Cupid: ABC Gives Second Chance to Jeremy Piven Series

CupidIt’s not often that a series gets a second chance but that’s just what’s happening with the cult favorite show Cupid.

Cupid debuted on September 26, 1998 on ABC. The series starred Jeremy Piven as Trevor Hale, a man who believes that he is the mythological Cupid. As punishment for his arrogance, he’s been sent to Earth by Zeus to connect 100 couples without using his powers. Not surprisingly, he finds himself in an institution and is put under the care of Chicago psychologist Dr. Claire Allen (Paula Marshall). The state mental health board agrees to Trevor’s release providing that Claire continue to monitor his progress, a professional situation made all the more difficult when the two begin to fall for one another.

Cupid was one of the early projects by writer Rob Thomas who went on to create the very popular (yet ratings-challenged) Veronica Mars. Though Cupid was cancelled after only 15 episodes (one of those left unaired), the series attracted a small but devoted group of fans. They’re likely going to be very happy to hear that Cupid is coming back, albeit in a new form.

As part of a previously announced development deal, ABC has now asked Thomas to develop a new version of Cupid. The creator told Variety, “For the last couple years, I’ve been talking to ABC about how to do an anthological romantic comedy ala Cupid or Love Boat. We kept beating around ideas and kept coming back to Cupid as the best of the group. So they said to me, ‘Why not go back and do Cupid again?”

Thomas was “shocked” but by the suggestion. He continued, “I’m getting a chance to do what writers never get the chance to do, which is to go back and try” to improve a work. While Thomas will rewrite the pilot, the premise will remain virtually unchanged. “I’m not going to reinvent it. What they’re buying is the show.”

Minor changes in store will include the casting. Emmy-winner Piven is busy with the Entourage series so he and the rest of the original cast won’t likely be taking part. The new series’ main title sequence will communicate the show’s premise so that Thomas won’t have to re-explain it within the episodes. The series local will also change — from the windy city to Los Angeles, in hopes of doing some high-profile stunt casting. Thomas shares, “The plan is to try to hook some really good guest stars every week.”

Though Cupid wasn’t a ratings success the first time around, Thomas feels the time is right for a revisit. “The zeitgeist is better for the show now, and ABC is a much better network for it now. They’ve got a lot of shows that could lead into it.”

For the original series, Thomas admits that he hadn’t fully decided if Trevor was indeed the mythological character. Though he’s not sharing secrets this time around, Thomas says that, if the new Cupid sticks around long enough, viewers won’t be left hanging. “If we make it into syndication, this time I promise that I’ll answer the question.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Canceled and renewed TV show

31 Comments · Read them below or add one

1. genevieve says

hello, my name is Genevieve and I’m french. Lucky for me that this show went across the sea to a streaming website. Sorry, didn’t have the choice because a foolish production has decided to stop this great serie. You know what, you are making a terible mistake. People are tired with series talking about murders, investigations, illness… You are the ones on this segment of pretty shows, treating about love with humour and sens, and you blow it on fire? are you crazy or what. France would have been very happy to see this show. too bad!!!

2. Angelo Haristoy says

Wow, I thought this show was going to be unwatchable. But I keep watching them over and over again. Great show, to bad it got shut down. :(

3. POSSUM says

JUST LIKE ABC TO TOSS THE BABY OUT WITH THE BATH WATER. THIS IS ONE OF THE REASONS I DUMPED THE NETYWORKS IN FAVOR OF STACKING BB”s IN THE CORNER. I STILL THINK THAT THE “BBC” IS WAY AHEAD OF AMERICAN TV.

4. Claudia says

I really miss this show. It was awesome. I was really interested in seeing were it was going. Trevor was great. I want to see what happens when he reaches 100. PLEASE BRING THIS BACK!

5. says

i did not see the original cupid, but love the new version. It ws one of the few shows that my son (12) and i could watch together. Will it be back this fall? i am so tired of reality shows and crime dramas. i like the lightheartedness of this show.

6. Jazvina Lahre says

Well the first season just started in Malaysia at the moment and was searching the web to ensure there is more seasons for this show as found the first episode rather interesting and nice :)

7. Cupid Fan says

I found this while looking for the latest news on this great show. I love Cupid!! I thought the character was adorable & likeable. The chemistry was great. The episodes were slightly predictable, but that is the premise. And the scene with the progressive “date” down the street was wonderful & memorable.

8. ruskyqt says

I have never seen the original cupid, but if it’s anything like the newly released one then I would have loved it. I would watch it on Tuesdays, but now it’s not on anymore. What happened did they cancel it, or are they going to bring it back later on in the fall? I hope they bring it back…

9. cissy says

I loved this show. I did not see the first one, but I loved this one. There are plenty of cop shows, doctors/hospital dramas, even a fair share of ESP type shows,. This was fun and different. Trevor was adoable also! I hope this show continues.

10. GG says

I LOVE CUPID!!!!! im in college so im never able to watch show on the actual tv but me and my friends watch all the episodes online!! abc should really account online views into the ratings cause all of high school/college kids are doing it now. Please bring cupid back. TRUST ME your audience that you want are watching!