Weeds: Showtime “Optimistic” about Season Eight; Are You?

Weeds season eightAt Showtime’s TCA presentation, network president David Nevins said that he’s “optimistic” about Weeds coming back for an eighth season but the cable channel has yet to make an official announcement. Nevins also said that he believes that the drama still has “real life in it.” Unfortunately, the numbers tell a slightly different story.

Weeds kicked off season seven on June 27th with a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 1.19 million viewers. That’s pretty close to what season six’s debut did last August. Unfortunately, subsequent episodes didn’t stay at that level. The second episode of the season lost about half of the premiere’s ratings. That was understandable considering it aired on the July 4th holiday. However, later episodes haven’t done much better. The most recent episode drew just 710,000 viewers and a 0.3 demo rating.

Showtime is likely waiting to see how the rest of the season does in the ratings but, based on these numbers, it looks like Weeds is in very real danger of being cancelled.

The finale of season seven of Weeds is expected to air on September 26th. Time will tell if it ends up being the series finale as well.

What do you think? Do you hope that Weeds is renewed for season eight or is it time for the show to be cancelled? Will you be upset if it doesn’t get a true series finale?

Anonymous August 5, 2012 at 4:36 pm

They must not end this show I hope it last for a very long time. If weeds do return I also hope the main cast is not replaced! A lot of people will be disappointed if either of those happen.

Anonymous May 9, 2012 at 9:59 pm

No! I want more! Bring Weeds back for another season PLEASE!

Derek M.Canales March 28, 2012 at 1:45 pm

I just wanted to say that I thought the show was very entertaining.I made sure that I always kept the Showtime channel so that I could see this great show.I checked and I was astonished to see it might not come back.Make a movie or something.Leave us with something.

Darby Solis October 11, 2011 at 2:10 pm

This is my favorite show!! I hope they give it one more season at least. Get her back to the suburbs where she was and out of the city. The characters are great! The stories are great! The show is FANTASTIC!! and I still need to know who the shooter is..come on!!!

cyndi bodie October 11, 2011 at 1:50 pm

Please,don’t end it now!!!! everything gets slow at one point or another,I Love this show!!!!,Weeds is Great!!…….and so forth coming!!!!!

jaden October 7, 2011 at 2:51 pm

I love weeds! I was so upset to find out it may be over! :( I think if there was another show to take it’s place ( if ever possible! ) It may be eaiser, like a spin off or another out of the box theme…. I think the show is at a kool place to end. If it was ever a time. I also think there are endless other shows to be made, we can watch stevie grow up too. Hope weeds comes back! I never loved a show so much!

jen October 1, 2011 at 7:44 pm

Hope they bring it back!!

Joey September 27, 2011 at 9:09 pm

WEEDS Has to stay on the air :) There is so much potential and Nancy Botwin has more to tell, hopefully showtime and Jenji can make a comeback with season 8 like previous seasons :))

Andre' September 26, 2011 at 7:58 pm

I want Weeds to never end. It’s my time to get my nutty on. I mean that show has done so much and just because contracts are over doesn’t mean RIP for the show. This show has brought me countless happiness and I love it. GO WEEDS!!!

Anonymous September 27, 2011 at 9:34 pm

We completely agree!! WE LOVE WEEDS AND NANCY!

me September 26, 2011 at 7:48 pm

they are getting back to their roots and that’s what it’s all about!

Marie September 4, 2011 at 10:17 pm

I still enjoy Weeds and look forward to watching it each week. Sure it is different than it was in the beginning but things change. I am tired of seeing all these reality shows coming on and I absolutely refuse to watch them. Please don’t end Weeds after this season. Give them another year or two. Looks like with many of my favorite shows being cancelled or talking of being cancelled, I will have to stop watching TV and start reading more. I am so disappointed at the state of TV these days with these ridiculous reality shows.