Caprica: Syfy Announces 2011 Return of TV Series

CapricaThe Syfy channel has announced that Caprica is returning for the second half of its freshman season. It’s been awhile since the end of the first half, airing back on Friday, March 26th.

Here’s the official press release…

CAPRICA RETURNS TO SYFY IN JANUARY 2011

New York, New York – July 21, 2010 – Syfy has announced the highly-anticipated return of critically-acclaimed series Caprica. The second half of season one premieres in January 2011 (date TBA), and kicks off with a thrilling pace as the citizens of Caprica deal with the chaotic aftermath of the mid-season finale’s harrowing events.

In season 1.5, the once idyllic world of Caprica – as well as life across the colonies – falls prey to an explosive chain reaction of consequences set off by the characters’ many questionable actions in the season’s first half. Tensions rise, power shifts and the line between reality and the virtual world becomes increasingly blurred as everyone struggles to learn – and conquer – the stakes in this volatile setting. As the season races towards its stunning conclusion, events of each episode lay the framework for the inevitable (and brutal) clash between the newly-created Cylon race and their human creators.

An all-new trailer for season 1.5 will premiere at Caprica’s Comic-Con panel on July 23, and before landing on Syfy.com, it will be available exclusively on Microsoft’s Zune Marketplace on Xbox LIVE and Windows PCs through the Zune PC software available for free at www.zune.net. (July 26).

Caprica stars Eric Stoltz (Daniel Graystone), Paula Malcomson (Amanda Graystone), Esai Morales (Joseph Adama), Polly Walker (Sister Clarice Willow), Alessandra Torresani (Zoe Graystone), Magda Apanowicz (Lacy) and Sasha Roiz (Sam Adama).

Caprica is a prequel to the award-winning series Battlestar Galactica. The series is from Universal Cable Productions, and is executive produced by Ronald D. Moore and David Eick. Jonas Pate serves as co-executive producer and director.

Universal Cable Productions creates quality content across multiple media platforms for USA, Syfy and other networks. A leader in innovative and critically acclaimed programming, UCP is the studio behind USA’s Royal Pains, Law & Order: Criminal Intent, Psych, In Plain Sight, Covert Affairs and Facing Kate, as well as Syfy’s Eureka, Warehouse 13 and Caprica. The studio also produced the long-running series Monk and Battlestar Galactica. UCP is a division of NBC Universal.

Syfy is a media destination for imagination-based entertainment. With year round acclaimed original series, events, blockbuster movies, classic science fiction and fantasy programming, a dynamic Web site (www.Syfy.com), and a portfolio of adjacent business (Syfy Ventures), Syfy is a passport to limitless possibilities. Originally launched in 1992 as SCI FI Channel, and currently in 96 million homes, Syfy is a network of NBC Universal, one of the world’s leading media and entertainment companies. (Syfy. Imagine greater.)

UPDATE: Syfy later changed the return date to October 5, 2010.

What do you think? Are you looking forward to the return of Caprica?

John October 29, 2010 at 6:02 pm

If SciFi wasn’t wasting air time trying to get females to watch, Caprica would have been even better than it was.

Caprica was getting better and better each episode, everything but the mother and the STO Leader. Caprica needs to drop the mother story, and focus on the real issues, STO, Graystone, Turans, and Cylons. The mothers story is a waste of the episode, I always skip when I hear the annoying saxaphone music.

kiki October 19, 2010 at 11:20 am

did anyone saw the new episode announced or am i dreaming ?
cant wait the following !

Edie in the Catskill Mts. October 8, 2010 at 12:13 pm

Caprica is great. I watched the entire series on the marathon day, before watching the new one.

Howard In Jacksonville FL October 5, 2010 at 7:33 am

I am very much looking forward to Caprica’s return.

z September 29, 2010 at 8:04 pm

Are you kidding? Of course I want to see what happens on Caprica!!!

Caprica Go Hot September 29, 2010 at 11:53 am

Anxiously anticipating the return and mivht i say Esai and Eric hot and terrific:)

Sandra September 18, 2010 at 4:38 pm

I can’t wait for Caprica to return. It seems like forever since it was on.

KG1 September 2, 2010 at 12:37 pm

A 10-month wait between half seasons is no way to run a series, sweetheart. The first wave of episodes are two hours of story drawn out to eight. BSG had the slows at times too, but finally picked up the pace. The threat of cancellation probably helped in this regard and might with Caprica, if it survives past the first season. After the BSG experience I decided not to get attached to Caprica. With the hiatus and probable cancellation that was a wise move on my part.

Judi August 22, 2010 at 4:15 pm

Yes!! I can’t wait to see what happens with Zoe and the religous group she followed. Her family as well as the Adama and his daughter who is trapped in cyber land. Wish they would hurry up and bring it back. It was the best drama and Scfy out there now.
It is great to see the connection to the people of Battle Star Galactic which would Capria’s great grandchildren..
Great show!! 62 and still love great Syfy.

jj September 20, 2010 at 11:57 am

I’m 63 and love Caprica (and loved Battlestar Galactica).

Kelly August 16, 2010 at 5:36 am

Heck yeah I’ll watch. I can’t wait. I love it. I don’t love Stargate Universe. It’s not what it’s suppose to be about , there’s no humor ,not clever. they don’t think the audience is smart. big mistake. We’re long time watchers and you have to take that into consideration. The joke matters. A LOT. Sci-fi is imortant to me. As entertainment it’s the first thing I look for . Ok well keep it coming.

SCi fan favorite August 8, 2010 at 3:48 pm

They really need to listen to what people want to see. I understnd that the actors at time want to end the series and i can accept that but other than that keep the series going until the ratings go really low. But why such a long wait for it to stat up again??

don August 1, 2010 at 1:38 pm

Battlestar was a great show. It had a great cult following as do most great scifi shows. They were actually quite stupid by sticking to ending the show. It does show how stupid these CEO’s really are. The Scifi fan is the most loyal there is in telivision. They buy products and are the people advertisers really want.
100 Scifi fans are worth 1,000 regular fans in terms of advertising. They just don’t get it.

I do agree they once again show how stupid they are by waiting so long to air. They really don’t understand the people who watch T.V. at all. The show has great promise but the fact they waited so long to continue has turned allot of people off.

Stargate S.G. 1 is another good example of a show that could have continued. Such loyal fans who buy products and whom advertisers would kill for. I like stargate universe and I do enjoy caprica. It continued the people side of scifi. That a scifi show does have depth and characters that people enjoy and follow.

I will watch caprica should they get off their idiot arses and air the show. I hope they get a clue and fire the idiot’s who are making the decisions over there. I think the problem is actually at NBC. They don’t know how to run things there and keep the shows people want to watch, would we expect them to be able to do it with the Scify network?

What idiots…

I personally hope they get it together and put the effort into Caprica it deserves.

Good show…. air it..

Curt November 2, 2010 at 6:28 am

Don,

You couldn’t be more wrong about ending BSG. The fact that they told the story and ended it, unlike say “lost” which languished for (IMHO) 3 to many years. I wish more shows had the courage to tell a great story with a set begin and a set end.

I do agree completly with you about Caprica though, to wait so long and after a short first season anyway to me shows they had contracts to fill but must have made their minds up much earlier about scratching the show. A shame, because again the character development and humanity of SCI FI is why the fans watch. CGI is great, but most of us who have no shame in saying we are SCI FI go for the content of the story over quality of the effects.

Regards,

fusongs July 28, 2010 at 9:04 am

What a crappy channel. The show was too slow and stupid. And to wait for the second half of a season LUDICRIS. THIS SHOW SUCKED STARGATE UNIVERSE SUCKS. WHY NOT REVIVE A SHOW LIKE THE SARAH CONNOR CHRONICLES.

Nick Knight July 23, 2010 at 12:33 pm

These long waits, that make you not even care about the show anymore. Renaming SCiFi with its new stupid name. I want to work over there. I would be King. The lazy, and just plain stupid are running the show over there now.

MK July 22, 2010 at 6:48 am

Why so long???? It’ll be off the air for nearly a year…will people remember and return? I will thanks to Tivo, but others???