Vegas

CBS TV series VegasNetwork: CBS
Episodes: 21 (hour)
Seasons: One

TV show dates: September 25, 2012 — May 10, 2013
Series status: Cancelled

Performers include: Dennis Quaid, Michael Chiklis, Carrie-Anne Moss, Jason O’Mara, and Taylor Handley.

TV show description:
This TV series is based on the true story of former Las Vegas Sheriff Ralph Lamb (Dennis Quaid), a fourth-generation rancher tasked with bringing order to Las Vegas in the 1960s. It’s a gambling and entertainment mecca that’s emerging from the tumbleweeds.

Ralph Lamb wants to be left in peace to run his ranch, but Las Vegas is now swelling with outsiders and corruption which are intruding on his simple life. Recalling Lamb’s command as a military police officer during World War II, the Mayor appeals to his sense of duty to look into a murder of a casino worker.

This begins Lamb’s clash with Vincent Savino (Michael Chiklis), a ruthless Chicago gangster who’s moved West and plans to make Vegas his own. (The character is based on real-life crime boss Marcello Giuseppe Caifano.)

Lamb has two deputies who help him keep law and order. His diplomatic and even-keeled brother is Deputy Jack Lamb (Jason O’Mara). Deputy Dixon Lamb (Taylor Handley) is his charming but impulsive son.

The ambitious Assistant District Attorney, Katherine O’Connell (Carrie-Anne Moss), grew up on the ranch next to the Lambs and also lends a hand in preserving justice.

Series Finale:
Episode #21 — Sons of Nevada
After Porter Gainsley’s bombing of the Tumbleweed and attempt on Katherine’s life, Lamb and Savino decide to team up to take out their common adversary once and for all. To prove his commitment to the task, Lamb hands over the tapes with the recordings from the bug in Savino’s phone, and then the mobster and former sheriff get to planning their assault on Gainsley.

Since the ranching mogul is too heavily protected at his home, they decide to target him at a livestock auction, but that plan goes awry when Dixon shows up and holds Gainsley at gunpoint. A firefight breaks out and Lamb is forced to save his son and flee, giving Gainsley time to regroup and amass more artillery for the coming war.

When Jack is ousted as interim Sheriff by more of Gainsley’s men, he and Dixon join forces with Lamb and Savino, and together they craft a plan that involves using Jones the hitman to put Gainsley in a corner. Jones plays his part well and leads Gainsley and his thugs into a trap, where Lamb gives him his freedom as a reward.

After an intense firefight, Lamb gets the drop on Gainsley and decides to arrest him instead of killing him, setting the proper example for his son and staying true to his morals.

In the end, Lamb gets his Sheriff job back, putting him at odds with Savino and his plans for growth in Vegas yet again.

Meanwhile, Jack plans to propose to Mia, but his plans are derailed when she breaks up with him after finding out about the bug he planted in Savino’s phone.

Tommy pursues Mia even harder, and the two wind up spending the night together. After Gainsley is taken into custody, Jack goes to Mia’s place to fight for her, but is crushed when he discovers Tommy there with her — in nothing but a bath robe.
First aired: May 10, 2013

What do you think? Do you like the Vegas TV series? Do you think it should have been cancelled or renewed for a second season?

Canceled and renewed TV show

1,874 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. John says

I am shaking my head. The show is great!! It seems whenever I get invested in an enjoyable CBS drama, they cancel it and stick another CSI clone on the air.

2. says

Not only did my husband and I love the show but we had a group of friends that also watched every week. Why would you take off a show that was as much fun and well done as “VEGAS”. Please, please reconsider and put it back on the air.

3. Mario says

You have got to be KIDDING right??? We looked forward to watching this great show every week!! You have to bring it back!!!

4. karen t says

Come on!! There are so few well done shows on tv and this was one of them. Why are the really good shows cancelled? Cancel some of the other crap being shown as entertainment. I loved the characters and the interaction between them. The chemistry was there, but I guess the front office doesn’t know from chemistry, or talent, or good.

5. Linda Sheaffer says

Just don’t understand CBS. This show was great. Loved seeing the old Las Vegas and the old mobsters.
    One of the better shows on TV. This and Survivor are the only shows I watch on CBS. 99% of their shows are junk. What, do you think we are moroons.
    Bring back Vegas.

6. Linda says

When I heard they cancelled Vegas I felt like I was kicked in the teeth. This is the only show I absolutely loved. CBS execs really need to think long and hard on their decision. Do they think we watch reality shows? Never have and never will!!

7. Marilyn M says

This was the best show to have come along in a long time. I’m so disappointed that it has been cancelled! I can only assume it is to make way for yet another brainless reality show which costs next to nothing to produce. TV has sunk to a new low. Almost everything on the schedule is mindless junk portraying people with absolutely no dignity or respect for themselves or anyone else for that matter! Truly disappointing!!!

8. Colene says

Vegas was one of the best new shows that CBS has had in years. Someone is a real idiot to have allowed its cancellation. This was one of the first time I have watched anything on CBS for a very long time. Won’t be watching anytime soon either. DUMMIES!!!!

9. Geoff Standbridge says

Geoff S
    I also can’t believe they canceled the show. These network executives need their heads checked. When MASH first came on the air it took a while for it to catch on and when it did it went on for years, so they should have given Vegas more of a chance. I know it’s all about money and ratings!! Bah hum bug!!! What will they replace it with – another inane reality show that I certainly won’t watch?

10. Tricia says

The only reason the show lost ratings was due to the day switch. I DVR it and never even knew it changed days, my DVR never picked up on it. I wonder how many other people this happened to, therefore causing a dip in the ratings! Great show! I am only 34 but love the 60’s setting. Am I the only one sick of the same old reality type TV shows?

11. Chris C. says

Vegas was a great show. I say the show should’ve been renewed for a 2nd season. I really liked the show myself. Including the actors in the show and their characters.

12. Shirley says

Will truly miss this show! One of the best with great actors who really worked well together. Hope cable will pick it up.

13. Don H says

I can’t believe that they get a good series on and then cancels it. There are too many shows on CBS that should be gone.