Accidentally on Purpose: CBS Sitcom Cancelled, No Season Two

IMAGECBS has long had a problem finding the right sitcom to round out their Monday night line-up. Two and a Half Men, How I Met Your Mother, and The Big Bang Theory work well but the network needs a solid fourth player. As this season began, it looked like Accidentally on Purpose just might be the one. No longer. It’s been cancelled.

Accidentally on Purpose revolves around thirty-something Billie Chase (Jenna Elfman) after she breaks up with her boyfriend/boss (Grant Show). She has a one-night fling with a much younger man, Zack (Jon Foster), and becomes pregnant. Billie ultimately decides to keep both the baby and the guy. The series also features Lennon Parham, Nicolas Wright, Ashley Jensen, and Pooch Hall.

The TV show got off to a pretty good start with a 3.3 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 8.91 million viewers. On Monday nights, the first 15 episodes ended up averaging a 3.1 in the demo and 8.23 million viewers. That’s actually quite good but the network has very high expectations because the TV show is surrounded by their very popular comedies. The real test is to see how well the series will perform on another night.

After a hiatus, CBS brought Accidentally on Purpose to Wednesday nights. With The New Adventures of Old Christine as a lead-in, the ratings fell like a rock. The three original episodes averaged a 1.8 in the key demo and 5.72 million viewers. If there was any hope for the series, these numbers dashed them.

CBS has now confirmed that the sitcom has been cancelled and will not be returning for season two. CBS can afford to be picky in what sitcoms it keeps and has also cancelled Gary Unmarried after two seasons and Old Christine after five.

Fortunately, the network aired all 18 episodes of Accidentally on Purpose and viewers got to see Billie give birth. Unfortunately, they won’t get to see how she and Zack cope as new parents.

What do you think? Are you sorry that Accidentally on Purpose has been cancelled or did CBS make the right choice?

Jamie August 21, 2014 at 12:36 pm

Finally a show worth watching , and it gets cancelled. Please bring it back.

TA August 18, 2014 at 11:55 pm

I’m so upset they cancelled this show!

Brittney August 13, 2014 at 6:31 pm

This was the first show that shows a relationship between two ppl of two different age groups. It’s funny. They’re so different but still love each other. Would’ve been great to see what happened once the baby was born. His friend cracks me up too. This is sad.

Nayla July 16, 2014 at 9:53 pm

I love this show and they cancelled it I’m so pissed this show is amazing please think about restarting it

Sam July 2, 2014 at 10:15 am

One of the best! I love this show so much! I’m devastated they canceled this show :’(

Jessica A June 7, 2014 at 10:06 pm

One of my all time favorite shows and only had one season. What a big mistake cancelling it!

Anonymous June 1, 2014 at 11:15 am

AT least give us five more episodes to see how Billie and Zack are coping as parents!!! gosh i hate it when shows are cancelled like that, and it always seems that the ones that are actually worth watching ALWAYS GET THE AXE!!!!

BRIAN PAUL May 14, 2014 at 7:16 pm

Accidentally on Purpose is the Best Tv show that I’v ever watched..I’m a comedy guy and This One Beats them All..its at the Top of My list..Davis is my Favourite character..so Pliz Pliz Bring it Back

Brittney May 7, 2014 at 1:06 am

I really like the show it is funny and kinda like baby daddy so if baby daddy got a hit and y’all are coming out with more seasons why not with accidently on purpose not only I but a lot of other people like it too and think you should bring it back!!!

Leslie Anderson April 14, 2014 at 12:08 pm

I think they should bring it back. I saw the first series on netflix and was devistated to
See that there wasn’t a second. The second season is needed to make a good ending because it ended a little abruptly, and it should have another season

Michelle March 2, 2014 at 9:03 pm

I just watched it on Netflix and loved it. I was really hoping there would be another season. I loved every episode. They really should bring it back, I would watch it. They had great actors, and it was hilarious. I want to see how Zack and Billie do as parents and I want to see if Davis and Olivia start dating.

Ashley February 20, 2014 at 12:10 am

I absolutely loved the first season of accidentally on purpose and am very disappointed that’s it’s cancelled. Why! Why!? It has great actors, funny, great plot, enjoyed watching every episode. Bring it back!

Anonymous February 12, 2014 at 6:28 pm

I really liked the first season!!! It was so funny! They should totally make a second season.

Anonymous February 1, 2014 at 10:44 pm

Just watched Season 1 on Netflix, super sad it didn’t make the cut! Would really love to see a new season

Anonymous January 26, 2014 at 11:00 pm

Bring it back. Season one was one of the funniest shows I’ve seen