Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

Carly September 13, 2013 at 8:31 pm

We love the show ~ intelligent scripts with very talented actors. Would watch it for many years. Can’t stand most tv shows especially what is supposed to be comedy and I love romantic comedy movies and good action films.

AJ September 13, 2013 at 5:25 pm

Please please bring back Crossing Lines. It seems like the networks cancel good shows but let bad shows stay on. I liked the show, I liked the characters. I’ve seen the actor that plays Hickman in a number of things & he always did a good job. I want to know what happened to Anne-Marie.

Serena Rubicon September 13, 2013 at 3:29 pm

Very entertaining. High production values; Bournesque location shots. Love the actors. Yes, please, keep it on air!!

arleen belcon September 11, 2013 at 9:19 pm

I am hooked on this show, watched 6 epi back to back, till 5 am i might add. Hope the bring it back!!!!

DJ September 11, 2013 at 1:46 am

I loved this show and I would love to watch many more seasons!! No idea why more people didn’t watch as it was very smart and entertaining. I would watch it on any US channel that picked it up. I hope it will return for another season!

Sommer September 10, 2013 at 4:45 pm

I absolutely loved this show! It reminded me of Criminal Minds only it brought different aspects that aren’t shown in any other show! I think if there was more promoting this show would be a hit! I really hope it gets another chance

Tamara Bender September 9, 2013 at 12:22 am

Loved the show…please bring it back for another season.

Michele September 7, 2013 at 1:16 pm

I really enjoy the suspense of this series. And the team work of all the characters even though they’ve come from so many different walks of life. It’s a show definitely worth watching.

Vld September 6, 2013 at 9:50 pm

This is a great show with substance. We need more shows like this and less reality crap.

CAG September 6, 2013 at 6:59 pm

This is an intelligent series that requires some attention and thought processing; that’s why it is failing. I surely hope it comes back -somewhere. I will be watching.

Susan M September 6, 2013 at 5:05 pm

I love this show, also. It’s a real treat to see actors from multiple countries working together on a show set in Europe. I wish NBC would have promoted Crossing Lines better, I barely saw any publicity at all. I only get basic cable so NBC needs to set up and air Season 2, at least long enough to explain the three (count’em 3!) cliffhangers. If not maybe Netflix, Amazon or iTunes would make it available, please?

Tracie K September 4, 2013 at 1:54 pm

Love this show! Like a good book, the stories evolve and characters develop, lots of clliff hangers that need to be resolved. An inteligent show for adults. If NBC can’t support this show, maybe TNT or USA could pick it up. Oh, and I love Donald Sutherland, what a sophisticated actor.

NBC needed to better advertise and support this show to increase viewership.

Pantea September 4, 2013 at 5:36 am

I really like the series. Please bring it back. Please renew it and air it

Debbie September 1, 2013 at 11:02 pm

Please do not cancel this series. It is an outstanding adult series filled with character development, intrigue, and action. It is one of the best shows currently on T.V.
If NBC doesn’t pick it up, perhaps the BBC, FX or Showtime will. Please don’t let it go.

JC September 1, 2013 at 3:53 pm

I need closure! I really enjoyed this show. Bring it back.