Flash Gordon: Sci Fi Quietly Cancels Adventure Series

Flash GordonThe latest TV series to be based on the classic comic strip Flash Gordon has gone where many sci-fi series have gone before – the cancellation galaxy. It turns out that Flash’s greatest nemesis this time around wasn’t Ming the Merciless but a lack of viewers.

The series debuted on August 10, 2007 on Sci Fi. It was the latest series based on the intergalactic hero’s exploits and stars Eric Johnson (Smallville) and Gina Holden (Blood Ties). Though many science fiction fans were looking forward to the series, most reviews were pretty negative. The producers took the criticisms to heart and worked on improving storylines and adding more Mongo action.

The premiere attracted approximately 2.1 million viewers (one of Sci Fi’s best-rated series premieres of the year) but fell as the season progressed. Flash Gordon’s first season finished airing on February 8, 2008 with the episode entitled “Revolution, part two.”

Sci Fi has been quiet on the subject of the show’s fate though, based on the show’s ratings, a second season hasn’t realistically been expected. As time’s gone on, it’s become apparent that Flash won’t be back to save the world next fall.

At Sci Fi’s recent upfront presentation, Sci Fi president David Howe briefly talked about Flash Gordon. He spoke about it in the past-tense and coupled it with previously cancelled series like The Dresden Files and Painkiller Jane. He feels that the series wasn’t developed enough and said that Sci Fi may try again in a few years – with a fresh take and a bigger budget.

[/unformat]

Gina Holden, the actress who plays Flash’s girlfriend Dale Arden, was recently interviewed on The Doctor and Mrs Who show. Though the series does have its fans, the actress doesn’t hold out much hope for a resurrection campaign being effective. She said, “I think every effort that people make is great but really, unfortunately, it comes down to studio. And I think once they make their mind up, that’s it. That doesn’t mean that I’m not believing but, it’s a tough call. I would just say, enjoy the moment, enjoy what we did do.” Stay tuned! TV Series Finale home page

Rizwan September 14, 2013 at 10:35 pm

I enjoyed this series but the ending. It left me wondering there is any other season coming , but not hoping they will bring it back it a great show syfy created put a little extra adventure it will be great. Hoping to see what happens .

Duke October 7, 2012 at 2:12 am

I like the episodes, except for three if them that seemed
very low budget. I think that if they were going
to end the series, at least they should of not
left you hanging in the last episode. The last
episode should of been a completion, just as
the series was a completion. It’s not right to
Do this to the 35% of the people that did Like
and follow the series???
I think they owe us a completion episode,
or Movie, to leave the followers feeling finished
with the series.
I think the decision makers, should do this
and think about this in the future, with any other
series they do —-if they ever make a new flash
Gordon, especially they should give us the conclusion to
this one, at the beginning of new series??

Mike October 17, 2011 at 8:51 pm

I still don’t understand why they cancelled this show. It was so good. They should at least make a tv movie to resolve the series finale.

lord Jim February 10, 2011 at 10:01 am

Apparently the 3rd episode of this was declared to be “…the worst episode of anything ever” in one of the UK magazines.

OneMoreOneSeasonWonder January 31, 2011 at 11:18 pm

Who wants a great show with that good-bad cult following potential, when you could have Dave Howe and SyFy’s new product-placement friendly cooking show? I’m getting hungry just thinking about it. Guess I’ll go cook up some barbecued sharktopus with a side of mongo salsa – and to drink…gatoroid. Man-o-man, just get on with the ice-9 and kill me now SyFy.

james April 17, 2010 at 5:17 pm

Just started watching this, im on episode seven and this is a good show pity its been cancelled will watch the other episodes because im enjoying the storyline will be sad to get to the end of ep 22

Michael November 13, 2009 at 7:53 pm

This show was getting so good towards the season finale. I was counting very much on seeing the second season. I’ve seen forums and blog that have discussed this show and other like this it — they’re always so hostile — criticising every insignificant little detail. It’s no wonder why the producers lose interest.
I hope they do pick this show up again, I’d like too what would’ve happened next.

Rhonda July 7, 2009 at 11:27 am

Get the reality crap off TV put back on the series and movies. LIFE sucks enough not to have reality on every channel reminds me of the movie Running Man what is TV really becoming and what of our society. People turn off the reality crap and maybe some real TV of Action, Adventure, Comedy, and Fantasy will be back.

Anonymous June 9, 2009 at 9:50 pm

I liked the series.I hope something can be done and fast.

DrMemory April 28, 2009 at 12:40 pm

I walked away from the new Flash Gordon after the pilot, which I hated with a white-hot passion on every level. They took one of the primal sci-fi adventurers and turned him into a mopey jock with daddy issues? And yes, I understand that Ming can’t be Fu Manchu in space anymore, but we deserve better than making him JUST SOME GUY who rules with the power of WATER RIGHTS. It’s like making Darth Vader into some fey douche in a turtleneck, and the Dark Side of the Force into a supernatural understanding of zoning laws.

And yes, this is an entirely unfair evaluation based on one episode, but if anything had actually HAPPENED in the pilot, I may have changed my mind. All I remember of it is a lot of walking, a lot of standing around, and a Stargate ripoff. It just felt like the most misguided thing they tried that season.

No, I never gave this series even the slightest chance. So I guess that makes ME the bad guy.