a furor that people will start watching again.

Jamie December 1, 2010 at 7:56 am

I would like “V” to go into a thrid season! If not I would like them to sell the rights to SyFy channel so the might get it going! Why not put it there that’s where it should be they might get more viewers! I tune in cause I remember the 80’s tv episodes, and that and star wars got me hooked into scifi!

DCR November 22, 2010 at 7:13 pm

If on the show “V”, they would finally start eating people, maybe more people would watch.

Smitty November 18, 2010 at 6:50 pm

The problem with the rotten ratings is that people like myself looked forward to this vehicle as being a mini-series with a CONCLUSION! Earth is invaded, kill the enemy, live happily ever after. We don’t want a soap opera. What grips those who watch and contribute to high ratings are the climactic endings preceded by the convergence of great story lines. They started with this but lost it. If ABC puts this back on with the hopes of continuing the series indefinitely, forget it.

Mysterwright November 17, 2010 at 7:33 pm

ABC probably wants to dump this show, like it has been all real winner programming (Ugly Betty, Pushing Daisies, George Lopez Show, etc.) this last decade because its scared of its own success. When a show like this gets people interested, or has built in interest, the powers that be don’t mind but the assistant bosses get a stick up their ass feeling threatened and guilty about knowing they don’t rightfully deserve their job. This network should be run by the rock stars, not Karen Carpenter fans or mall whores attempting to keep kids unknowing of what happened after Lords of Dogtown ended. Here’s the scoop kids: your mom shot JR Ewing. Not Sue Ellen, her sister Kristin. You call yourself She-Ra, right? Stab ‘em, Buffy! American Beauty thought you knew.

Dan November 16, 2010 at 10:04 am

Probably because of that stupid boy who likes to hump a lizard and never listens to his FBI mother. I hate that character, and I hate that actor. Its going to drive the show into an asteroid belt. If it has already arrived at the edges. Jettison the looser but keep Morena skinny dipping as Anna. I was not a fan of the 80’s version so I do not know how the humans got rid of all those reptiles from outer space but it ould be nice to see the tale told again in 2011. I would rather watch this than the other remake Hawaii fag oh or any Jerry Bruckhiemer trash.

Anonymous November 16, 2010 at 3:29 am

Why don’t the networks just do some mini series’s so we can get an ending to the shows. I am sick and tired of watching shows for a season or two, have the networks cancel them and not get an ending. I am going to quit watching new shows all togher.

Ski November 14, 2010 at 2:34 pm

Scifi shows are always hard to keep BSG had the same problems. I look forward to is starting in Jan. Please ABC keep it running

Leona M November 10, 2010 at 7:19 pm

Enjoyed V back in the day, LOVE IT now can not wait until Jan 2011.

Jerlie November 10, 2010 at 8:13 am

I really love the show and I watched it when it came on in the eighties. I was really looking forward to seeing it on last night and very disappointed when it did not come on. I will be watching for it in January.

Ron Swenson November 8, 2010 at 9:02 pm

I’m really disappointed with the decision to pull the plug on “V”, but it doesn’t come as a surprise, since most syfy dramas never tend to last more than one season. Some of us remember that this series of the same name made a short run back in the 80’s, but that was awful compared to this version. Perhaps if it was aired in a different time slot and night, it would do better. How did “Lost” last so long?

Jimmy Hooker November 8, 2010 at 10:26 am

ABC; How Stupid Can You Be? Do you always have to do everything you can to kill a winner? There are only two shows on your network I’m addicted to. V & Castle. Are you going to kill Castle too?

michael conway November 5, 2010 at 3:40 am

dear abc i live in great britain and have seen all season 1 i think this is a graet si fi show i love it and so do a lot of my friends that i recomended please dont axe this great show ,i think that a little more time and you will have a show as big as star trek on you hands listen to the fans please there are millions who would like to see this get it out there more . its got to be one of the best programs abc have done for a long time , im lookingnforward to the next series, like i said listen to your fans and keep it going, its on chanel one here at the moment i think it would do great on chanel 5. many thanks for listening to me your v fan mike.

EntropyAccelerator November 4, 2010 at 10:24 pm

I really liked this show! I watched it on hulu and liked it so much I bought it on Amazon. Now I feel like a chump. No season 2? Wait till Jan, maybe we’ll see??? Is ABC for real? They are just going to drop us like this? What stupid, short-sighted, small-minded, unimaginative network executive decided to do this?

If ABC doesn’t make good on its promise to bring back V in Jan, I’m finished with this network and everything that comes out of it, for good.

LennyG December 20, 2010 at 10:16 pm

I felt the same when I heard that news. After pondering this it seems the most reasonable explanation is that to like V requires some thought, attention and a 3 digit IQ.
I hope that will serve to clarify the issue.