Bet on Your Baby: New ABC Game Show; Cancel or Keep It?

Bet on Your Baby cancel or renew?ABC recently unveiled a new game show, Bet on Your Baby. While the network often airs reruns on Saturday nights, they opted to run this series on that little-watched night instead. Should ABC cancel it or bring it back for another season?

Hosted by Melissa Peterman, Bet on Your Baby features parents betting on what their young children will and won’t do for money that goes towards their kid’s future education. At the end of each episode, one set of parents gets to compete for the grand prize — a $50,000 college fund.

The series premiered to a 0.6 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 2.36 million total viewers. The debut was third in its timeslot and the second hour that followed did about the same.

The numbers climbed in week two and then dropped slightly in week three. Last Saturday’s episode took a pretty big tumble, falling to a 0.4 rating with 2.26 million.

Is Bet on Your Baby a success? It’s hard to say. ABC typically runs a hodge-podge of programming on Saturday nights — alternating between reruns, news specials, movie reruns, etc. Sometimes they perform better, sometimes worse.

Bet on Your Baby is no doubt an inexpensive series to produce and they also seem to have a tight sponsorship with Walmart. That may mean that, even with these low ratings, the show is profitable for the network.

So, the game show’s future could go either way. It’s not a flop but it’s not a big success either. The network stuck with Shark Tank when it wasn’t performing very well and it’s become their best-performing show on Friday nights. I could see them sticking with Bet on Your Baby for a second round too.

But, what do you think? Do you like Bet on Your Baby? Are you hoping that it’s cancelled or renewed for a second season? Does it bother you that the parents are betting on their kids’ behavior.

G. V. Padgett July 8, 2013 at 8:00 pm

KEEP IT! Its a family bonding enviroment. America needs need a LOTTTTT more of this
type of show. Thanks -

shonna hancock June 2, 2013 at 12:35 am

I actually have a idea for the show bet on your baby why dont they use the game bowling and see if the babies can knock the pins or guess how many pins the babies can knock down. thanks

Eric Niyokwizera June 1, 2013 at 11:11 pm

This show is boring, the jokes aren’t really funny and I fell asleep halfway through watching it. Please cancel.

Bobbie Dolick May 29, 2013 at 6:43 pm

I loved the show!!!! It’s so refreshing to see families having fun! I hope to see more!!!

Claire May 18, 2013 at 11:03 pm

I think the show is fun! I would make a few suggestions: Melissa Peterman could use a wardrobe, she is a beautiful woman and should be comfortable in a variety of clothes. The other thing I would do, drop the “Smash That Pig” chant. I really think that is silly. I agree with other viewers when they say they are tired of shows with detectives, murders and bloody corps. Light hearted, family entertainment would be very refreshing!

Sighter May 12, 2013 at 9:53 pm

ABC has reached a new low. It’s now stating it has no ethics or morales, as it allowed this on their network. And apparently, Melissa Petermans’ E&M’s took the day off. ABC axes good shows and puts mud like this on instead. When I saw the ad for this it apalled me. It’s the equivalent to betting on the ponies. Disgusting.

Cancel this dirt. Cancel. *uses megaphone* CANCEL!!

Colin MARTINO May 10, 2013 at 6:46 pm

One challenge should be to eat the babies, my records 100

linshar May 12, 2013 at 6:53 pm

Please keep on with the show, nice to have something other than murder and DNA!!

Anonymous May 7, 2013 at 4:53 pm

Keep it, it’s great to have something to laugh at on TV. I get tired of police or medical shows.

Why Watch May 6, 2013 at 1:23 pm

Cancel this worthless airing of a show.

Carol Roberts May 6, 2013 at 11:27 am

I throughly enjoyed the show it was so entertaining and the kids were adorable .I would like to know how and where iI can sign my grandson and his parents up. please send any information on how to be considered for the show. thank you

emaegf May 5, 2013 at 11:55 pm

Cancel. It’s boring and I still don’t understand the purpose of this show.