Blue Mountain State: Cancelled; No Season Four

Blue Mountain State canceled season fourThe game is over for Coach Daniels (Ed Marinaro) and his team. There won’t be a fourth season for Blue Mountain State. The Spike TV series has been cancelled.

The comedy series revolves around the on and off-field antics of Pennsylvania college football powerhouse, Blue Mountain State. Coach Daniels has his hands full with the hijynx of his wife (Denise Richards) and students like team captain Thad (Alan Ritchson), quarterback Alex (Darin Brooks), and team mascot Sammy (Chris Romano).

The comedy performed decently for Spike in season one and realized significant gains in season two. The cable channel reported that the series saw a 33% increase with men 18-34, a 50% climb in men 18-24, and a 14% increase with men 18-49.

Total viewership dropped however in season three which kicked off this past September. While some episodes of season two had attracted 1.25 million viewers, at least one episode of season three garnered only half as many viewers. Spike TV aired the last two episodes of the season on November 30th. It turns out they’ll also be the last of the series as well.

Should BMS have been cancelled?

View Results

Loading ... Loading ...

Lionsgate, the studio that produces Blue Mountain State, apparently considered shopping the series to other outlets but it didn’t work out. The cast and crew were recently told that season four wouldn’t be happening.

While it’s been reported that the show was cancelled due to a decline in ratings, producer Eric Falconer says differently. He tweeted, “BMS wasn’t cancelled because of a drop in ratings. Season 3 was actually up 20% + in all male demographics vs S2. It was a budget issue.”

As recently as last week, Falconer was still hoping to hear that the show had been picked up for season four. However, it seems that State was actually living on borrowed time with Spike — even during season three. Last August, Spike TV executive VP Sharon Levy told Variety that the cable channel would be focusing on only non-scripted programming for the immediate future.

Of the cancellation news, Ritchson wrote, “Sad day for #BMS fans.” He followed that up with, “I can’t thank the dedicated cast, crew, and fans enough for all the love and support. Portraying Thad was a dream come true. I’m grateful.”

Brooks thanked the cast and crew and “everyone who made this show possible…a HUGE thank you!! Love you guys!!”

What do you think? Are you sorry that Blue Mountain State has been cancelled? Would you follow the show to another channel? Would you be interested in a BMS movie?

Jimmy August 18, 2012 at 7:38 am

Best show ever . Bring it back! Now i have nothin to watch

Billy August 17, 2012 at 11:14 pm

I just found out, hadn’t had cable during it’s last season, and literally JUST finished watching the last season on Netflix. The show was awesome, one of the few comedies that I could just about watch anytime.

I think Falconer’s words about “budget issues” being the reason for cancellation couldn’t be any truer…or sadder. Spike TV and most other networks are switching almost exclusively to “unscripted” “reality tv” swill, just because its cheap and makes a short quick buck. I can’t wait for the day that programs are no longer dependent upon channels, and that day is coming. You see now how channels are going against and away from providers more and more (think Direct TV and all of Viacoms channels, or Dish and AMC…etc.).

Soon one day, shows will be able to exist solely on their own merit, probably in the streaming realm. And then we won’t have to worry about clowns in exec suites axing the only piece of worthwhile original programming they have bc they could replace it with something cheaper. This kind of thinking is why people don’t want to invest in shows anymore: you never know when some idiot will give it the axe.

I’m glad I read this article though, just lost a ton of respect for Spike, and will make a point to not support them in any way.

BMS fan August 14, 2012 at 8:10 pm

Possibly the most disappointing thing I’ve seen in a while. Blue mountain state was the funniest and most interesting show I have seen in a while. It really sucks that it isn’t on the air anymore. I would definitely keep watching this show if they made them.

brandon August 9, 2012 at 11:47 pm

im very sorry i loves BMS and i would watch it on any channel but i dont think that a movie is a very good idea

it should stay August 1, 2012 at 5:44 am

I cant believe BMS is over this was the funniest and greatest t.v show I have ever seen. I would watch this show on any channel. Please do a season 4.

Stevo July 30, 2012 at 9:31 pm

Best show On television hands down!!!
Very addicting, I want to see it on air again.
There is no way you could pack everything into a movie,
The show has so much potential.
All in all, sad to see it go I would watch it on any channel f$$k the vp.

jeff aye July 27, 2012 at 11:17 pm

this is the greatest show on television

Billguy July 23, 2012 at 6:00 pm

BRING IIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIIITTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTTT BACCCCCCCCCCCCCCCKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKKK

Steph July 18, 2012 at 9:28 pm

Loved the show and I’m not even a dude! I would watch it on any channel or if worse comes to worse that movie better be something that is worth BMS not coming back!

adam July 16, 2012 at 11:36 pm

This is a great show ill watch it on any channel

Josh July 9, 2012 at 1:34 am

BMS was an awsome show one my favorite comedys right up there with Scrubs and That 70s show and I’m really post that it ended so early I just found out about it on netflix and watched though the whole seris in 1 week and really wish it had a longer life than 3 short seasons but back to the point yes I would without a doubt watch what ever else they put out hopfully some more seasons

j doss July 7, 2012 at 2:18 pm

Favorite comedy series for sure BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK! BRING IT BACK!

Jerry July 5, 2012 at 2:54 pm

I’ll follow BMS anywhere “idgaf if it’s on Oxygen or in IMAX” this show was halarious hand down best comedy on tv in a while exspecially for those guys who enjoy jock stories or wish they had that experience in their high school and college days

sad June 15, 2012 at 8:23 am

damn! best show in quite a while.. me and my housemates are sad to see it go :(

dani June 8, 2012 at 5:40 pm

the best show ever, I wish there would be more seasons to come. GO GOATS!