Veronica Mars: Rob Thomas Gives a Movie Update

Veronica MarsVeronica Mars ran for three seasons; two on UPN and the last on the CW. The show revolves around a young teen detective who solves both large and small cases. The series stars Kristen Bell in the title role and also features the talents of Percy Daggs III, Jason Dohring, Francis Capra, Enrico Colantoni, Ryan Hansen, Teddy Dunn, Michael Muhney, Tina Majorino, and Brandon Hillock.

Shortly after the CW cancelled Veronica Mars, series creator Rob Thomas said that he wanted to continue the show’s story as a movie. Bell was on board, as was show executive producer Joel Silver. Unfortunately, the project hasn’t been made and it doesn’t look like that’s going to change.

At the recent TCA press tour, Futon Critic’s Brian Ford Sullivan asked Thomas about the movie. He said, “I would write it if anyone would finance it. If anyone’s interested in making that movie I am available, Kristen’s [Bell] available. I would love to do it. I think the closest we came was Joel [Silver] pushing it at Warner Bros. and they didn’t bite. It has sort of gone away.”

Thomas also mentioned that Bell misspoke when, in a previous interview, she said that he had a script ready to go. He said, “I have a treatment, I don’t have a script. So she shouldn’t have jumped the gun on that but I am ready to write a script.”

What do you think? Do you think a Veronica Mars feature film will ever happen? Should it be a TV movie instead?

Canceled and renewed TV show

50 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. ST says

I think it would be great if they made a movie so it could be a good ending for the story. I really love the show but I wasn

2. Christiane Wiezorke says

If we cannot have another -closing and rounding up – season then, please, can somebody finance the film?? TV or big screen, never mind, as long as it will be available in Germany after some time.
    We got totally hooked on the series after reading about it in some blog or other. Ran over here (dubbed, arghh) late at night and we missed most of it, so we got ourselves the DVD boxes. Very good stuff – not as senseless as some of the soaps running nowadays. First season brilliant, so is third season, so why not go on?? We guess it doesn’t comply with average watcher mentality??? Just the same problem as in Germany, really; all good stuff goes off screen sooner or later ….

How does everyone think it’s going to end anyway?

3. Preeth says

I think that it would be a great idea to go ahead with the movie. Kristen Bell’s fan base has increased tremendously through her other roles and fans would be interested to see the show that set up her start. It could in turn also increase dvd sales for the seasons of Veronica Mars if the movie is a success, which I have no doubt it will be with Rob Thomas behind it. There are also many new fans of the show who have caught up with it after the show was canceled on television.

4. John Kirkwood says

THIS SUCKS! At least just give us ONE MORE SEASON!!!

I just got into VM recently and managed to watch it all in less than a month while working more than 50 hours a week. I am tired and I cannot deal with the way that this just got ripped away. Maybe I’d like to go back in time and never get into this show but it’s too late. Veronica is the coolest chick ever! This show was suspenseful, witty, intelligent and just overall had class, something lacking in much programming of a younger generation. Bring it back PLEASE!!!

5. Courtney says

I think that a movie could be made. I really enjoyed the first two seasons. I didn’t care so much about the third season but I really would have liked the show to continue as it could have gotten better. I liked the sense of humor. I think at least a tv movie wouldn’t be a bad idea. It would at least satisfy the VM fans.

6. RW says

I LOOOVE Veronica Mars and would prefer it too keep going as a series but closure through a movie would be just as awesome!

7. Average Citizen says

The chances of this happening are slim. I hate to keep referencing Angel when I comment but if the shoe fits…

That Silver took it to execs at Warner and got the turndown should be a fairly evident sign that other studios would do the same. Not to deny that the show has a fanbase but that alone doesn’t guarantee a maximum amount of profit potential (otherwise we’d see movies being greenlit left and right for every failed show that seemed like it had film potential to its fans).

As sad as it is to say, these days execs don’t go near something with blind faith. It’s less about the risk factor and more about what’s safe, comfortable and proven to be a draw.

8. Ourforever22 says

Hell yeah! Just because the WB doesn’t think that it won’t be “appealing” enough doesn’t mean they are right. they have no idea how passionate veronica mars fans are and how badly we want this made. we can do it… I still have hope

9. Jamie says

I would love to see a movie made, be it on the big screen or made for TV. I so love this show. I still can’t believe it got cancelled while some of the crap that is on TV now remains on the air.