$#*! My Dad Says: CBS Sitcom Canceled; No Season Two

Bleep My Dad Says canceled season twoWell, the $#*! may have hit the fan. It’s being reported that William Shatner’s sitcom, $#*! My Dad Says, has been cancelled after one season on CBS.

$#*! My Dad Says revolves around a young struggling writer who’s out of money and must move in with his cranky and opinionated father. The TV show stars William Shatner, Jonathan Sadowski, Will Sasso, Nicole Sullivan, and Stephanie Lemelin.

Despite people’s doubts that a Twitter feed could inspire a sitcom, the TV series got off to a solid start in September with a 4.0 rating and 12.58 million viewers. The next two episodes fell 18% and 12% respectively but the series was still doing well.

The numbers went up and down a bit over the course of the season but the series still ended up averaging a 3.0 rating in the 18-49 demographic and 10.42 million viewers. Since the rest of CBS’ schedule is doing so well, that rating put the series squarely on the bubble. Had it been on NBC, it would have been safe.

Should $#*! My Dad Says have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

The one problem that $#*! My Dad Says had was that it lost a significant amount of the lead-in from The Big Bang Theory. That sitcom averages a 4.0 in the demo so $#*! loses 25% of that prime audience. Despite that, $#*! was reportedly still in contention up until recently, though it was looking like co-star Jonathan Sadowski might have been dropped.

Ultimately, it seems that CBS execs believe that they can do better with another show in the timeslot. Rules of Engagement didn’t perform as well as $#*! but was renewed anyway. The fact that CBS co-owns Rules, which is close to having enough episodes for syndication, likely had a lot to do with that decision.

TV show supportCBS has cancelled $#*! My Dad Says as well as fellow newbie Mad Love. CBS introduced three new sitcoms this season and only one, Mike & Molly, is expected to survive.

All 18 episodes of $#*! My Dad Says have aired with the series finale having run on February 17th.

We don’t know what Ed Goodson would have to say about this but series co-creator Jonathan Sadowski tweeted, “I regret to inform you that S**T MY DAD SAYS has been cancelled… Thanks for the memories!”

What do you think? Should $#*! My Dad Says have been renewed for season two? Will you miss it?

Wondering where the rest of your shows stand? Check our CBS cancel/renew page.

G August 30, 2014 at 5:51 am

agree with all of you.. can’t believe they stopped it…OMG ..

SOUTH AFRICA February 13, 2013 at 2:57 am

I enjoyed this comedy and is the only series i ever watched more than countable. I’M ANTICIPATING SEASON II. If CBS prefer it pronounced or even renamed anything itz fine (dat only afffecting brand marketing, but the content is all we want) just bring back the sitcom. I believe is packed with punch, should we really go and ask in Cambodia??? #Ed’s voice

Cassandra December 6, 2011 at 11:14 am

I loved this show and I got mad when I heard it was cancelled. Too many shows I love get canceled either for no reason at all or becuase someone didn’t want to do it anymore. My favorite Disney Channel series Sonny with a chance got cancelled after just 2 seasons, but unlike when most shows get cancelled, that one got cancelled for a reason. That got cancelled because Demi Lovato went into rehab for 3 months, and after getting out, she said she didn’t think that going back on Sonny with a chance would’ve been good for her, so they replaced that with So Random, which is good but isn’t and in my opinion never will be as amazing as Sonny with a chance. My newest favorite TV show is the new ABC drama revenge, and I hope that doesn’t get cancelled or I’m just going to get really PO’d. Now there’s another show that got cancelled criminal minds: suspect behavior, that got cancelled after just one season, but that wasn’t even close to being as good as the orignal cirimnal minds, but spin-offs of some shows can be really amazing. I haven’t seen the orignal Law and Order, but I have seen SVU and I love that one, so I just stick with watching that one. Bottom line they should bring this show, and others back, even if they won’t conitnue like Sonny with a chance, bring that back because I love it, and so do many others. I saw a comment a youtube video for that show season 2 espidoe 10 falling for the falls part 1, and somebody said “Sonny with a chance is amazing I can’t live without it.” and 100 people agreed with that comment, and I would’ve too, if I had a youtube account which I don’t.

Susie November 19, 2011 at 11:47 pm

My husband and I never really cared for Wm Shatner then along came Bleep My Dad Says.
We became fans of his! I really get annoyed with the ‘powers that be’ not giving a show a fair chance. It’s not like the show had no ratings… but if it isn’t an instant Superstar than *bleep* the fans.

kenny November 5, 2011 at 6:23 pm

Funny show. Good casting. Great sets and some of the best lighting I have ever seen on a sitcom. I’ll miss it. But one question… Who was standing on the other side of the door in the “finale?” CBS could have at least ended the series without a cliffhanger.

Dee October 19, 2011 at 5:21 pm

I can’t believe they cancelled this show. I thought maybe they had it in the lineup for the winter season. I looked forward to it every week. GREAT, FUNNY…… What are they thinking? That and Big Bang Theory, funniest hour on TV. It made me think of the great, classic Archie Bunker.

Katie K October 12, 2011 at 12:04 pm

I don’t understand why the network would cancel such a funny show. There are few things in life that make me smile lately, but that show made me laugh out loud!!

Ali M October 7, 2011 at 1:30 pm

I can not believe $..! My Dad Says was cancelled. Why? I just don’t understand how so much crap, like reality shows, can continue to clog our screens but a good show like this is taken off the air.

PKNCK October 6, 2011 at 8:06 am

What the bleep were they thinking when they cancelled the show?
Bleep was funny, we were disapointed when the show didn’t air anymore.
So sick of reality shows, and crime scene shows, how about cancelling one of them and bring back Bleep?
Don’t keep america laughing lets keep them in fear. Shame on you CBS!!!!

obeng October 3, 2011 at 12:27 pm

why on earth should a series like that be canceled. Have some people lost their sense of humour? Im really disappointed. It had the power to turn a bad day into a sensational one. I miss IT

Beth A. Abramson September 24, 2011 at 12:18 am

I loved this show and thought it was one of the funniest shows on TV in quite some time. What a shame programs like this get cancelled and uninspired pap gets renewed.

Ann Parker September 18, 2011 at 11:29 am

I can’t believe you cancelled Bleep my Dad says! You didn’t even give the show a chance. There are a lot of programs I have seen that were kind of slow in the beginning. But after a couple of seasons, came around to be hits! This show would have been one of them!! We need more comedy in our lives. Not these so called reality shows.

DEE September 16, 2011 at 1:14 pm

I WAS NOT A GREAT FAN OF WILLIAM S. BUT, I HAVE TO ADMIT THIS WAS ONE OF THE FUNNIES SHOWS I HAVE EVER WATCHED. IF I WAS UNABLE TO WATCH IT I TAPED IT AND DID NOT MISS ANY EPISODES. I WAS SO DISSAPPOINTED TO FIND OUT THAT IT HAD BEEN CANCELLED. THIS SHOW CHANGED MY MIND ABOUT WILLIAM S. HE IS A VERY TALENTED ACTOR!!! I HOPE THAT ANOUTHER NETWORK PICKS UP THE SERIES. IT HAS BEEN DONE
BEFORE!! I WILL KEEP MY FINGERS CROSSED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Bill Whitley September 15, 2011 at 4:44 pm

This was a great show. It is a shame tha CBS canceled a show that was really funny. Best acting from William Shatner in a long time.

angie September 15, 2011 at 3:54 pm

Im sad to see this show go, I really loved watching it. I really dont get into half hr sitcoms but this was hillarious.