Crossing Lines: A Second Season or Cancelled on NBC?

Crossing Lines canceled or renewed for season two?Last night, NBC aired the finale of Crossing Lines. The season ended on a cliffhanger that has viewers itching for season two. Will the show be renewed, or will it be cancelled instead?

Crossing Lines follows a former NYPD officer who’s become addicted to morphine and ends up working as a trash collector for a carnival in the Netherlands. The International Criminal Court recognizes his worth and recruits him to help investigate crimes that cross international borders.

The show stars William Fichtner, Marc Lavoine, Gabriella Pession, Tom Wlaschiha, Moon Dailly, Richard Flood, and Donald Sutherland.

The police procedural series debuted June 23rd to a disappointing 0.7 rating in the 18-49 demographic with 4.38 million viewers. The first hour ranked a distant third in its timeslot, easily beaten by a rerun of FOX’s Family Guy and the debut of Whodunnit? on ABC.

Though viewership is lower in the summer months, the peaock network could not be happy with these numbers. The later weeks saw them get even worse. Over the course of the season, Crossing Lines has fallen as low as a 0.5 demo rating and 2.51 million viewers.

If NBC were producing the Crossing Lines, there’d be no way that they would make a second season. There’s just not enough ad money to pay for the production.

Thankfully for fans, NBC doesn’t produce the show. Crossing Lines was jointly commissioned by TF1 in France and by Sony for their AXN channels.

NBC merely licenses the series so it costs them much less. Based on the ratings, it’s still extremely unlikely that the peacock network will air a second season.

However, there’s hope that another season will be produced by Sony and TF1. If that happens, another US channel could pick it up or, at the very least, episodes could be released on DVD. We’ll post any updates as they become available.

But, what do you think? Would you like to see a second season of Crossing Lines or should it be cancelled instead? Why didn’t more people watch? If NBC doesn’t want season two, which channel would be a better fit?

Anonymous March 1, 2014 at 8:42 pm

would rather see this than…Bates Motel….and some of the “reality” shows….

Jerry Collins February 26, 2014 at 1:02 pm

NBC is a very lame network to begin with. Fox could rise the ratings on this show with out a doubt. It has the same things going for it as 24 or Prison Break did.

Jerry Collins February 26, 2014 at 12:54 pm

I love the show and would like to see Fox pick it up!

Herrold Jerrod February 16, 2014 at 1:26 pm

I thought the first season of Crossing Lines was an excellent series that had the distinct misfortune of a promotion campaign that was grossly mismanaged. The series deserves a second season and this time use a promotion department that is “Up to the Task”!!!

Rose February 14, 2014 at 9:04 am

IMDB, currently, only shows tw0 pending episodes but no date. I sure hope that is not an indication of this series tanking as I really enjoyed it. These days, when they seem to only make shows with 10-12 episodes, it is difficult to get fully vested in any part of it-from the characters to the story lines-but this one did that. Of course, having Donald Sutherland and William Fitcher is a real highlight. Please come back and with more then 2 episodes.

Marsha February 10, 2014 at 2:58 pm

I really enjoyed the first season. Firstly, I watch anything that has Donald Sutherland in it. Whatever the material, he makes it better. Secondly, the rest of the cast (especially William Fitcher) is compelling. I would be very disappointed if it was cancelled before finding out if it was indeed the agent in the burned out car. I will be watching if season two is a go.

Walter February 8, 2014 at 8:26 am

Loved the first season. Good acting, great plot, nice locals. Felt more like a pbs-British mystery than anything from american tv. Keeping my fingers crossed for season 2. If they upped the demographic age to 45 and above , I’m sure they’d get better numbers.

Irma J Loebe February 4, 2014 at 5:49 pm

Love the show. Please bring it back.

L. John Lewis February 3, 2014 at 11:37 pm

Love the show. Can’t wait for a second season.

Pam Harrah January 30, 2014 at 7:20 pm

Really like the show! Want to see more. Sick of all the brainless, stupid reality shows, and shows like American idol. Give me more shows like Crossing Lines that have a plot and some great actors. I call that entertainment. Shows like the bachelor, housewives, honey b00-boo, duck dynasty are pure crap for the brain dead!!!

lewis January 29, 2014 at 7:55 am

Like to see a second season was a great show..Hope it gets pick up again..:)
Why go with CW network..?

Mindy Johnson January 26, 2014 at 9:01 am

Bring crossing lines back!!!!!!!!! I’m tired of my favorite shows, like fringe cancelled. Grrrrrrrrrrrrrr. I want crossing lines back.

Teresa January 23, 2014 at 11:56 am

Crossing Lines is intelligent and entertaining, an AWESOME CAST and elements so lacking in many of the offerings available from the Networks. That this show would be beat by Family Guy is a sad comment on our society today. I will continue to search for Crossing Lines’ second season – Come on ION – come to the rescue!!

Gabriela January 23, 2014 at 11:43 am

A mi si me gustaria ver la segunda temporada me encanta y si no lapasan por tv la compro en DVD

Mary January 21, 2014 at 10:14 pm

I sure hope it returns – I’m certainly hooked and what to know where this goes. It is a great show and the twists and turns are intriguing.